If you want to kill yourself and the planet, buy a dodge challenger

I find it extremely odd, and even more monumentally amusing that car makers are engaged in such of an intense horsepower war. It seems recently, car makers have been making cars with such high hp ratings that in a not so long ago past, could only be bragged about by supercar makers. The bit that I love most…is the timing. All of these beautiful cars are hitting the markets at a time when everyone is afraid that global warming is going to kill them. I mean…everything needs to be green, otherwise the polar bears are going to die and we’re all going to drown when the sea level rises 5mm in the next 50 years.

It’s like all of the car makers were at the G9 meet listening to everyone’s viewpoint of global warming, was nodding very sympathetically to the stories of starving seals and how the natives near the equator are getting chapped skin because we’re cutting down the rain forest and robbing the air of moisture. Left the summit, went down to the pub, ordered pints and bitters for everyone and made plans for their future million hp car and wondered if they could fit laser beams instead of head lights.

Here’s a couple of examples (besides your ZR1, GTR’s and what not)
BMW M5 (a 500hp saloon) It’s like your family mazda 3 using napalm instead of steroids.
http://autojunkie.blogspot.com/M5.bmp

BMW’s on a roll when they unveiled their new v8 m3 with something like 425hp

Mercedes joined in with the c63 amg…aimed to compete with the M3…and missed
Sorta overcompensated with 500hp
http://benzinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/amg63.thumbnail.jpg

The next bit…I find even more interesting…besides the environmental factor. These are cars with ratings 400hp + that are under $40k…there’s a commonality…you’ll see

Dodge Challenger 425hp with a future srt8 coming out
http://www.allcarwallpapers.com/wallpapers/previews/dodge-challenger-concept-5302.jpg

Camaro…something like 400hp (for now)
http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat/archives/camaro.jpg

then you got your regular guys like 300c and charger srt8’s
http://www.drivesrt.com/en/images/charger_homepage.jpg
http://www.drivesrt.com/en/images/300c_homepage.jpg

The thing is…in our economic times, it’s not hard for a dad to spoil his teenage son with a sports car. I remember back in my day a fully decked out RSX type-S with all options included was around $40k
http://www.nice-wheels.co.uk/images/03-Acura-RSX-A-SPEC-R-3_4.jpg
that had like…what…an area of 200hp?

So why do people trip out when a rich spoiled kid takes out his daddy’s m5 crashes and kills himself along with his buddy?

I don’t mean to be morbid, but with these cars…what do you think is going to happen? We’re talking stock, out of the box, cars capable of doing low 13’s quarter miles.

There’s going to be a lot of dead kids…and taking the polar bears along with them…while starving seals too.

thats it, I’m gutting my catalytic

i see your point, much agreed, but on the other hand what guy wants to drive a toyota yaris? 1.5L vvti 103hp 107torque… not exactly ball’zy you know…(my g/f has a 07 yaris) they can be s/c or turbo, but still.
global warming isn’t caused by car’s with high hp, how about the millions of airplanes traveling around in the skies. everytime a 747 takes off, the exhaust is equal to that of 3 million smokes. these fuckers are try’n to blame cars… it’s stupid.

if the m3 didn’t have 500hp i’d kick bmw’s ass. have u seen the vid of a m3 turbo and a modenna racing on the hiway at night, 300kph side by side. everytime someone would shift, the other guy would pull ahead about half a car. the m3 having 500hp, not surprized…

as for the new camaro and challenger etc, those are just ways of making more money, they are trageting the ppl that don’t care about the stupid polarbears!! which i’m sure is alot of ppl!! the transformer’s movie only fueled the hype for the camaro. much like F&F did with the supra and the whole import sence.

in england or somewhere over there, they are charging big car/truck/suv’s 50$ to drive in the city, but if u have a eco friendly car, it doesn’t cost anything. maybe they should start doing that here.(it was on the news)

as for the catalytic, i took that shit off a long time ago!!

Do you ever research before you post stupid things like this?
These cars ALL get AMAZNIG gas milage for the HP numbers they produce. These are not the 500HP monsters from the past that only get 5MPG.

Those cars all pass the goverments emissions standards with flying colours. So what is your beef?

Would you rather a world where everyone drives cars like this?

http://images.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2006/112_news060628_01z+daimler_chrysler_smart_car+passenger_side_view.jpg

I wouldn’t…

If I could justify it I would be on the wait list for a new Dodge challenger…that car is so hot it hurts.

I’m not beefing about these cars…if you read my article…it’s filled with sarcasm…

if you read on at all…i’m actually making fun of those who target only cars as the sole offender of greenhouse emissions…

i mean…hell… a freaking cow’s fart contains more greenhouse gases than a freaking landrover! But you don’t seen the green people trying to ban out cows!!!

In fact…i love the modern american muscle cars…i love the fact that they don’t give two shits about who’s saying what…they just wanna make good ol’ fashion, american muscle cars.

Same thing with bmw and mercedes…they all heard criticism about what their cars do to the environment…they nod and smile…and they make the smart car to please the government. Then they turn around and create beasts like their c63amg

So why don’t you learn how to read between the lines before opening your mouth? In fact…if you love the dodge challenger so much…buy one…
i look forward to dancing on your grave when you crash into a parked smart car

btw…that was sarcasm…
chill out…i was just trying to amuse people in the morning by providing some humor to this forums…relax bud!

besides…if you’re going to die in a car crash…it might as well be in a dodge challenger than a smart car…
it’s just so much cooler…

imagine blowing past the pearly gates of heaven…flipping around in a big ball of flame…

now that’s a baller death

they dont make the smart car anymore, but thats not the point! with today’s tech they should all get good to decent gas milage. the way i look at it, if u can afford the car, u can afford the gas.

my g/f’s got a yaris, it’s not the fastest thing in the world, but i spend 45$(premium gas) to fill it, and get 600km in the city. yea it’s small, but surprizingly roomy on the inside. i’m 6’2 and i can sit in the back with the passenger seat all the way back, and still have leg room. yea it looks gay(atleast it’s not the 5dr) but it’s cheap to maintain, and perfect for my g/f to boot around in. more room then the 240, and it HAS CUP HOLDERS, no more roasting my nutz on my tim horton’s!!

in a world where gas keeps going up and im sure it wont be coming down, i’m glad we have a yaris. 45$ every 2 weeks. can’t beat that.

that’s exactly my point though…car companies get rated on gas mileage not on just one specific car…but on an average

so they need cars like the yaris so that on an average they can make a higher performance car…(if or whenever toyota decides to bring the supra back)

but that’s why mercedes has the smart…so on an average they can afford to make cars like the c63

for every gas guzzling car that a car maker produces…there is an near equal car that is fuel efficient

but you guys are right…cars nowadays are much better to the environment…i mean there are even cases where cars emissions are cleaner than the air around them…effectively acting like a freaking vacuum cleaner…

it’s already been proven that cars that are 10 years and older make up 90 percent of the greenhouse effects…not the modern ones

which is why i love these high horsepower cars…it pisses green people off
shrugs I find it very amusing…that’s all…

lol, a vacuum, thats about whats under the hood of the yaris!!!

i don’t understand y ppl rag on everyday vehicles, i like racing as much as the next guy, but nascar, how much fuel is wasted so they can go in a fucking oval… personally its boring untill they crash, i’m sure those car’s aren’t eco friendly, the gas milage at 8000rpm’s probably isn’t to good.

if i rag on nascar i have to hit the f1’s, craftsman trucks, rally, boat etc. u don’t hear anything about any of them try’n to make a difference. tree hugger’s are hitting chevy, but who care’s about the pollution from jeff gordon’s race car…

i don’t think they will be putting catalytic’s on f1’s anytime soon, but they can’t just single out cars and trucks on the road. what about the ones off the road. i’m sure there is more exhaust from a plane in one trip then from my car all year!

while were hating on nascar, it was at one time a respectable racing form, when stock car racing was “stock car” racing the type of racing that forced doge to sell people charger daytonas and super birds… or the camaro zl2 / corvete zl-1 the rare all aluminum big block cars that were selling for 3x the cost of a normal one… ahh fun times… i wish they still had to do that… imagine if your 300zx looked liek the race one? or if your s12 had massive wide fenders liek the impul one… anywho i would love a new challenger also, then i can kill my self in a ridiculous high hp import or a domestic depending how i feel for the day

I figure these guys are making their one last attempt at huge horsepower cars. Real soon Governments are probably going to enforce massive emissions law and gas usage laws on car manufacturers. One last decade of gas wasting super cars before we’re all driving Tesla roadsters or that stupid Honda that runs on water.

http://image.hotrod.com/f/editorials/you-know-what-grinds-my-gears/1034951+w500+cr1+re0+ar1/what-grinds-my-gears.jpg

Meh…

few things: Global Warming is comlpete and utter bullshit, and the HP war is not even close to ending.

Global Warming: The earth, over the past 4 billion years or so, has gone through various periods or warming and cooling. It has nothing to do with cars or emissions in anyway… Rather, i should say the reverse, if we all stopped driving cars, killed all the methane producing cows and stopped producing energy in CO2 producing plants we would not slow the warming of the Earth. Tehrefore, there is no reason to be such a pussy about it.

The whole emissions standards thing is a way of engineering consent on behalf of the population to not drive their old beater and to go out and buy a new car. Steve Harper already stated a couple years back that the best thing a Canadian can do for it’s country / economy is to get rid of their old car and go buy a new one.

That is why newer cars are exempt and why you are obliged to spent $X on your car to e-test it if it fails… the idea is that you will get fed-up, not want to invest the money into the car and go buy a new one.

Fuck that, you lose thousands of dollars when you buy a new car, the bank and the automaker take that money… I am learning that now with the car i bought for my wife… I will never buy a new car again until i am seriously well-off and losing $8k in depreciation is less important than having the newest coolest shit.

second, the HP war.

Introducing, BMW’s Twin Turbo V8 destined for the new X6 concept.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/5591/v8ttcoverxm4.png

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/5591/v8ttcoverxm4.png

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2693/v8ttsidehs5.jpg

>>>

The range-topping X6 xDrive50i is propelled by an all-new twin-turbo 4.4-liter V8 unit producing 407 horsepower at 5500 rpm and 446 pound-feet of torque between 1750 rpm and 4500 rpm. The sprint to 62 mph takes just 5.4 seconds and fuel economy is estimated at around 19 mpg (U.S. gallons).

The engine is designed as a replacement to the company’s current 4.8-liter naturally-aspirated V8. It is expected to filter into other models like the 5-Series, 6-Series and 7-Series in the near future.

The engine seems to represent the second stage in a shift at BMW from high-displacement naturally-aspirated motors to slightly smaller turbocharged powerplants. BMW’s twin-turbo 3.0-liter engine that powers the 335i and 135i has been met with overwhelmingly positive reviews, and it appears BMW is hoping for similar results with its new V8.

The X6’s other engine is also a twin-turbo setup. The xDrive35i will come with the aforementioned 3.0-liter inline-six from the 335i, producing 306 horsepower.

A diesel model will be offered in Europe, but it is unlike to come to America.

>>>

The TTV10 is already in the works…

imagine swapping a factory TTV8 into your M3??

simple reflash, exhuast etc. nets 410whp on the TTV6, you’ll be looking at a reliable 600whp on the TTV8 and a reliable 750whp on the TTV10…

Apperently Top Gear thinks the C63 is better then the new M3, I don’t think they missed the mark, and it has around 455hp, not 500, only the bigger 63 model AMGs have about 505hp.

haha, Top gear…

it’s because they don’t like the every day mundane car…(like myself)…they do recongize the new m3 is an incredible car…but the c63’s dont care much about anything else but “POWWWEERRR”

^ lol, not true…Jeremy agreed on stupid points, mainly revolving around power
but overall I think the final verdict was the M3 but since they said that only “Cocks” drive them they would of cleared it out. :wink:

*it was powersliding soo much, they couldn’t make it squash an apple
around an apex after so many attempts…whereas the M3 grab the corner
and got it, then Jeremy grabbed a chunk of it and ate it :smiley: good times! haha

The point they are trying to stress is that the M3 used to be in a class on it’s own. For the price, you couldn’t get anything as good. Now though, they jacked up the price and they are getting creamed in the class.

It doesn’t have enough power to keep up with the C63, it’s only down 30hp, but the AMG has over 150 extra ft-lb of torque available like 2000rpm sooner.

And it doesn’t handle well enough to beat the Caymen S. Yeah the Caymen has no back seat, but the M3 rear seat is just extra weight anyways.

And it doesn’t grip enough to beat the RS4. All wheel drive will be king in any country that has winter (when the owner is to stupid to store the car)

It’s lost in a class now, whereas before, it was in a class on it’s own.

well put and very true!

I had an 2004 M3 and hated it. Everyone seems to have one.

u need to spring for the m3 turbo. keep up with a mondenna(sp??) no problem!

I personally am thrilled about the horsepower war.

High horsepower != high emissions necessarily…as already discussed. These newer cars are taking steps forward in efficiency. Besides, more & more hybrids will be on the way to allow consumers to make their own choices.

Oh, and don’t forget the new Audi RS6 (2008-2009?)…twin-turbo V10 with approx 500-600hp… :slight_smile:

boba240, why was the 2004 M3 no good?