Hyundai surprises me more and more every day...

Hyundai Kia Automotive group…Hyundai has a stake in Kia. They are nearly one in the same.

I drove one a 4dr genesis I was amazed. The car I drove was a V8 and it had a lot of power and was really really nice inside. good fit and finish, and good interior feel. killer audio system too.

Yes because here in American people don’t buy anything based on brand name.

I have no experiences with Hyundai…but Motor Trend summed it up as something like this: “While all others are painting masterpieces, Hyundai is coloring by number”. Further wording basically called Hyundai out for trying to copy what has been done by the big players, only not doing as good of a job.

The OP posted a car that ‘looks sharp’…which it most definitely does thanks to some referencing of others. On paper the numbers may be similar to the higher class cars, but it’s gonna take some time for the Hyundai name to prove itself as a superior brand (in my opinion).

Barf, the front of that car looks awful. There is a huge amount of body line stealing going on with this car as everyone already mentioned. I definitely see a resemblance to the e60 and the newer merc e-class.

That’s because people are cheap therefore they buy cheap craptastic cars. Unfortunately thats why that huge hyundai douchebag does so well.

LOL you forgot the Sarcasm tag.

I would buy a Hyundai or the new Kia Optima no problem. They have made leaps in quality. My wife actually will be test driving several of them this weekend so I may actually own one.

The new Kia Sorento is on my list of possible replacements for the Expedition. I haven’t driven one yet but did check it out in person at the dealership and was impressed. Unfortunately had to cross off the Murano because last summer we used the 3rd row a lot more and decided we want a 3rd tow in the replacement.

What tow capacity are you shooting for?

3500 minimum. Boat + trailer + fuel I’m sitting at 2950.

yeah, that’s what I figured. I’m planning my next suv purchase too so I’ve been looking at some possible midsize trucks. I would prefer something that can tow 4500-5000 though.

I’ve been shopping replacements for my Expedition for 3 years now. :slight_smile: As long as it keeps running and not costing me major money I’ll continue “shopping” while enjoying no car payments.

haha yeah. Same thing here. I’m ~1 year out probably, at least. I don’t like paying insurance on 3 cars, but it’s cheaper than a loan payment so it’s good for now.

I wouldn’t base my opinion on what Motor Trend says…
That’s been Hyundai’s MO from the get go, copying and taking bits and pieces from others.
http://www.distrocars.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/2006-Hyundai-Sonata-Rear-Side.jpg

I see bits of an old Jetta and Toyota hatch here…

I’ve seen a few of the newer Hyundais’ up close, sat in a few and it does appear they have made some steps in the right direction and of course it will take time for them to come full circle and leave their cheaper/econobox past behind.

So you are agreeing with Motor Trend’s blanketed statement that they have been following the leaders, copying them along the way. I, nor MT, never said they were not nice cars…it’s just that they aren’t on the same level yet as the bigger players.

I suppose I read into your statement wrong…I’m saying give them time to shake their past.
What I was also kind of getting at, “Thanks MT for stating the obvious”.
But lets be honest, all car companies take something from one another…Prius and Insight?

[QUOTE=Z31NA2

EDIT: What the hell happened to this post?

Apparently there are people on here that are too cool to drive a hyundai… and also have no idea what they are talking about and I’m the crazy one.

Dime- I don’t care how many old bmws your family has

word…

and i know im gonna get flamed for saying this, but at the detroit auto show…i was more impressed with pretty much every car mfg except bmw + merc…and maybe toyota. To me - they all seem to be just doing business along the lines of ‘were bmw/merc/toyota, we dont need to do anything to impress you because the brand name already has you hooked’. Which i guess thats kind of proved in this thread…no actual comparisons between the car companies, just people saying “theres no way the hyundai is as good as the bmw, because the bmw is, well a bmw”

I wonder how long its gonna be before those car companies that are betting sales off of the brand name end up slipping like chevy/ford/other failing car company

I don’t think it’s that they’re too good for a hyundai (well some probably are), but for a lot of people I just think anything over $30k for a Hyundai is just too much.

Actually Fucillo sells the least amount of Hyundais in WNY out of the all 4 dealers (I’m one of them). And yes soon Genesis will be its own stand alone name plate which will include genesis sedan/coupe, Veracruz and Equus. Hyundai keeps breaking sales records and customer retention records left and right. I have worked the Auto show the last 2 days and you would be amazed at the traffic around the redesigned sonata/elantra and equus, especially from other salesman lol. I actually had a Honda salesman tell me the new Elantra is killing his civic sales and they have no shot of competing with the base options/40mpg and 10yr warranty.

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

On a side note i have taken numerous Acura TL/RL’s on trade for sonata/genesis (even a well known member on here) as well as Audi a4/a6, multiple 3series on Genesis sedans and hell i even took a c5 6spd trade for a new Tucson lol. People in Buffalo ARE bargain shoppers, end of stroy if a simarly equppied car is less money with a better warranty and better MPG they are buying it. Please anyone here be honest if you are at the auto show sit in the hyundai line up and check out simarly equipped toyota/hona/ford/gm and give me your honest opinion.