Kitchen cabinets?

Just a tip about renting Uhaul trailers. They don’t have a way to check mileage. I’ve done several “in town” rentals for $20-30/day and took the trailer on 600+ mile trips. If you rent it one way for 300 miles it will be way more expensive. The only question is how much towing the empty trailer with you will cost in gas.

One way from Cleveland to 14221 is $153 for 2 days for the 6x12 (they force you to take 2 days).
“In town” is 29.95 for the same trailer.

$123 buys a lot of gas, even at these prices.

wow…makes me wanna redo mine.

Jagermeister… absolutely stunning job…

What wood type/finish are those cabinets?

Also where those replacement windows (or full new windows) and what brand are they and where did you get them from.

Interesting I will keep that in mind when the time comes for my trip to Kraftmaid outlet.

The cabinets are cherry with a ginger glaze finish.

Windows are Pella replacements that were already in the house when I moved in. I just painted them white and replaced the trim and sills with cherry.

Is this a “I have more clamps than I need” display at your house?

X…

This ain’t shit.
Don’t make me go take a picture of ALL of them.

No, it’s a “If I show enough Irwin tools maybe work will pick up some of the cost of my remodel”. :wink:

:snky:

whole thing looks great but wow I LOVE the floor tiles… pimp.

TTT

Looks like Wifey and I are going to head to the cabinet outlet Friday night and see what we can get Saturday. Looking for a complete set + whatever other molding, bathroom vanity, etc catches our eye. We’re not stayin in this house more than 2 more years so we’re not real picky on what we get.

Jagermeister I’d PM you but I’m probably not the only one interested in your input.

I’m renting a trailer to get the stuff home. Any recommendations for trailer size for a full kitchen set? Enclosed or open?

We’ve got that guide that pretty much lays out the policies and procedures, has a sketched map of the place, etc. Any tips/tricks/advice?

pretty sure you wouldn’t want an open trailer if its an outlet they are probably not fully boxed

edit: i’m glad i didn’t have to redo mine, but after seeing jagaers I kinda wish that when mine was redone they used darker wood :wink:

attic is up for me in a month or so, only part im not excited about is electrical because i seriously hate wires.

in.

we’ve been considering this too, but we’ve actually found that we cant get the lowes “ready to stain” stuff for pretty cheap. They aren’t the cheapest, but maybe 2nd cheapest (lol)… for about $1400 in total.

So, Fry, let me know what you come up with (price per unit et al). :slight_smile:

Will do.

FYI I PM’d Jager asking about this and he responded with “Feed me Coors Lite and shots or I ain’t telling you dick.”

What a jerk. :cry:

J/K of course…

Fry, sent the PM before I saw your post… Call me to discuss.

For everyone:

Kraftmaid Outlet
5232 Tod Ave SW
Warren, OH 44481
440-632-2106

Be sure to call the Kraftmaid outlet recording before going to make sure they are open. It’s only Saturday’s and sometimes they close for holidays, employee days, etc. Whenever they are closed, the week after they will have double the number of cabinets.

Supplies needed:

-Tape measure (one for everyone with you)
-Clipboard
-Layout of your kitchen and what cabinet sizes are ideal.
-Kraftmaid catalog (Available at Depot or Lowes)
-Roll of masking tape
-Sharpies
-Trailer or big Van/Truck
-towels/moving blankets/tie down straps

I suggest bringing a trailer with you. Enclosed preferred b/c of rain. I tried to rent a trailer down there and three uhauls were sold out. It’s not a booming metropolis so there aren’t many places to rent from. I’d suggest a 12’ trailer. Pack everything really well so it doesn’t bang around on the journey home.

Opens at 7am but you should plan to be there by 6-6:30am to get in line.

It’s about a 3 1/2 hr drive. We left around 2-3am and made it in time. Once you get down there you will see a line of cars on the side of the road. Get in line and wait until they start to allow traffic into the industrial park. Once traffic starts flowing, you drive down single file and they hand a ticket to every occupant in your car. Go park and then head over to the warehouse door (where everyone will be headed) and turn your ticket in for a numbered wristband. That will determine when you can get in the building. First 150 get a 30 minute head start, then the next 150, then the next, etc. EDIT: Just because you got number 1 or 50 doesn’t not mean thats when you will be let in. They pull a number and that person and the next 149 numbers are allowed in first, in order. Say they pull 249. 249-399 are allowed in for the first 30 minutes. You go in order.

Full Kitchens:

All of the full kitchen sets are right in front of you when you walk in. Usually 10-15 sets. If you need a full kitchen, this is where you want to spend your time looking at whats available and the cabinets that come in the sets. See what can work for you, knowing that if your short a few cabinets to complete a kitchen, it may be difficult to finish the set. (It took me two more trips to get 3 cabinets that I needed). The full kitchens have sign up sheets. There is a woman that sits at a table with the sheets and you tell her which ones you want to be on the list for. Even if there are 4-5 names on the list before you, don’t get discouraged. There were 6 on the list before me and I still got it. I actually put my name of 4 kitchen sets and then went back and measured the cabinets and checked my layout to see what would work. You’ll have one hour from the time that you signed up to decide if you want it. Say someone on the list before signs up at 8:30 and you sign up at 8:35. At 9:30 they get crossed off and you have basically 5 minutes to say you want it. (Talk about high pressure)

If you need to do an entire kitchen, I highly recommend finding a full set. Trying to piece together a kitchen one or two cabinets at a time, could take many, many trips.

Single cabinets:

There are rows and rows of cabinets that are arranged by color and wood species. None of them are boxed, and you can’t pull them off the racks b/c of safety. You can move them, but don’t take them off or they will say something. If you find cabinets you like, put your name and wristband number on any of them with masking tape. I actually wrote my name out on 20 pieces of tape before hand and stuck it to the back of my clipboard. Once you receive your wristband, write down the number next to your name on the tape.

Be very careful of cabinet colors. Its not well lit in there and many cabinets look the same when they are not. Most cabinets will have colored label inside somewhere or on the back with a code on it. Matching codes, mean matching cabinets. You may find cabinets that are close in color and door style but not exact. Up to you, but it may be worth buying if it fits the need and no one else will be able to tell.

Wall Cabinets are $85 or $90 and Base cabinets are $95 or $100 each. If you know cabinets, this is cheap for the quality you are getting. Doesn’t matter the size or shape of the cabinet, they are the same price. There are also refrigerator cabinets, utility closets, pantries that are in the warehouse. These run $80-$180.

If you find single cabinets on the shelf you like and there is already a name on it, then just put your name on your tape below it and right “2” so that you are next if that person doesn’t take it. Some people walk in and just “blanket tape” a whole section of cabinets. They may take what they want and then just leave their tape on cabinets they don’t want. If #1 sees you putting your name on the same cabinet, they may say something. Just tell them you are second behind them. (People can get crazy in their sometimes)

Once you have decided what cabinets you want, there are people walking around with invoice books that will right you up and draw a line through your name on the tape.

Back room:

In the back room of the warehouse, are the vanities, super cheap cabinets, and trim/doors. Vanities are just lined up and you can go through them. The super cheap cabinets are on racks and have either been there for a while or may have damage to them. The trim racks are somewhat organized but can become a mess as people pick through them.

Any trim, doors, or end panels you want just tape up and mark with your name. If you need crown, base, or edge molding make sure you get enough. If you are short and have to buy later, it is a fortune!

Checkout:

Once you have decided and have your invoices written up you can proceed to the checkout and pay for everything. Do not touch the cabinets you have purchased. Once paid, take the invoice over and get in line to have someone help you. Take them to your cabinets and they will load everything onto the loading dock. This can become congested and take a while. Have someone with you get in line with your trailer while you are inside having the cabinets pulled.

CASH
VISA
MASTERCARD
ALL SALES FINAL

You can always go back in and have additional invoices written up if you forgot something, etc.

The place closes at 1:30pm. If you purchase cabinets and leave for lunch or to get a trailer they will place purchased items on the loading and leave. They did this to me!

Across the Street:

Across the street is CW Outlet that carries many different types of moldings. VERY good prices.

Majority of it is primed mdf, but there is some real wood stuff in there as well. Check this out after you are done with the kraftmaid stuff. CW is open longer and is stocked items, so they have lots of it.

That’s all I can thing of right now.

Good Luck!:slight_smile:

Cliffs: If you are not in the market for cabinets, don’t bother reading.

That pretty much answered every question I can think of. Thanks!

dangit!

I’ll keep updating this for anyone interested…

Just rented a 6 x 12 enclosed trailer from Uhaul. Had to call about 8 to find one. Only $29.99 for a day though. I’ll let you know if the 45mph suggested max speed is really just a suggestion…

There’s a Hampton Inn 15 minutes from the warehouse. I’ll probably stay there.

45mph lol

I just pulled one of those from VA -> Buffalo 75-80

If you are pulling it with a pickup without a cap, the wind resistance is crazy. I rented one and the difference between 60 and 70 in gas mileage was unreal. I had to gas up so many more times that it was actually faster to drive slower. :bloated:

x…