HUD problems

okay so heres my problem:

when i go out in the morning when its cold out and start the car my dash doesn’t light up (digital speedo). i mean nothing with headlights on or off… so i have no idea how fast im going. finally after about 10 mins worth of driving the dash lights finally come on. usually just as im getting to work. im pretty sure its a temperature related problem, once i get to about 160-170 deg it works.
im also wondering if someone might have a wiring diagram for hud cluster.

if you are good with a soldering iron , pull the hud module out and re-solder the pins in the board , my old heads up did the same thing until i soldered it.

farmer

i had/have the same problem with my hud

took 10-15 mins in the fall

teh colder it was outside, the longer it took to come on

warning and indicator lights worked at all times

dash backlighting and speedometer (and hud) didnt work until warmed up

i keep hearing the cause is supposed to be a capacitor that blows/loses connection with the board

there’s a writeup somewhere on the net (at least there used to be) about which capacitor to get, and where it is

i wouldnt do it yourself unless youre an ace at soldering electronics

same problem. been winter driving like that for the last 2 seasons. no issues if you just take it easy for the first few minutes and stay a bit under the limit.

even got pulled over once when i just started driving and the cop didn’t even notice the cluster lights were out :smiley:

not worth the hassle imo. sorry i can’t really offer much help, but i wouldn’t worry too much if i were you.

sweet… ill look for the info on soldering the board… im pretty handy with a soldering iron so ill give it a try. I also found the wiring diagram in the fsm (duh). so i was also thinking it could be the light control buttons on the dash to control the brightness.