Hurt at work, would you sue?

I got hurt at work today. My neck and upper back are killing me. I’m in a neck brace and am out of work for some time now.

What happened was: I was carrying my ladder back to my truck and just about where the driveway meets the sidewalk I slipped on a large patch of ice. I had my 28ft ladder, cordless drill and signal meter all on me. I hit the ground hard, followed by the 28ft ladder landing on my neck and driving my head into the ground.

I heard the neighbor scream, then the customer ran over and told me not to move and that he was calling an ambulance. I never lost conciseness and was alert through the whole thing. I layed there on the ice not moving as instructed and waited for the ambulance. They arrived quickly and they were also slipping all over the ice, as was the customer who was still standing there. The paramedics did their whole routine, then off to the hospital I went.

After about 5 hours in the hospital with them doing everything they did, x-rays and what not, I was just told that everything looks fine on the x-rays and I will just be sore for a while. But it still hurts like hell.

Now my question is, if you were in my shoes would you be calling an attorney and trying to get money for pain and suffering? Part of me wants to because this kills and could have been prevented of someone would have salted their driveway, the other part of me thinks I should just live with the pain and take it as a lesson learned to pay more attention to where I am walking.

I would sue the customer not work. Ice on their property is their problem not your works.

Or hell sue both of them and get a lot of money, just make sure to have a good lawyer.

Edit: The American way of life is to sue, so you might as well.

My parents do snow plowing/removal/salting in the winter, there has been a few slip and falls where people have sued with little to no injury but a bruised ego… so I think you are golden. (but those slip and falls were before they even salted so it was dismissed)

I would only sue for lost wages and pain and suffering, dont go overboard.

1-800-joes-dad

how is the customer not salting the driveyway, your employers responsibility? you were pretty vague.

I’m not sure on any of this. Who would you sue in this situation? i would assume the person who didn’t salt their driveway right?

So let me get this straight, you weren’t being very careful and slipped and fell on some ice in a winter climate… no injury minus minor aches and pain and you want $$$? For what?

Jesus… this is exactly the reason why insurance is through the roof

good luck with that’:spunk:

I’m pretty sure if the company is properly setup/insured an employee can’t sue the customer they go to for getting hurt on their property…

How about lets not be a total douche bag.

I was being careful. Have you ever carried a large heavy ladder. You have to pay attention to what is 10ft behind you and 10ft in front of you at all times. On top of that try to avoid trudging through the mud so you don’t track it into customers houses, so the driveway seems like a safe bet right? If I was doing anything unsafe it was only being where I was when I was, which I dont chose which house I can go to. And if nothing else I am out $200 today and $200 tomorrow and so on til I am allowed back to work. It’s busy right now and slow season is coming. This is when I make my money.

+1. Your job is installing satellite dishes, and you’re expected to go on the roof and into people’s back yard where they don’t shovel, plow or salt.

Sounds like you need some better boots, maybe some with metal studs for walking on ice.

Your employer should cover your medical bills and lost wages, if they dont then you can threaten with a lawsuit.

Try to get lost wages from work first. Suing is a huge pain in the ass for all parties.

I would talk to an attorney first of all. just to see who the liability falls upon. that will lead you in the right direction. don’t trust anything your work says.

Yes they can, I speak from experience, some dirtbag fell on my property.
Reason number 99999999 this state sucks.
If you call an attorney they will PRESSURE you into suing.

I wouldn’t be asking NYSpeed for legal advised…for anything. Ever.

what happened? your home owner’s insurance take the hit?

I will let you know in a couple years when all the BS ends.
This guy said his back hurt about 9 months after it happened!!!

Working on the books? If so, workers compensation is your only option. You can’t sue your employer unless gross negligence is found, & an icy driveway won’t qualify…
If you are working off the books, chances are you can sue your “employer” & the home owner. Make sure you fell on private property & not the street or sidewalk. Every township has different laws but you must file in (i think) 30 days from time of accident.

Call 854-2020!!!
:snky: While your out of work, make sure you don’t do anything you shouldnt doing such as snowblowing the driveway, shoveling the sidewalk, working on your car with the garage door open, etc…
Trust me, been there…

Well if you go after your employer you may want to brush up on OSHA violations that you may have been guilty of. If you were carrying that ladder on your own with other stuff too you may be resonsible for your own accident…

This is why when someone falls on your property you want to finish them off while they’re still down.

Dead people can’t sue, and their relatives can only use the word of a dead person vs you. :wink:

+1 call work and find out what they will do …with any OSHA violations they may also be on your side b/c its a one man turck and they have you carrying the ladder on your own and such

and on a side note there was a woman that fell in my dads parking lot 6 years ago and we just found out 2 months ago that she is sueing so it also may take a few years to even see a penny