Just how reliable are sr20det motors?

^^^^ Says it all, im just really curious, i mean u dont see too many sr’s at 130,000km + or anything like that.

Sr’s are reliable like any other Nissan engine. They are well built.

What do you mean you haven’t seen one at 130,000km? I’ve seen one with 180k before.

Only problems I’ve ever seen is turbos going.

what you mean “going” like working or stopping? :roll:

what you mean “going” like working or stopping? :roll:[/quote]
My appologies,

I ment that sometimes the stock turbo’s blow.

yea, well thats an inevitability, turbos wear out. Normal stuff, Sr’s are extremely reliable for a forced induction engine, which u will find in general are usualyl lacking when it comes to reliability. But again, like any engine, especially being forced induction, u beat on it to hard youll kill it :wink: .

Think logically guys; if the engine was garbage, why would Nissan decide to make it for 17+ consecutive years? What do you think the Infinity G20 and the 200SX SE-R has under that little hood of his? SR20(non turbo). Turbos can blow on any car; they are a spinning blade covered in a ceramic shell which reaches exaust temperatures. It also compresses air at 14 pound per square inch. When your driving the $Hit outta your car, no wonder its gonna blow. SR20DET’s are beutiful engines. They are the heavy hitters(meant to last, built tough)) along with Mitsubishi’s 4G63 and Honda’s B18. Just make sure you have sufficient cooling.

the problem as i see it is not the reliability of the sr, it’s the fact that when certain parts do go ( as they are bound to with an engine that is +/- 10 years old) you may have to go overseas to get them

of course there are some parts that do crossover from the sr20de which is found in a few cars, g20, 200sx-ser, nx 2000

the good thing is that as the engine becomes more popular there will be more parts readily available so you may not have to pay as much for certain parts

Good point! Another example of a motor that has been kept around for a long time is the 4.0 litre jeep motor. My dad has a grand cherokee limited with the 4.0 litre motor and this thing is excellent. Starts perfect everytime and hasnt changed since we bought the car. Beautiful motor, no wonder its been around for 20 someodd years (i think)…

Dude you can never run too much boost :smiley:

Dude you can never run too much boost :D[/quote]

That is, unless your running boost with air thats not that dense
(intercoolers - the bigger the better)

Dude you can never run too much boost :D[/quote]

up to the point where your intercooler cant keep up thats true, but even so, its harder on the motor, and if u got some crap engine then its gonna pop

do you know how much MAX boost the sr20 can handle? and at how much rpm would it kick in?

Stock with FMIC, 14 psi.
I believe thats what Andrew told me, he could run 14 safely with the FMIC.

^thats with the stock turbo, ive heard people runnign higher fine on dif turbos

That’s a very broad question. Do you mean what the stock setup can handle? There have been SR’s posted running 20+ psi with stock internals, but not entirely stock setup. You have to take in account that there’s a few safeguards you must do before considering running over 13-14psi (all that 370cc injectors will support). Injectors, upgraded IC, metal headgasket, MAF are just some of the most basic requirements. I’m sure there’s a few more.

Like Black240Matt said, 20psi coming from a little stock T25 will probably kill the motor and turbo. The thing is way out of efficiency range and will generate more heat than anything else, full of hot air. No pun intended!
However, 20 psi from a GT25R or T3/T4 hybrid is a breeze. And depending on what type of trim your running, that will determine when max boost is acheived.

Odd that this thread is about turbos, and Adam is not posting? Since he probably has the most experience on force induction.
Oh, maybe because it’s about SR turbos. :lol:

no i mean stock turbo, i know they can run really high with the T3/4’s and Gt25’s can run really high. I mean stock internals and stock turbo, anything else modded.