JDM VIN question

my 180sx will be here on the weekend, and i still owe a small amount on the car, so i was approved for a loan today and i was told that i needed the VIN before i could get the money. allen sent the number to me later tonight. the only problem is that it is not a usual VIN. it is shorter and alot different. so im wondering if this is the number i will be using, or will they issue me a new number when the car is insured? not sure how it works…

thats the number you will be using.

yup you’ll be using that… the registry gave me shit for it though haha there was a big of complications

I just got a letter from my insurance saying that my vin didnt exist so i sent them a pic of it and a letter explaining the car was imported, hope that all works out for me.

thats the number you will be using and i had no problems registering/insuring my car!

I had to fight with registries about my VIN. I gave it to them and they said its impossible for it to be 11 digits. I took them out to the car, popped the hood showed them, showed them my import papers with the VIN on it. All they have to do is build it into the Data Base. As for insurance the company just has to build it in as well. It really isn’t a problem just sometimes people like to argue.

Pretty sure B.C. is the only province that reissues a VIN. If you are having problems with insurance or registration, just go somewhere else and don’t put up with that bullshit. My insurance brokerage is Roberts-McClure (my family owns it, get all your buddies to go there :smiley: ) and I used the registries in Ermineskin.

Its a SERIAL number not a VIN.

How so? I just looked at my brothers registration. Under Vehicle Identification Number it says HCR32… so where on you registration does it say Serial Number?

They don’t make registration forms that say “serial number.” But its not a VIN, which has a certain formula, and the Japanese serial numbers clearly dont follow that formula.

I see what you’re saying, but for TravyPoo’s sake, when he registers the car that will be his “VIN.”