Interview advice

Well I figure since a lot of you are in the tech field and have some good jobs so ill ask for some advice. Ive experienced a bunch of interviews and all that good stuff but never this big. Im a 3rd yera at RIT and looking for another paid internship, etc. I handed a resume into microsoft at a career fair not really thinking anything of it and some how made it to the first round of interviews. I had the interview thursday morning. thursday night, i get an email from my interviewer saying she wants me to fly out to seatle for another final interview with some head microsoft system engineers. This includes a free plane ticket, hotel, etc. Ive never experienced something this big and have no clue what to expect when i get there. has anyone here ever had a compnay do this? if so maybe you can give me some advice on what i can expect when i arive there. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

good luck bud! sounds like a good opportunity

damn mang, all I can say is GL :tup:

Hey man, good luck. Being that i am not really in the tech field, I may be off base,but i was the assistant director of research for HCB investments, and i can tell youthat our interviews were all day affairs. You would go in in the am and meet the interviewer, he/she would talk for like 45 min. with you, then it was the rest of the company and their brothers turn. Everyone that was someone got to talk with you, and they would all colaborate in the end. Interviews at this level are basicly sales cals. You have made it through the screening process, now it is time for you to go in and sell yourself as being better for them than the other candidates. This level of an interview is more like a getting to know you. Good luck with it, hopefully it goes well for you. I mean you are carrying the RIT name behind you so I am sure that wil help!

You must be doing something right for them to call you back same day for another round. Did you ask the recruiter what to expect, and did they send you an interview schedule?

I would assume they will have a taxi or driver there waiting for you and any other recruits. I would try to connect on a personal level with the interviewers. I had some common interests with a few of the interviewers and they pushed hard to get me the job.

go dump some $$$$$$ on a bling suit…

know all the questions before you go in. buy a book. be yourslef. they are looking for someone with personality

hwoever i hear microsoft will put you in a room and test the shit out of you…

good luck

lol thats the lsat thing i need. thanks for the support guys. I am very nervous about this haha.

Definitely get a suit, but don’t get all Armani on it. keep it simple.

here are some tips for 2nd interviews

They’ll quiz you to see if you really know your stuff. Here’s where staying awake during class will finally pay off.

You’re likely to be introduced to potential coworkers. Try to make a personal connection with each of them.

You may be fed. Be ready to display your beautiful table manners and breezy personality.

They’re looking for a reason not to like you. This is not the time to get cocky, because there are three other candidates in the wings.

At an interview that ends without an offer, try to close the sale by asking, "“What’s the next step in the process?” Follow up with, “What’s the time frame for that?”

Interviewers need to know you’re interested in their company. Always ask at least one related question: “When you financed that widget deal in Germany last year, how did you hedge your currency risk?”

ya know everything there is to know about current events and microsoft… and espically your department to be… ask questions and make comments when in your interview… dont slam microsofts decisions jsut make them aware that youi did research on there company before you walked in the door

Could you please ask them to make Chips Challenge standard on windows PC’s again?

Be confident. Show them that you are energetic and creative.
It may be hard but try to just relax and take it in stride.
Make sure you eat something and drink something before you get started. Food will help relax you. Dont drink too much so you dont have to piss every 15min.

I would suggest you take a aspirin or something MILD before the interview. It will help take the edge off and calm the nerves.

That is all you need to be.

Remember also, that you are not just selling what you know.

You are selling that you are a nice guy, who can meld with different people. Like different people at the workplace.

Bottom line, no one likes a prick at work, if you can gain the respect from your co-workers, people will like you better, and then they tend to work much better with you if they like you (or can just simpley stand you).

Oh, and a good hand shake is important. This lady…I think she is running for alderman…couldn’t handshake for the life of her. I didn’t pay attention to her after that…

Good luck with this opportunity man! Just make sure you know the history of Microsoft… maybe some key moments in their history. Enjoy the free plane and hotel. If it’s a good hotel they just may be serious about ya!

Best. Post.

hahahaha oh man that was classic

thanks for the help guys. im glad i ahve 2 weeks or so to get my shit straight. wheres a good place to buy a suit? Ive never looked for suits or had any need for one until this.

Microsoft and their entire philosophy does not strike me as the suit type

I wouldnt wear a suit,slacks and a really nice dress shirt with a tie sounds better.

But thats just me.