issues with strut rub on your front tires GTOs?

UPDATE:

Well, first off, I’d suggest no one ever does any business with Culligan.

I took the car back on Friday and met with Tom, the service manager, and showed him the pictures of a new strut bushing, a colapsed stut bushing, and what the bushing looks like in my car. I got the blowoff of, “well, maybe it’s just the weight of the car”. So we fight for a bit, and he agrees to compare it to another GTO at the dealership, and if it looks bad he’ll replace it. If not, they’re going to do an alignment and charge me for it. I agree, and say I’ll bring the car back in Sunday night.

So while I was home I popped off the little plastic cover that hide the strut cap nut and put some latex house paint on the threads and nut, making sure to do both struts.

I dropped the car off Sunday night and made no mention of my paint job. I get a call at noon Monday saying the car is ready, that they checked the front suspension and everything was fine, and they just did an alignment. I ask about the alternator whine issue, they said they couldn’t reproduce it so it must not exist. I explain that it will happen within 10 minutes of driving the car if it’s raining out, and that since it’s supposed to rain Tuesday to just keep the car. It never rains today, and it’s not going to rain for at least a week, so I just go pick up the car.

The service department is already closed, so I pay for my alignment and get my keys. I immediately pop the hood, and pull off the plastic cover, and as I suspected the paint is still on the threads and the nut, not so much as a chip, so obviously they didn’t even look at it.

I call Brian Dougin (the GM customer service rep I’ve been working with) and explain how Tom has now flat out lied to my face. He’s not happy, but each dealer is an independant operation and he has no power over them. Advises I should just try another dealer. He’s sending me a couple free oil/lube/filter coupons to offset the alignment.

So yeah, a big FUCK YOU goes out to Culligan on Main in Williamsville.

can’t wait to sell my c5 this summer and get a 3g teg

yes, you read that right :tup:

ugh. sorry to hear, man :tdown:

Culligan does suck, had an issue with them when I bought a used car from them 4 years ago…effing stealerships.

sorry to hear that bro… sometimes, unfortunitly, the only way to get what you want is to do it yourself. This is honestly the LAST gm product I’ll ever own. I’ve had nothing but bullshit and problems with the only 3 I’ve owned. In a twist of irony, Ford has always treated me like a person instead of a source of income/an asshole. I suspect that I’ll be going back to the blue oval in the future

[quote=“Dr.Stevil,post:44,topic:26411"”]

sorry to hear that bro… sometimes, unfortunitly, the only way to get what you want is to do it yourself. This is honestly the LAST gm product I’ll ever own. I’ve had nothing but bullshit and problems with the only 3 I’ve owned. In a twist of irony, Ford has always treated me like a person instead of a source of income/an asshole. I suspect that I’ll be going back to the blue oval in the future

[/quote]

Wow - you just got the GTO, didn’t you? Got problems with it already?

well… as it turned out… when I got my tires replaced (excessive inside tire wear) over at swerve, I took a look at the inside of the struts and there was obvious contact with the strut housing. I got a picture of it and am filling out a complaint form now.

Good luck with that. I got no where. I’m keep a real close eye on my new tires now that they pushed my camber way out as far as possible while still keeping it in spec (which is GM’s official fix). Over the winter I’ll be putting some Pedders stuff in anyway.

[quote=“ly555is,post:42,topic:26411"”]

can’t wait to sell my c5 this summer and get a 3g teg

yes, you read that right :tup:

ugh. sorry to hear, man :tdown:

[/quote]

update: sold the vette this week, bought an '01 GSR, it’s the best car i have ever had. Never going to buy another american car again.

I had this issue on mine too. I Nagger rigged it with an alignment to positive camber as a band-aide. But the strut bushings are indeed colapsed and need to be replaced. As are the redius rod bushings. The front shimmies horribly under breaking. Should I even bother filing a complaint or am i wasting my time?

[quote=“JayS,post:47,topic:26411"”]

they pushed my camber way out as far as possible

[/quote]

Wow the car must handle like shit now…

[quote=“RobY,post:50,topic:26411"”]

Wow the car must handle like shit now…

[/quote]

Yeah, it definitely pushes more than before. To clarify though, the alignment is still within spec, it’s just at the far end of the spec.

[quote=“rj-92,post:49,topic:26411"”]

I had this issue on mine too. I Nagger rigged it with an alignment to positive camber as a band-aide. But the strut bushings are indeed colapsed and need to be replaced. As are the redius rod bushings. The front shimmies horribly under breaking. Should I even bother filing a complaint or am i wasting my time?

[/quote]

Well, I wouldn’t suggest going to Culligan for anything, ever. If my car died in front of Culligan I’d push it to another dealer before going back to them. Maybe try Don Davis, or Jim Ball.

i just found this picture…

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2201606340054308893vgNucA

I cant belive that GM would release this with so little clearance. Thats not even enough to account for differing manufacturing tolerances of tires or the normal flex of a tire during cornering, or any alignment parameter even slightly out of spec.

[quote=“RobY,post:52,topic:26411"”]

i just found this picture…

I cant belive that GM would release this with so little clearance. Thats not even enough to account for differing manufacturing tolerances of tires or the normal flex of a tire during cornering, or any alignment parameter even slightly out of spec.

[/quote]

yeah thats fuckign rediculous. somtetimes i think they release these cars just so they have to come back. A way for them to make money.

It made the news…

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/11003693/detail.html

old thread but both my front tires had the inside belt ripped off from this problem while driving, nearly killed me. Strangley I have not had any problems with my 245/40/18’s that I switched to