Joined a gym...need some help

So, I finally joined a gym. Trying to just get better all around health but I need some help designing a workout, and just figuring out what exercises I should be doing.

The things I want to focus on is losing fat, and increasing my muscle control. I don’t feel that I really need to lose much weight, but I would like to see the weight that I have, be swapped out for some muscle.

Talk to me and point me in a good direction, I’m clueless.

I used to train for football in wrestling in high school but stopped when I went to school. I got back into the gym this year and have been doing a simple workout that has actually been pretty well. I am not a big gym person so I go, do what I need to and leave. I was 30% body fat and now down to 23% this year alone just going 3 times a week and not really changing much else.

When I go with my friend we do this and it only takes an hour. If its busy, you can use a machine or free weight.

Chest: Bench, free weights, machine
Back: Pull downs, pull ups
Shoulders: shoulder press with weights or bar
Lower back: Row or flys
Biceps: dumbbells, dips, machine
Triceps: dumbells, machine

If I go with my friend, we do the exercise and move on the the next one so its pretty much a super set. If you are motivated, we do either a bike or elliptical for 20-30 min after.

No leg workouts? I’d like to start working out but I know nothing about what workouts to do, how to split them up, etc.

do some reading, that site is great.

Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. you want to lose weight, adjust your diet. Keto blows but you will drop fat quick. Following a low glycemic index diet is much easier to follow and not as hard on your body VS keto.

For a beginner I’d recommend stretching first and a lot. You’ve got to get those muscles and tendons used to it so take it easy at first on everything. Then, start off with light cardio to start your heart going and do 30 minutes of increased (not overloaded) cardio at a decent heartrate. This could mean walking fast if you’re just starting out, but gradually you’ll be able to get to jogging/running. I hate watching the overweight guys get on the treadmill and run until they start to sweat and quit because they feel awkward for not being “awesome.” Remember, this is for YOU and nobody at the gym is going to think badly of you for working at the correct pace.

After cardio, stretch the legs again at first for a couple of minutes, followed by one of either Legs & Shoulders / Back & Biceps / Chest & Triceps. Ask the local gym trainers for a simple routine of each muscle group.

Finish off with doing an ab workout. You can do this every day. On your Back & Bicep day, be careful as a beginner to use your abs and not your back. Take it easy.

After that, stretch again. (remember, your body isn’t used to all of this… ) Go home, repeat, be patient and enjoy the pain. You WILL hurt… but it’s normal :tup:

A warm up is fine, but cardio before lifting is typically counter productive.

you want to expend that energy lifting, not doing cardio. Cardio after lifting is better IMO.

Just do spinning classes or on a bike. Bad knees so cant squat.

Stretching before, after, and before bed is KEY

I do a warmup jog, then start with either bench, squat, or deadlifts. From there I move on to “smaller” exercises. Pullups, dumbell flys, dips, lat pulldowns, inverted row, curls, military press, incline bench, seated row, etc. Then finish it off with 4 minutes of HIIT on a bike peddling as hard as I can for 20 seconds then coast for 10 seconds, repeat. Then slowly churn away on an elliptical until I stop feeling like I’m going to die from the HIIT.

I usually take about an hour, but there’s no reason why you can’t get a full workout in an intense 20 minutes. Just superset your exercises, meaning do two things at once going back and forth between each set without resting.

To start with, just make sure you get your ass in there a couple of times a week. Getting into the routine is the hardest part. Don’t let worrying about doing the right stuff keep you from going. Once you’re going regularly start refining.

lol, i dont do legs myself but i will be the first to say they are super important. thats the largest muscle group in your body!

You want to make muscles that help lose weight?

Work your legs out, and your ass. You ever wonder why people puke after doing leg workouts and not benching…?

I started doing this :tup: , i used to do like 3min of joggin which isn’t much but it kinda is a waste of time because you should do warm up sets of the exercise either way.

FTW…my trainer sais that you will burn more in your mid-section the more you work your legs…and actually the stair climer machines at various intervals for like 10 min is way better than 20-25 on other cardio machines

Don’t count them out. I had hunks of cartilege pulled out of my right knee 3 times in high school. I couldn’t squat more than 85 pounds without my knee screaming at me. About 6 months ago I discovered proper form and now I’m squatting 225 and none of my pants fit because my quads got big. :scott:

Granted my knee problem is unique and maybe yours really will keep you from doing leg exercises, but it’s worth playing around with form to see if you can find a way.

EDIT: Where did the :scott: smiley go? The flexing muscle smiley? I added that when scott was on an arm wrestling rampage.

Geehee, I have been dieting…Mostly low-carb (keto) diet, but I would really like to wean off that, and onto a diet that consists of eating some high-fiber stuff like whole wheat bread and pasta.

As far as exercise goes, I am not completely useless. I am moderately active. I go mountain biking a bit, play golf, go on hikes, wakeboard. So, I can handle cardio and an elevated heart rate just fine.

What I am really worried about is that if I go the the gym, and lift too hard, that I will end up gaining muscle and not dropping any fat. So should I do light weight lifting for 30 mins then cardio for 30 mins? I really like to swim? Should I mix the weight lifting with the pool (lift then swim)?

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

I have a bad left knee and climbing stairs is just about the worst thing I can do.

The elliptical trainer is easy on the knee so I will probably stick to that

Interesting… I may need to start working with a trainer again. I haven’t had surgery so maybe I could start to build it up again once I get back into a proper routine. May start working in some leg lifts and other machine based leg workouts until I get back into the swing of things.

muscle burns more cals than fat. dont be afraid of gaining muscle, just monitor your diet, increase your protein intake and do various cardio after lifting to continue to burn cals.

i am still recovering from a torn MCl in my left knee…it actually feels better when i work out

Nope. More muscle = less fat. If you just do lots of light cardio you’ll just burn off the muscle you make. If you want to strip fat eat well, lift hard, and do high intensity cardio.

spot on

When I was young I put a slight fracture in my knee cap on the corner. I opted not to get surgery on it cause it would be a long recovery, and the doctor expected it to heal over time. It has gotten better, but I don’t know that it’s ever fully healed. I’ve been dealing with it for years, I know what my limit is on it.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

thanks fellas