Intake cleaner/stalling

A crazy thing hapened yesterday, after my fiance’s car got repainted (2002 Eclipse) when we picked it up it barely made it home…kept stalling. I would have to put it in neutral at red lights and keep the RPMs up. When we picked it up fro South Park Mitsubishi the manager said the auto body shop (in Bentlyville) said it needs the battery terminals cleaned and may need a new battery. Never said anything about stalling or anything. I live like 1.5 miles from the dealer and with my fiance driving it stalled at least 5-6 times…so I have no idea how it came from Bentlyville. Well I called the shop and they were closed…then called the dealer and the manager said the person who dropped it off said it stalled and needed a jump…never said anything about it stalling out a lot. So I took it down to advance to get the battery checked…it was bad. Got a new one and it wouldn’t stall but the idle still seemed rough and spiratic but not really that bad. So I took some carb cleaner and a soft bristle brush and cleaned the throttle body out. It seemed to clean it up a bit but just doesn’t seem perfect.

This is just weird…why would this happen after I take it to get painted? Why would changing the battery make the problem better but not fix it totally? I restarted the car at least 10-15 times thinking since the battery was out the computer needs to reset itself. Should I just keep driving it and see if it gets better?

Should I get some intake cleaner and do that? If so what is the best stuff?

Also I was thinking could this have anything to do with a sensor…air…tranny??

any SEL? how bad is it running right now? i’d say they must have taken the battery out, put it back in with poor connections. if its not running horrible, with no SEL, keep driving it till relearn is done and see what happens.

Well I think it just had to run/be started a few more times for the computer to relearn everything. It is running perfect now. I just think it is crazy how taking out the battery can make it THAT bad. Seriously any time you were close to idle speed (in neutral or in gear) it would stall.

i was gonna say the intake was disconnected somewhere… but who knows. and i have seen where chryslers loose their idle when they loose power. and isnt that pretty much chrysler car or just the older ones? who knows but its running better now so good shit

i was also gonna say loose vac line? not a good spark??
just some things would’ve checked.

also if your looking for good engine cleaner (carbon cleaner) try Seafoam, it works great.

and for intake cleaner try seafoam-deep creep

That was the first thing i checked…all lines looked connected and in good condition.

I heard great things about seafoam…smokey ran the injector cleaner through his gas tank on his old Vette and it worked great. Maybe I will get some for the intake. But it is running spot on now…just crazy how disconnecting the battery would make a car run that bad…actually pretty dangerous.

The battery being bad gave low voltage. The alt was trying to recharge it and was giving bad voltage due to the drain of the battery. New battery took care of that. The plugs might have been dirty since it was not running correctly. ( poss rich) You should have no problem now. When I worjed at a chrysler garage we had a Ram that had a tranny problem. We knew it was electric in nature. Called the tech line. I was told it was dirty battery connections. Passed that on to the tech who was 1 of the best. His comment was if that was it he would quit. Well luckly he just cleaned them and stayed on. It is amazing what a little difference in reference voltage will do.

our tranny in our f-650 was stuck in 4th gear and the tach stopped working. sent it to sterling up north somewhere they work in allison’s and found it was just a dirty connection to the tranny

that sucks…

i’ve always heard and noticed on a beater car, that GM’s sometimes have problems getting stuck in overdrive, but come to learn that unplugging a sensor on the tranny makes it run fine again. ( cant remember if it disables the miles counting tho