JDM insurance

Hey everybody, currently Mitch is helping me import a JDM silvia. I was just curious as to others experiance insuring their JDM vehicles. I was wondering, has anybodies insurance company turned them down due to the fact the car is JDM? I’m with Lombard Insurance and don’t want to get a nasty suprise once the car is landed. I have called my broker and left him a message. Hopefully he can get back to me soon. Also has anybody found that insuring their RHD is rediculously high or cheap? For the people who have insured their JDM vehicles, what kind of car do u own and wat were you quoted? If anybody has had any experiance insuring a JDM vehicle with Lombard Insurance, i would like to hear your story. Im going to be 21 in a few months, and i have been driving since 16 with no tickets or accidents. Im hoping the insurance is reasonable. I dont mind paying a bit more for a sporty car or RHD, i just dont want to pay more on insurance then i did the actual car. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Here’s the thread from GTRC… If the insurance company doesn’t know what JDM means; then you’re going to have to explain things to them… You’ll need a 19a insurance policy based on appraisal value; insurance approved appraisals can be done by Malcolm at www.autoappraiser.ca

RBC Insurance

Certas Direct Insurance Company
Telephone : 1-888-298-0692

Allstate - depends on the broker

First Service Brokers ( 905-731-5177)
ask for Calvin

Program Insurance Brokers very helpful , no appraisal , and no long waiting time , Ask for Luke , 519-669-1631

Waddell Insurance from Brampton (Kennedy/Sandelwood)

Guardsmen Insurance, a subsiduary of Waterloo Insurance, in Kingston

Malcolm from autoappraiser can provide me with the 19A policy correct?

Is there anyway to get an insurance quote without a VIN #?

Malcolm will get you the appraisal; the insurance companies use it to give you a 19a insurance policy…

JDM Vin’s are useless for insurance quotes because they are not 17 digits; so they don’t show up on the computers…

ahhh!! thats why my insurance guy was like wtf!! hahaha cant beat 79 dls tho woo

Hey Zep, are you the one that built the takeit2thetrack.ca website for mikey and tim?

BTW, nice skyline, i saw it at the last cscs event at cayuga

Certa’s direct will do it but the wait will be rediculous. Im currently insuraning my skyline. I go for my G on wednesday and Im going to insure it as soon as I pass my G. Mine is wawanesa they have been ok but are being real sticklers when it comes to it though. Like they wanted a hard copy of the appraisal to send to underwriters in winnipeg. IF you are currently with a broker they cant turn you down. I dont know if its a law but i cant garuntee it. If you have been driving for a while with no record just ask them to call the underwriter. I am going to be paying 377.00 a month. And Im 17 with a G so that in itself for a legitimate insurance policy is really good.

Hi,

When I talked to my insurance broker about a Fairlady, he said my insurer (Dominion of Canada) would just insure it as if it was a LHD 300zx. So hopefully, your insurance company could treat your car like it’s a 240sx. Try that angle with your insurance company.

All the best,
Stan

here is the number for my broker, he really hooked it up and i got an AWESOME deal on my insurance, less than half than the previous one i had

Prince - 416 860 5254

he know’s whats up with RHD cars and you just need to send him a copy of the appraisal and hopefully he can set you up through ING

G.T.S-T- you said you were quoted $377/month on your skyline. Was that full coverage?

Thanks Stan for the info. Hopefully my insurance company will do the same. I was actually considering importing a fairlady Z too but i decided to go with the silvia. From what i hear Fairlady’s are more expensive to maintain?

Thanks also to Maxgohan for the referal. Im hoping that the insurance company im with now can insure the car, if not il start calling the references you guys are supplying. Thanks for the help people, cant wait to finally get my jdm car. Ive been saving for about 11 months ever since my camaro got written off. So hopefully i can get my car over the winter and have it ready to take to meets and track events in the spring!