Import Papers for Japanese cars???

I just bought a 180sx, and is currently going through safety inspection. but they are telling me i need some kind of “Import Papers” to prove what year it is. I’m the second Canadian owner of this car. do i have to get this from the guy who imported it? or could nissan give me this info??
Please help, Thanks

Probly gonna need to get the info from the previous owner, I had to produce my import papers in order to get my Skyline OOP’ed, and I was the 2nd owner, the first being the dealer I bought it from. It basically proves that the car is entitled to be in Canada and has gone through customs. Nissan won’t have any info cause the car was never sold in North America.

alright thanks. I will try that out. If he doesn’t have them though you’d think nissan would be able to get that for me? i don’t know who else could

No Nissan couldnt get them for you. You could possibly get a copy from the original importer of the car.

yeah the importer would be the best bet cuz they keep a copy when they sell you the car. and if not. then customs canada could be a possibility. but if the cars been registered in canada, or alberta, i dont think you need your import papers. do somemore research man. i know its b.s. but you can find little loopholes

Hey DS_180sx! I sent ya a reply inregards to your e-mail message. If that doesn’t work I can try to talk to Allen Petersen from 4kruzn.com who I bought the car from. But its been over 2 years since it has gone thru the original OOP I dunno if he will still have any papers. I checked my stuff and I don’t have anything, also I don’t think I got anything back from the DMV when I went to register the car. They kept all the paperwork.

Has the car been registered in Alberta already? If so, you don’t need the import papers.

The registration from Alberta motor vehicles will show the year, like every other friggen car registered in Alberta, which was determined by the registrar taking the import papers the first time it was registered in Alberta. These import papers are completed by Customs when the car first comes into Canada and the owner needs to take these with them for the first registration in the province they choose to enter.

The inspector doesn’t need the papers and is just being an ass!!! Ask him if he requires all other cars already registered in Alberta for “Import papers”. Go somewhere else before you waste any more of your time.

if its been registed anywhere in canada you dont need those papers just need to show the old registration, tell the guy to shove it up his ass

werd

the biggest thing is you need to clarify to them that its a safty inspection your after not an opi.
and if they continue to persist that you need your form 1 go to another facility
last year a buddy of mine went thru that shit at CT they kept insisting that he needed a form 1 and also before that insisted that the car needed an out of country inspection and not a our of province…
that was a hassle convincing them that they were wrong.

Thanks for all the help. I booked another safety inspection with a diff place this time. now i just have to stop the rack and pinion from leaking. a new one costs $1800 + tax. I’m hoping to fix it by replacing the boots and all the seals, which came to just over $100.