KA24DE Fuel consumption?

Hey guys, i’m looking for a everyday car that i can drive and i’ve always been a fan of S13’s. Anyways, i travel around 500-700km’s a WEEK, so i need a car thats good on gas.

I drive a 325i and for those that don’t know its a 2.5L I6, and i get about 500-600km’s on a full tank which costs me $40-50 on 89 octane for a 60L tank. I worked it out to about 10-12L/100km’s city-hwy.

So i was just wondering before considering buying a S13, how are the stofck KA24DE’s on fuel consumption, have any of you guys done the calculations?

Also, on a side note, what about the SR20DET’s, if i were to grab a S13 i would love to drop a SR20 in it, but again, i’d love to know the fuel consumtion.

Thanks in advance guys

I have an S13 and it has 209k on it and i get about 350km to the tank(city driving). It costs me $40-$45 to fill up, i think it takes around 50L.

240s arent cars that are economoical on gas. go buy an echo u can get like 600km to the tank… right now i barely break 400km on a full tank in my s14. costs me about 35 bucks to fill up usin the cheap stuff

wehn i was constantly up to muskoka and back, i could make it there and back on 1 tank form kitchener, or back with a few hundered km left over.

i was consistantly getting 550+ per tank. But then again the car is lowered, and i find i get better milage at 150+ so i dunno.

Stop and go city traffic will yield lower results than a highway trip.

I drive in the city and that’s all I do. I track this gasmileage stuff too… :smiley: Here’re my numbers for the past 14 months (ever since I’ve owned my S14):
Average Daily Driven: 44.2 KM
Average Monthly Driven: 1370KM
Fill-up every 9 days
Avg cost/ltr: $0.830 (I use 91 oct from sunoco only)
Average KM I get with a full tank of gas: 523
Average gas mileage: 21.59 MPG / 9.18 KM/L (I don’t know how to calculate that 100KM/L stuff, confuses the hell outta me)

My car has 204744 KM on it. Based on these numbers, my car’s still running like it came from the factory. A brand new S14 fuel economy from the factory was 21MPG city and 27 MPG hwy (correct me if i’m wrong :)).

Are you kidding me? 523km per tank… :shock:

Normal for me in my s14 would be between 400 - 450km

Your driving habits affect it to ya know. Unless, Phil, you’re talkin 400-450km tanks driving like a granny.

I know Prince, and from what he’s done to his car, I think me and him would have similar driving habits, typically it’s rush hour traffic that kills my gas. In traffic I drive slow…

What is your mileage like Mike?

I haven’t filled up a full tank since my analog cluster went in (before with the digi unit my odo started getting intermittent), so I can’t say yet. Ive been filling up like $15-20 at a time cuz of the unstable gas prices lately. I saw one station that was 78.5 and right down the road another was 72.2. Why didn’t I fill up a full tank at 72.2, you ask? I … dont know.

I get 550km on average per tank in my S13 coupe. S13’s have a 55L tank and I usually put 52-53L in @ each fill. So approx 10.5Km/L.

And I don’t granny drive. I drive from 700-900 KM per week.

Thanks for all the help guys, i really appreciate it. It seems thers a pretty big range with fuel consumption, but i think i get it.

Now does anyone follow their fuel consumption on their SR20DET???

I’d be curious to know if those run better since the smaller displacement, or if they’re worse because of the turbo and/or higher power!

That would depend a lot on driving and where your usual shift point is, if you stay out of boost I would imagine that it should have decent gas mileage.

I gotten as good as 525-550 km per tank but I average more like 450-500.

The best I’ve gotten is 649 and that’s when I was drivin like a granny. The worst I’ve gotten is 480 and this is when I went to C7 event and I was shifting at 5500RPM. I usually shift at 4000-4500RPM.

Rush hour traffic is a the biggest enemy of gasoline! :evil:

If you are looking for a car that’s good on fuel unfortunately a 240sx is not the car for you. A KA24E is a pig on gas a KA24DE is still a pig on gas but apparently it’s slightly better then the KA24E. I fill up on premium it’s usualy between $40-$45 and I can never get any more then 350 to 360 kilometers to the tank. My winter car has a 3.8 V6 in it and it get’s better fuel mileage then my 240sx :lol: it’s crazy. Mind you I have modified my 240sx so unfortunately the more you mod the more fuel you burn too…Buttom line is 240sx’s get really crappy fuel mileage not what you would expect from a Jap car but the real buttom line is: IT’S ALL WORTH IT! :smiley:

When I was auto I would get about 500KM to a tank using 89 octane which would cost about 40 to fill up. If I did just highway driving I would almost break 600KM. I am still waiting to see how my fule milage is now that I have a 97 KA24DE with a 5spd in my car.

You can expect a significant decrease in gas mileage.

decrease in mileage? 5spd is supposed to give better mileage than auto if driven like a sane person. plus, the 97 motor has a better gas mileage rating than the 95-96 motor… no?

The 97/98 cars should have the exact same gas mileage as the 95/96 ones.

The difference will be in his shifting point. Look at all the people who posted that drive standard, almost none get good gas mileage.