interested in using Lexan.....

Im thinking about using Lexan or polycarbonate or something like it for my car, anybody around here have any constructive input on it? anybody know of any local businesses that sell or more importantly, cut or mold it to fit the curvature of an auto? Thanx guys.

I can get it for you. How to use it, or mold it… i dont know. but the local company that will sell it in any shape size and color is Curbell.

Pretty sure great Lakes Plastic on Broadway also carries it. If you’re thinking of a windshield I’m pretty sure it MUST have the offical Lexan logo permanently embossed on it.

For my rear quarters and rear hatch I have poly and it’s easy to use and doesn’t need molding. It’s thin enough to work the shape on the fly.

http://wetzelsracing.com/images/mp67a.jpg

it normally yellows and scracthes very easily.
I used it in my race car at holland and it scratched too easily for my liking.
you might be able to retrofit an acura legend glass moonroof in the roof.

it polishes really easy if you do scratch it…

More of a pain in the ass then its worth

How much weight saving did you get from using poly and about how much did i cost you ive been thinking of doing this with my car??

You know, they make kits for cars. There are a bunch of different kinds of lexan specifically for autos that need scratch resistance for wipers, and such.

A good site: http://www.up22.com/index.htm

Know exactly where it is, I pass it on a reg basis, thanx. How exactly did you install it? Ive never done it before. Is poly or lexan pretty bendable? I get the idea that its rather firm, and that it would have to be heated and molded some…

Its actually for a moonroof. My crx had an aftermarket glasstop sunroof installed prior to me purchasing it, and it blew out and shattetered. I have no idea what make or model it was, just that it was rather large (larger than the factory ones). and NOBODY wants to even touch it to replace the glass, so im looking for alternatives.
I dont know about the legend moonroofs, not sure what size they were. Any info?

thanx for the site, i appreciate it.

tear off’s to cover it then?

if its just for a moonroof you can pick up some at homedepot and cut it yourself, careful though, it cracks easy

tear offs?

on the dirt we run these, its a thin plastic cover that goes over the top of our helmet shields.
When too much dirt gets on it, we simply tear it off, and theres another clean one under it.

Nascar uses these on thier windshields, I’m sure you could put them on your other windows, I dont think they would weather well tho.

You have a pm about the sunroof.

Ok, so somebody somewhere sent me a link to a post or redpepperracing, where the author did basically what im going to do, essentially, pop rivit a piece of lexan/polycarbonate to the roof to fill the hole from a previous sunroof. Now that im thinking about it, does anyone know if im going to have any issues with getting it to pass NYS inspection? im now wondering if theyll pull some shit and tell me that its not street legal to have it installed that way… anybody know the specifics about such…?

Hatch and 1/4 panel windows on my car are lexan. If this is a street car, forget it.

are you 100% sure about it? even for a sunroof?

Unless you like polishing out lexan to keep it clear (and even then it’s never REALLY clear) a car that sees daily use will fog/scratch etc in no time at all. A complete waste. You’ll spend more time maintaining it then fitting it on the car.

The biggest concern I have at this point is just filling the hole in my roof. Im not as concerned with whether i have a sunroof or not, just something that covers my head in the car, and doesnt leak. I cant do a complete roof swap, and would rather not try to fill the pannel in with metal or something. Its a decent size sunroof (bigger than the stock ones that came on certain versions). If someone has alternative ideas, by all means, let me know. im open to constructive suggestions.

What car is this?

Can you just reinstall a sunroof or are you determined to delete the glass/bracketry?

The material I used is VERY thin. Probably less than 5lbs for all the windows. It’s got scratches but consider the use. it’s gotten a lot of use and has held up just fine.

Thicker leaxan for a moonroof will work fine. You can even get colored material if you’re worried about yellowing.

Make the longest cuts with a carbide blade mounted backwards. That is to say mount it with the teeth rotating the other way(round blade here). If you’ve got access to a band saw for the corners, great If you’re careful and don’t get too agressive it won’t chip. A belt sander will round and smooth the edges for you.

Great Lakes has a scrap bin up front, see what they have there. If you want to pay, they’ll cut it for you.