Introducing Voltron...

My car’s STi swap is complete and I’ve been breaking the engine in. It’s currently running on E85 with no intercooler. I’m on spring pressure until the engine is fully broken in and I do some more fuel system upgrades.

It moves well for now. I already blew an axle today just doing a pull getting on the highway, but hopefully that won’t be a regular occurence.

http://innovativetuningdl.com/images/Voltron/9.07/e85.jpg

I want to give a HUGE thanks to the Innovaitve Tuning crew for all their help on this project. There is no way I could have ever done it alone. We all have our specialties here and they come together nicely on these more involved builds.

Basically for those who haven’t been around to see the car it’s a 96 2 door Impreza base model which we pulled the driveline out of as well as the engine and ecu harnesses and replaced with an STi driveline and Autronic wire in standalone ECU. I’m running parts from several different Subarus, base impreza shell, Legacy Sport Sedan hubs and brakes, WRX fit DMS 50mm coilovers and WRX axles, STi rear swaybar, engine, tranny, driveshaft, you get the idea…hence the name Voltron.

Some of the goodies:
AIM Sports dash
http://aimsports.com/images/products/MXL-small.jpg

Autronic SM4 wire in standalone ECU
http://www.autronic.com/image_files/aut_main4.gif

The cage is partially done, but will be added onto shortly. We’ll be mounting my other Sparco on the passenger side when we have extra time.

We’re testing a prototype DCCD (Driver Controlled Center Differential) interface which allows standalone ECUs to control the DCCD. So far it’s working well. I have it set up to vary lockup based on throttle position and vehicle speed at the moment with an e-brake override to de-couple the diff when the e-brake is up. I’ll be looking into TPS vs. steering angle vs. lateral G sensor and other options in the future.

I’ll post progress as things go on.

-Mike

Wow, sounds like a cool project! :tup: Any power # estimates?

Why don’t you run an intercooler? The last car didn’t run one either right?

I want answers.

:word:

wow, sounds pretty bad ass.

:tup: as always Mike. I’m headed to Mid Ohio atleast twice more this year, if you can find a station I’ll get you E85 on the way back.

voltron it is for sure… i lost track of how many cars parts came off of for that thing :lol:

tee up

:tup:

Tis’ a sick car…

i got to hold a wrench…its what makes it sweet

Autronic…sexy.

got to see this in person @ swerve… this thing is a fcking monster

bitch, put some numbers on the car, and lets go racing…

wtf? :nono:
1- I walked around the shop with that heavy alternator
2- I noticed no washers on the mounts
3- i helped installing the manifold
4- i held a test LIGHT for Jay while he was working on the speed sensor
5- I helped MIke pump meth into a 2 gallon container.

so yeah, my point is…
I did help with this project. Youre welcome Mike. lol. jk

Siqqq car fo shO’. You guys did a great job.:tspry:

I don’t want to estimate numbers. I’d rather see what happens and then post. Too many people make that mistake. :wink:

Jojo you’re the man and one of the nicest guys I know. Thanks for all your help!

I’m not running an intercooler because I like testing things on my cars rather than customer cars. That’s also why I’m running E85. The no intercooler setup provides much better throttle response and transient boost response, plus you don’t have 40 pounds hanging off the front end of the car, so it does have it’s advantages. Of course I’d be making considerably more power with an intercooler so there’s big a tradeoff.

E85 also has it’s tradeoffs. It does burn a little cooler, not as much as I thought it would, only about 50 degrees drop in EGTs from what I’ve seen so far. E85 is also a huge bitch to get. I drive an hour and a half each way to get it at the moment. Now that I’m on my third tank and the old gas is just about gone I’m running 30% more fuel for the same amount of air which is standard for E85. I hadn’t planned on running E85 originally so I have to step up my fuel system.

We’re running a prototype chip from Autronic and were the first people to get it running on a US STi engine which ended up being an interesting process. Now that the US STi triggering is sorted out she runs well, but we still do not have control of the AVCS system yet (variable cam timing). Once that works or I get non AVCS cams the car will have a lot more low and mid range power.

Mike if you need another axle or any other parts give me a call. Glad to see it done!

2.5rs hood and TMIC? or is that hoodscoop faux on those cars

I’d never use a TMIC. The hoodscoop is blocked off on those but can easily be unblocked.

That’s awesome, Mike :tup:.

Were you moving already when it blew an axle?

mike u forgot to say what turbo :stuck_out_tongue: