Jury Duty....

Got a jury duty summons today in the mail any idea of how to get out of it ??? I have 0 interest in going and I know they arent going to compentsate me for a day of constrution wages

You can say you know one of the defendants, or you have an objection about the case they’re debating, or you have had a bad experience, soemthign to show you’d have a biased opinion.

Or somehow show that you’re a rational thinker. The defense doesn’t seem to like people like that. :slight_smile:

I got one in February and just sent an email to the email address on the jury duty summons and told them that it was a busy time of year at work and that I could not take a day off so they postponed it until last week. I went in on Tuesday and when they asked people if they had any severe conflicts I said that I would not be available on Thursday for any cases because I had a CPA exam and they just said fine and didn’t put me on any jurys.

I personally wouldn’t mind being on a jury since I think it would be interesting, but I highly doubt that they are going to question you as to why you will not be available. No matter what you are probably going to lose one day sitting in the court house because I don’t know of a way of getting out of the summons completely, but if you do show up for your date, it is pretty easy to get out of being on a jury if you really want to.

Yeah, they make you fill out a survey before the defense attorney interviews you and I always say that I would be more likely to trust a policeman’s word over the defendant’s word and they never like that so they probably won’t pick you.

I got 4 days for jury duty. Luckily work paid me 100% or else I’d a really been jacked off.

i just got 7 days of jury duty…kill me

i just had it about a month ago
sucked

I got one last year. My work game a a paid day off. I ended up not getting called in…just sat in a room until 3:00 and got Paid…like $11.50. cashed my check and went home. It was very boring…I brought a laptop which helped a lot. They give you coupons for discounts to eat and a $5 off parking…so overall if you get called it isn’t too bad…just get a little bored.

no shit, tuesday the 20th??

i went on may 20th. it seems like you sit on your ass all day and do pretty much nothing. i got there at 8am and did absolutely nothing until about 2:30pm. they narrowed the selection down to 20, including myself. they picked 14 (12 jurors & 2 alternates) out of the 20 and i wasnt one of them. thank God, it was scheduled as a 14 day trial. i made $13.18 for the one day but I donated it to childrens hospital. my only tactic to avoid being selected was just acting like i knew nothing about what the case concerned(something about asbestos & mesathelioma). i guess it worked. they told me for every day you’re down there equals a year of which you won’t have to serve. pretty much everything else people said in this thread is correct… boring as fuck.

I had to serve back in march. It sucked and was soooooooooo boring!!! At least I got it over with.

Ya a few people told me when u get i guess “interviewed” make sure u answer all the questions very bias. Like if they say if a police officer is on the stand do u believe everything he or she says. Just answer yes. They will never pick u if u have a bias opinion.

I had it a couple of months ago. I went in and just told the truth, figured it would get me out of there. First case was a drug case. Told them that I’m very against drugs (I am), and that I’m very good friends with a number of city police officers, and they asked if I had any racial tensions in my family (I did, an uncle, long story) since the defendant was black.

I figured there was no way I’d get picked. I ended up being the first chosen.

Sometimes the defense attorney is just an idiot and you’ll get picked one way or the other.

tell the court you know Jason Rubin.

Hell everytime I get one of these it goes into the garbage. Never went one time in 20 years of voting. Never got into any trouble for it either. They never sent them certified mail or anything, so I just tossed them. Let them try to prove I got it.

yea thats how i answered and got picked…been stuck there for one week now

i go tomorrow, what i get in a day there wont even cover an hours of work for me…

w00t, just checked to see if i need to report tomorrow, and i do not have to!!! friggin sweet man!

lucky