KA-T..?

Ok, i’m entertaining myself with the thought of going turbo KA. Mind you, this is in my 93 hatch(140kms). I guess this question is to the KA-T 240’s. I’d just like to know the overall thoughts on the turbo’ing of the KA. Pro’s, con’s, upkeep, reliability? Here’s a question for all the other engine swappers. Why not KA-T? Why did you swap or turbo? Any and all opinions and replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ka-t’s have the ability to put out very large horsepower numbers, the biggest issue seems to be getting a fuel management system properly

with a ka-t you probably won’t be able to run very high psi, that is unless you start to work on internals i.e. low compression pistons

there is nothing wrong wit going ka-t

but when the option of a factory turbo is available, people seem to go with that choice

if i had to choose between engineers at nissan building an engine that was meant to be turboed, and building a turbo system myself, on an engine that was never meatn to be turbo’ed, i know what i would go with

not to discourage you from going ka-t, as i said before, if this system is set up properly, it can be very powerful

I don’t really know much, but someone on the NEO boards maybe able to help, i think his real name is Phil, but he has a KA-T, runs nice, he has 180sx tail lights.

Sorry that I’m not able to help you myself!

try this one www.turbo240sx.ca everything you ever wanted to know.
Also if you’re serious, get in touch with Adam, he will be able to show you the way .

Based on my research the biggest problem is keeping things cool, KAT seems to be running super hot.

DRE

http://members.rogers.com/jjm-imports/turbopage.htm
here is a page of some of my stuff. some things have changed like the fuel managment system. you have the same car as me with about the same km;s. it should be good for kat. if you want any more info i can kinda help you out. I have done atone! of reseach on it.

Im considering the KA-T as well. Im thinking of getting a Tom Rice manifold, if i can find one. Using 370cc injectors, walbro fuel pump, Griffin IC with custom endtanks and piping, JWT retuned ECU. And finally a T3 snail with xtrim. Not sure yet. Im still piecing my plan together and doing some research.
300whp is attainable and near the same in torque with the psi at 11-15 i think. Correct me if im wrong.

u can get 11-15 psi on stock internals as a daily driven car? or are u talkin internals?
just wondering

Mach1 Phil’s KA-T is boosting at 11 psi now, i dont think he touched the internals.

The 370 are not enough they are good for 250rwhp tops. Talon has stock 450 and they are not enough past 320bhp.

When tuned properly they can be reliable. All turbo cars run very hot. The talon ran soo hot in the engine bay in the summer that you could not touch antything metal no matter where it was. Just take off the shround underneath the car.

~Here is a graet setup for a not too expensive setup~

dsm 1g bov
1g dsm sidemount ic
sr 370 injectors
walboro 255hp fule pump
jgstool.com stage 1 log manifold with mitsu flange
mitsu 16g (Will produce super fast spool up like 3000rpm, fat power band and has enough top end for 350hp)
radim(metalex) downpipe
home depot ic piping
300zx fuel filter
turbo oil lines

Tunning by Paul
7-9psi setup

For a low psi setup dont get a big IC if you dont have the money, the pressure drop(creates sloppy throtle response more turbo lag) on them is a lot for a low boost.

jjm that ic is not good at all and the 2g dsm bov leaks all the time even at idle (plastic). Metalex would have sold you that hose much cheaper and radim would have made you a much better tubular manifold for less. Also your turbo cost you way too much. Could have saved a lot of money there.

Wojtek

Wojtek

Very much so…
I was looking at getting Hotshot headers for my altima… a company in the states was willing to ship them and do all the import shit for only $650 USD… JRP wanted $1370 canadian for me to walk in the door and get them!
I had no idea the Canadian dollar had devalued so much :roll:

the canadian dollar is trading at over 75 cents US… it’s highest level in years! undervalued, you think? maybe, but not nearly as bad as it was.

IMO, considering the state of the economy in the US, i’d say we’re holding up pretty well… i’d even go as far as to say that it’s only a matter of time before our loonie and the ‘greenback’ are at par again!

let the crossborder shopping begin again! :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know if it will ever become $1 - $1 again, but with the way that Canadian Companies RAPE you on the price of performance parts you’re definately MUCH better off buying from the US.

The $650 USD (with shipping in) is only like $870 Canuck… so JRP want’s a $500 mark up?.. grrr :evil:

yea im going tonight to buy an ACT street clutch kit and it can be had for $370US or $500CDN. mach 1 wants $720CDN for it. what the hell is this crap. luckily i found a place near me called max motorsports who has it for $580.

i didnt go to JRP for anything. i went to j&r turbo’s, and there really good people.
as for the turbo its 90%new and i payed 900for it. if i got it 100%new it would of been 1100 + tax.
and the g16 is smaller then my turbo as this was disscused awile back.
and the dsm2 bov is there right now untill i can aford a better one.

befor i get my car tuned i still have to get a new bov, injectors, move arond the powersteering(pushing on ic pipe)

as for the hose what one are you talking about? the oil line? ya i konw i got ripped off big time there. and also a few other places.

if ur not good at doing stuff yourself, just get radim to build the full system, even exhaust. Just tell him the boost press you want and im sure he’ll rig up everything else himself

Just one great downfall in this whole plan lies with our economy which is very wrapped up with the US dollar. When you look at our automotive industry for example, our sales are primarily made to the states. More often than not Canadian automotive industries deal in US dollars which are then converted to Canadian dollars down the road. This will now eat up a great deal of their profits! And for smaller suppliers, may be detrimental!

[quote=“jjm_240sx”]

i didnt go to JRP for anything. i went to j&r turbo’s, and there really good people.
as for the turbo its 90%new and i payed 900for it. if i got it 100%new it would of been 1100 + tax.
and the g16 is smaller then my turbo as this was disscused awile back.
and the dsm2 bov is there right now untill i can aford a better one.

befor i get my car tuned i still have to get a new bov, injectors, move arond the powersteering(pushing on ic pipe)

as for the hose what one are you talking about? the oil line? ya i konw i got ripped off big time there. and also a few other places.[/quote]

I know you didn’t, that was just a general warning for ppl. The 1g dsm bov is just as cheap yet many times better. Mach 1 Phil is still using it iirc.

I was talking about the silicone hose.

As far as the turbo I realize how new it is but it does NOT spool as fast and you will never run it at high enough boost to realize any of its advantages over the 16g. Therefore your true powrband due to boost is smaller.

Wojtek

As for my IC it was cheap. i am looking to upgrade later but this one does work and I am not the only one that uses it:

http://www.unstable-hybrids.com/Projects.htm (5 cars down)

http://www.geocities.com/wssnider/turbo.html

hum ya the silicone hose, i didnt konw were to get it but i still need more so i will get it there thanks.

Here is some pics of my set up. dont worry how the BOV is right now. and i still need to to some changes to some otherthings as well.
http://members.rogers.com/jjm-imports/pictures/turboengin1.JPG
http://members.rogers.com/jjm-imports/pictures/turboening2.JPG

jjm before you go to tunning make sure you change that bov, they leak a lot even at idle. The readouts that paul will get wont be as accurate and it wont be tunned as well. Yeah a lot of ppl use them but you loose a lot of throttle response with them but they work well. If you need any other info just ask.

The reason I’m not a big fan of that ic is that it blooks the whole rad and everyone knows how hot the cats run, in the summer you might have problems.

Your setup looks really good, good job.
Wojtek