Idea for a new swap

FC RX-7 with STi motor…Anyone know if its been done? What do you guys think?

Wait for it…

Would it fit? Aren’t those motors really wide.

I don’t know. Thats why I’m asking. So many people love to shove the LS1 motor into it. But the LS1 would deff move the CG around. The flat 4’s have a similiar height to the rotaries thus the CG in the vertical position wouldn’t be effected as much. Food for thought?

PS, what are we waiting for, more scifi pics?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/87FOXGT/picard.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/87FOXGT/thankya.gif

Not gonna happen, at least not without a ton of work. And even then there is little advantage to it considering other options out there.

^^Theres a good response compared to rx3 and 87fox

I can think of a way better platform to stuff an STI motor, with ease, a sub 2000 lbs car

Is that what they are teaching you at Wyotech? Contemplation of near impossible/not ideal swaps?

You get mad when people don’t give you good responses, but you aren’t doing yourself any favors when you don’t even think about what you are posting.

Just some food for thought…you mentioned the LS1 would move around the CG. No doubt that is true, but think about the rotary vs the LS1 and where in the engine the weight is concentrated. The LS1 is an extremely bottom heavy motor. The heavy shit (crank, oiling system, rods/pistons/cam) is all in the bottom of the engine. With the rotary, it’s basically all in the middle, with the e-shaft and then evenly distributed around with the rotors and housings. Not exactly ideal.

Now, the flat 4 might move the weight lower, but I doubt the costs/work outweigh the benefits.

No Wyotech does not teach that, just an idea I had in my own head. I thought about it to the extend of my knowledge, then I through the idea out here for more feedback.

I wish Wyotech taught English. :bloated:

I’m sorry I’m not an A+ English student. I do my best to spell everything properly and also get it grammitcally correct.

i’m just here for the smiley!

Articzap, I’ve met you a couple times, like when playing iD. You mean well, but dude, the picard picture was appropriate and necessary for this thread. I mean it sounds like you just randomly picked a somewhat high yielding engine and some random rwd vehicle.

The swap would cost gobs of money. LSX/LT1s are great swap engines because they are cheap and there is a ridiculous amount of aftermarket support for the engine. Not to mention the rotaries in the FC’s was reliable anyways and didn’t have the seal problems that the FD’s did. ( i cant remember the engine codes for some reason )

Not only that, but the STi’s are ridiculously expensive in comparison to purchase, modify and support. Did you even consider the fact that the STi is AWD and the FC’s are RWD? There is another super million dollars down the drain.

And if you are going to spend all that money for one-off stuff, why not put it into a better chassis than the fucking FC? The FC has a pretty strong rear end, but what else? There isn’t the same kind of suspension support from the aftermarket either.

You swap cheap shit ( LT1s, 98 LS1s ) into cheap cars, for a fast, cheap car

You don’t swap expensive shit ( LS7s, RB26DET, STi Engines ) into cheap shit, you put them into good shit. ( unless you are newman, but the exception doesnt prove the rule- )

/rant

Ahahahah

Ex.) STi swaps into things even like a 2.5rs or a Impreza L turn around and sell for 10-13k depending on mods and how well the swap went through because the STi swap is a costly one.

Ahem, where else are you going to find a popular RWD chassis that boxy!

first gen s-10

BOOM

I never said this was a practical swap but something that could be done. Similiar examples, newmans bmw, the 20b corrola or rb in a supra. I deff feel this could be a cool swap if it was done and fast but w.e, this thread is done.

^^ out of line. you know nothing of what wyotech teaches its students. esp. what classes dave is taking. Dave is in collision/refinishing and not auto./ems.

wyotech is not a finalization school. it only prepares you to be an entry level technician/and or if you qualify, like me, to go to more school(i.e. manufacturer spec. schooling) you will learn only manufacturer spec. OEM training. nothing after market anway.

so please dont bash something with which you have no experience