Ka24de Turbocharging question

My younger brother is getting into the whole 240 scene. he bought himself a 92 s13 with 194000 km on it, stock ka24de engine. hes bound and determined to turbo it. i own a 95 s 14 with and sr20 det redtop, with a stock t 25 turbo. i have plans of a bigger turbo … so id just give him my t25, if it will make enough boost for the extra displacment , and any noticable usable power or is the turbo to small? and is it even worth it with the amount of milage on the engine? if anyone could give me an answer that would be great… also what other parts would be needed and where could they be found. thanks guys

good turbo to start off with. unless if he plans on putting out huge numbers.

at 194,000 the engine would start to see the suaul wear and tear. rebuild might be a good idea.

theres a tonne of guys on here tho who know a tonne about these kinds of things, im sure you have a few messages by tommarow.

check the compression on all the cylinders. 194000 km’s is nothing compared to some of the milage the ka-t guys have. it all depends on how the car was driven and how the motor was maintained. if your compression looks good, go for it, if not then theres a lot of ppl selling decent used motors on this board.

This turbo will spool up quite a bit faster becsaue of the extra displacement and also start to look efficenty at a lower rpm, but if he just wants tom do it then it should be fine.
Just make sure he is not trying to Rev to 8000RPM all day long.

I don’t know you or your brother, but I wouldn’t personally encourage a turbo 240sx right away. These cars have unique handling characteristics, and some N/A seat time may be good for him…

But otherwise, that T25 should be enough to have fun with, but not too much so as to wrap the car around a pole.

SIDENOTE: I’ve gotten my sister a 240sx, and well after driving lessons in the blitz SR20, she’ll stay N/A for a while, so I don’t have to fix shit she breaks

T25 is too small, not for any power reason just that the extra volume will push that turbo past the surge limit very quickly, he’ll end up with cavitation and poor response with no top end to speak of. A simple T03b would be the better chioce. using a To3b the first time around means you only need to do a header once and the foot print is the same unless if he upgrades, unless he goes with some oversized T60 hybird down the road. Use the WG to limit the boost to start with then move into a boost controller. With a T03b super 60 he’ll have a more even and more predictable boost response over the whole power band.

i am putting a t25 turbo off a sr, and i will make about 60 more hp at the wheels, with a fmic, bigger injectors, and a new 255lb fuel pump, It’s a good turbo, if you leave your motor stock, and i only have the sohc motor.

I agree that getting some NA seat time makes sense. Have him do some basic upgrades first (intake, exhaust, pulleys, clutch/flywheel) most of those upgrades can be retained with the exception of the intake.

Going KA-T is a great idea and not enough people realize that the engine under their hood is despite what Super Street says about how wonderful the SR20 is and how uncool the KA24DE is. I’m not knocking the SR it’s a great engine. BUT…

I can’t wait till it’s installed this weekend.[/img]

i kNOW THIS THREAD IS ANCIENT BUT THATS ACTUALLY THE REASON FOR POSTING… I HAVE JUST RECENTLY PURCHASED MY OWN KA24DE FROM CHRIS AT J.A AUTO (GREAT GUY BY THE WAY, SALE WENT VERY SMOOTHLY)
ANYWAYS…
SOME OF YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN TURBO KA-T FOR A WHILE AND I JUST WANTED TO KNOW, HOW IS THE ENGINE BEEN?
HAVE YOU GUYS HAD MANY PROBLEMS I SHOULD KNOW OF?
ANYTHING I PROBABLY WOULDN’T THINK OF THAT I SHOULD KNOW?

i`m going ka-t soon also i would highly recommend a head gasket at the least as a 200,000km motor will blow out with the higher comp

It’s all in the tune man, make sure you have good parts turbo-wise and you know what your doing, research and learn, in the end knowledge is power & reliability!! :wink:

I’m almost done completing my KA-T setup, sometime in late April - Early May, it should be turbo’d and ripping. Doesn’t really matter how much mileage it is, as long as it’s been treated well and the motor is running strong, a lot of KA-T setups have been running on high boost, big turbos, but great tunes to back them up with no problems.

KA-T.org is your best bet, and google…you’ll find huge archives and articles many people like yourself have been wondering and asking to make a good, strong and reliable setup. Patience is key, don’t up the boost or start ripping without getting a good tune, or else you’ll end up like many other KA-T failures and future bashers lol.

i’ll be going ka-t as well, i was thinking of running a holset instead of a T25

tuning god!!! is required.

^ not really, just a wideband, necessary tools, and for kicks…a dyno :wink:

Turbos suck.

On the real though, make sure your compression is in check. Fix any leaks/sensors/seals/codes that your car is having. Then check your compression again. You want to be above 145psi and all cylinders should be 5-8psi of each other.

Save up more than you think you’ll need, because you’ll need even more than that. lol