How much do you have in your "street car?"

Worst part about owning a 17 year old car and modding it isn’t paying for aftermarket shit at all…it’s all the stock shit i have to replace…

between carpets, interior trimming, misc. mechanical parts wearing and breaking in the steering system, electrical components going or gone, etc…

Stock parts i’ve replaced alone (excluding a stock motor, lol) add up to almost what i’ve paid for aftermarket parts, or at least it feels that way…feels like every time i replace something that looks worn, and i feel satisfied with the new one…something else is on it’s way or looking ugly and aged…

The List:

RPS flywheel - $425
RPS Clutch - $325
Hardpipe intake with Pop Charger - $250
New EFI Harness - $365
TT Clip - $2750 (plus $400 to ship)
Water Pump - $95
Timing belt - $30 i think…
UD Pully with belts - $210
Downpipes/Testpipes - $120 (ebay FTW)
Cat Back (Josh’s old one) - $275
Carpeting - $150
Mist Interior Trim - $200
Short Shifter - $100
Speakers - $200
Bumper - $300
Battery - $60 i think

Think that comes to a bit over $6200…and i still have a high 13 second Z32…hardly faster than stock :frowning:

EDIT:

Ha i completely forgot the labor i had to pay for in the swap itself…which brings my total up to $7800…

less than $100

just harnesses and K&N drop in :slight_smile:

3k in performance 5k+ in audio video.

I have just over 10 grand I think… I loose track in my trans am …

More than I ever care to think about or remember.

I overlook the bigger things as part of the bigger picture, but its the little things that put it into perspective. Kinda like today when i bought one PAIR of rod bolts for yeild testing… thats TWO bolts, just TWO… and the bill came to almost 140 bucks.

Now, thats almost 70 a bolt, and I have 20 of those in my engine? Do the math… are you kidding me? I could buy 2-3 winter beaters with my fucking rod bolts!

I can justify high costs on custom parts due to them not being off the shelf or anything close, but even the run-of-the-mill parts like this that cost so much because of what they actually are… When put into perspective, it is somewhat sickening.

3or4 k in a/v

^^^good idea not to post ur town, ect. lol

[quote=“Final GTS,post:105,topic:24117"”]

More than I ever care to think about or remember.

I overlook the bigger things as part of the bigger picture, but its the little things that put it into perspective. Kinda like today when i bought one PAIR of rod bolts for yeild testing… thats TWO bolts, just TWO… and the bill came to almost 140 bucks.

Now, thats almost 70 a bolt, and I have 20 of those in my engine? Do the math… are you kidding me? I could buy 2-3 winter beaters with my fucking rod bolts!

I can justify high costs on custom parts due to them not being off the shelf or anything close, but even the run-of-the-mill parts like this that cost so much because of what they actually are… When put into perspective, it is somewhat sickening.

[/quote]

So exactly what makes a bolt worth $70 bucks?

I had about 15k into my hatch not including what I bought the car for. I’m not doing that again until I have a nice house.

In the Saab I have about $1500 not including car or repairs.

[quote=“BikerFry,post:108,topic:24117"”]

So exactly what makes a bolt worth $70 bucks?

[/quote]

Being the strongest rod bolt on earth helps…

Having 300,000 PSI tensile strength, >260,000 PSI yeild strength, and being a true Multiphase bolt are the technical reasons. SPS-CARR bolts make L19 look like a Hectors Hardware Grade 8… lol.

Other than that… the salesman was feeling lucky? :shrug:

i think you are overdoing it a bit, just hear me out. you realize when you go to a HD rod bolt like this, it’s mainly for revs, and not so much power, right? out of curiosity, how high do you plan on revving? i know it seems like im always on your case, but to me it seems you are buying these things because they are the highest shelf item with the biggest price tag, and not becuase they are the right combo for your build in any aspect. I know your car will be making stupid power, thats a no brainer with a FI viper v10. but, you are belittling a L19 rod bolt, when in actuality the step below ARP2000 would get the job done, and well. what is the goal?, so you can say you have the very best of everything in the car? i mean, thats cool, but beyond unnecessary to have a very well oiled machine that makes stupid power, and be as reliable as you can get it

again, just curious, not here to start any drama at all

well i am not dan but i can pretty much cover this for you. if you are going to spend the amount on a build he is then why cheap out anywhere. would those other rod bolts work yes can he afford to gt the other ones then not have to even worry about it yes. i mean if you have a good amount of money are you going to build a motor with an eagle crank or callies. the eagle one will work. anyhow it is not the way i would do it personally but bothering him for an explination is silly it is just his choice. kind of like why run a rear mounted turbo setup when you know it will be slow lol sorry man hahah no really im just playin with you you new setup is killer.

lol ablake stirring the pot like old times ubrf stylez :tspry:

I agree though, it may seem like overkill, but for what dan is doing, i think that he cant afford to NOT get the absolute best of the best. with the kind of money going into his project, and the level it should perform at, there is really no tolerance for a weak link. i think hes doing it much more out of necessity than to be able to say “omg i got the best bolts”

just my 2 cents…carry on :smiley:

[quote=“turbo ls1 ss,post:111,topic:24117"”]

i think you are overdoing it a bit, just hear me out. you realize when you go to a HD rod bolt like this, it’s mainly for revs, and not so much power, right? out of curiosity, how high do you plan on revving? i know it seems like im always on your case, but to me it seems you are buying these things because they are the highest shelf item with the biggest price tag, and not becuase they are the right combo for your build in any aspect. I know your car will be making stupid power, thats a no brainer with a FI viper v10. but, you are belittling a L19 rod bolt, when in actuality the step below ARP2000 would get the job done, and well. what is the goal?, so you can say you have the very best of everything in the car? i mean, thats cool, but beyond unnecessary to have a very well oiled machine that makes stupid power, and be as reliable as you can get it

again, just curious, not here to start any drama at all

[/quote]

First of all, yes, the rod bolt strength generally does directly impact RPM capability, of course I realize that. The most stress on a rotating assembly ocurs on the exhaust/intake changeover when the piston free-wheels without load, and that is where rod bolts come into play. The combustion stroke does not involve the rod bolts much at all. However, there are other things to take into consideration, that you arent realizing… its called MASS and DOLLARS.

You need to stop talking down to me when you post, because that is exactly what a stupid “poke, gotcha” question like that is doing. You remind me of JNJ, but you dont go so far as to actually call somone stupid. Under the surface, it appears you are always trying to start drama, whether you realize it or not. But, I am going to humor you anyways.

I dont think you are seeing the whole picture…

1. The build I put together is designed to handle an insane amount of power, as such, the components are all vastly overbuilt. As a result, the mass of the rotating assembly increases greatly. Stronger rod bolts are needed to simply to keep it together, even at OEM RPM’s. Since I increased the mass of the rod and piston assembly by almost 50%, as well as plan on pushing the RPM up a little bit + breathing room, stronger rod bolts are a MUST. On the same note, you know that Vipers come with ARP-2000 bolts from the factory, right? And even they snap like twigs at the slightest hint of a spun bearing?

2. The next question is “how strong”. Well, think of it this way; If I DO spin a bearing, and my rod bolts are strong enough to hold together, I just saved a lot of money. If I have a rod bolt fail, for whatever reason, and a rod goes tumbling around in my block… well, lets look at this in real world numbers- its going to take the following peices with it, figuring it could take the two closest rods:

Bolts Let Go:

-Block: 10,000
-Crank: 2,500
-Pistons: 275x3: 825
-Rods: 375x3: 1125
-Wrist Pins: 59x3: 177
-Oiling Pickup: 1,000
-Oil Pan: 450
-Valves: 65x6: 390
-Rockers: 100x6: 600
-Re-Coating new parts: 350
-Labor: A FUCKING LOT

TOTAL: $17,417

That means if I lost a rod cap, I could expect to aquire SEVENTEEN THOUSAND, FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS in damage, not including labor, head damage, gaskets, peripherals… You say I am overdoing it? I say I cant afford not to! For an extra 800 bucks or so, its cheap insurance in the long run, not to mention the amount of down time it has the ability to save.

1. Last reason: fasteners this strong are designed to last the life of the rod, and never need changing. Sorry, but changing rod bolts is not my cup of tea… I would pay the extra cost alone to not have to do that 20 damn times all over again every season.

I can totally understand why using a bolt like this is “out of those world” for the LS1 guys, as you guys have multitudes of cheap off the shelf parts, and can replace a block at a moments notice. Hell, for the 800 dollar difference, you can probably get a spare block! Once you jump into Low-Production, high-dollar stuff, its a whole new set of rules. Money doesnt go as far, and things take much longer.

lol I don’t see how he is over doing it…Its going to make more power then anyone elses setup on this board…

And seeing there are lots of people on here who can barley keep a 500hp motor together people should not talk…

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words…

good answer

And seeing there are lots of people on here who can barley keep a 500hp motor together people should not talk…

Heeeeeyyy…:sad:

I had Titanium Connecting Rods for a 944 based engine in my hands last night. Part of me actually said “might be worth it” till I heard the $5k price tag. I think I’ll be going with the 600 gram “standard” aftermarket ones. (vs almost 900 grams stock and 400 grams for the titanium ones).

Nothing yet :snky:. Well not really :snky: but eh…nothing yet lol.