How to install aftermarket BOV, with stock SMIC

I recently got an aftermarket BOV, and was wondering if i leave the stock one on the SMIC will it affect boost pressure or will it just by-pass the stock BOV. Also will it affect the performance because its not recirculating back through the intake.

Thanks

Chaz

SEARCH man dont even know where to start
you dont need two bovs the only problem you might run into with not reserquing(cant spell) you may have off throtle return to idle prob ie stalling coming to lights when you let off at rpms higher the about 2000

Mael

i thinks he means if he leaves his stock wastegate and runs the BOV aswell

yeah i have an aftermarket BOV welded to a hotpipe, i want to run this BOV, but i am not sure if it will mess up the performance on my engine, because i have a stock side mount intercooler(SMIC), which has a BOV on it, but it recirulates back to the intake, now my new one is atmospheric, and doesn’t recirculate back through. Now what i want to know is, when i hook up the new BOV will the air in the system just by-pass the old one(stock BOV is Not connected, i will not be using it, it will just be dead weight). And will the car run richer because its not getting the same air flow through the intake on shift…

thanks i hope some one understands what i mean now…

Chaz
P.s. i have a 1990 240sx w/ redtop sr20det

in between shifts yes it will run rich
Mael

why won’t the ecu account for lesser air volume? and dump the equivalent amount of fuel instead of dumping a pre-programed amount of fuel to air?

just a thought im putting up

because the maff reads the air coming in tell the ecu to put in a amount of fuel based on that but when your bov goes off all that air leaves the pipes and never reachs the motor (dead air/void) but the ecu is already puting in the fuel the for the amount of air that the maff read.
when you resc the air stays in the pipes and still goes in the motor

yes bad explaination but maybe you get the idea if not im sure someone can and will explain it better then me.

Mael

okay now i dont know what i did, my car is only running 5psi of boost… i put the new BOV on today and just took the small vacuum hose comming from stock bov, and attached it to my new bov, now i never disconnected the old one i even left the recirc. tube on the intake from stock bov(still connected to stock bov aswell), now the only thing i can think of is my car is losing its boost pressure from the stock bov, if it is that to remove stock bov and plug hole, or is it something else. Just incase someone wants to know i do have a manual boost controller, its a turbosmart…

thanks in advanced for anybody’s help, i hate running 5 psi(its just to slow)

Chaz

I would think if you didnt change anything but add a hot pipe and bov its probably the clamps or the new bov.
is the new one new or used?
are you using worm clamps or t clamps?
if you take the new one out and replace the vacum line on the resq do you still only have 5psi or does it go back to normal?

when you idle your car what vacum does your gauge read?

what is this new bov your using(who makes it)

my vacuum reading is 20, and the BOV is i believe a knock off version of the greddy type rs, and all the clamps are good, but does the stock BOV need to be blocked off?or at least the recirc part of it

thanks
Chaz

as long as you have no vacum feed to the stock one it will be fine and do nothing.

knok off take it off return your set up to stock and see if you still have probs
-20 is like perfect so you should have no leaks in your system although your bov may be leaking under boost
just a hunch but your bov maybe the prob. (spring maybe to soft and charged air is pushing past the bov.

yeah i found out the problem, my stock bov was allowing charged air to pass through and recirc back to the intake, so i’ve removed the stock one and plugged the pipe, now im back to running 10 psi, so its good! hey oni-kyan thanks a lot for all the great help…now theres another problem, it feels like my car bogs down when accelerating, then picks up after like two seconds. could this be turbo lag, because im not used to it running efficiently… like before i guess the stock bov, was boosting the system but also sending air to the intake… i dont know, but i feel it runs better now after that bog down…anyways thanks again bud…

Chaz

bogs down as in no power untill you hit 2000rpm ish?
if thats the case then yes it the turbo spooling and building pressure through out the system.

and your welcome im glad i could help

Mael