Latest Erie County Budget Proposal

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/814985.html

http://wwww.erie.gov/exec/?office-of-budget.html

I like this a lot.

Way to go, Chris. Keep cutting and streamlining government.

For the most part, :tup:
However, I don’t like this.
In a briefing Thursday, Collins told The Buffalo News he will turn over four clinical services to the Sheehan Health Network of Buffalo — meaning potential layoffs for some 45 Health Department employees who provide primary care, dental care, podiatry and women’s health care at county-run clinics.

He said Sheehan already provides those services and will welcome the county’s clients. He also will assure the Legislature that the government will work to find another provider for any client reluctant to switch to the Sheehan network.

In addition, Collins said his budget ends county government’s role in the day care registration program, which helps the working poor obtain child care services. The state Office of Children and Family Services will be asked to find a new contractor for the program in Erie County. Budget Director Gregory G. Gach said it means the elimination of 13 jobs.

The salaries of those more than 50 employees were covered primarily by state or federal aid and not local taxpayers alone.

He’s putting these people out of work and cutting the number of options the people who rely on them for care have, when the county doesn’t even have to pay their salaries, they’re covered by state and federal aid.

This is why we elected him.

If Rudy doesn’t step up I see Collins making a run for the governor’s office.

Newsflash, Erie county is part of NY State. Money saved by the state still helps Erie county and thus us out.

There is no money saved by the state. The state is just giving it to someone else.

Joe, I see the cutting of superfluous jobs a good thing. He said the county will find a provider for those that may be put out by the move. My opinion is that what can be done better and more efficiently by the private sector should be handed over to the private sector. There are too many overlapping providers in this area.

And the money that will be saved is the legacy costs of those employees. Even though their salaries arent payed directly by the county, their retirement and benefits are.

The way I’m reading it their salaries were paid by the state but their retiree health care was covered by Erie County.

As usual, you cut off the part of the quote that didn’t help your argument.

The salaries of those more than 50 employees were covered primarily by state or federal aid and not local taxpayers alone. (convenient joe stopped quoting here) But Collins says he wants to streamline county government, support non-profits when possible and lessen Erie County’s legacy costs for retiree health care, now forecast at around $890 million. oh hi there missing important information

I just don’t like putting 50 more people on unemployment/welfare in this economic climate, in the 3rd poorest city in the nation, when it doesn’t even save the county any money for some time to come and nobody can find a job. Maybe once things get back to normal, but legacy health care costs for current employees aren’t going to be paid now. I doubt the private providers will hire anyone additional to accomodate the new patients, or if they do it certainly won’t be 50 people, they’ll just overwork their current employees cause that’s what the private sector does these days, and quality of care will suffer.

Yeah, lets keep govt employees employed and raise taxes.:banghead:

I guess we could all just work for the govt and there would be no unemployed. Great logic.

That’s called operating like a normal business that has to stay in the black because they can’t just tax their “customers” for more money to stay afloat because they keep operating in the red.

Can you read? This did not save the county any money for many years, until the people retire. The state is paying a private corporation instead of the county. It doesn’t save them anything.

I guess we could all live in France… :io:

^^You just contradicted yourself in one post. Nice.

JUAT

Well I guess anything that only saves money down the road should be ignored.

Seriously man, you’re in hole with your logic in this thread. The first step to getting out is to stop digging.

so it’s like the stimulus?

How can you sit here and argue that it doesn’t save money until later down the road, but use the exact opposite argument for healthcare that won’t save anything to down the road…allegedly?

Not ignored. Put off until 10% of the damn country and way more of Western New York isn’t unemployed and they have a fighting chance at finding jobs, instead of living off the state and COSTING more money.

No, it’s time government was run like a business. Businesses across the country are making cuts and becoming more efficient to survive and government should be doing the same thing. You don’t keep unnecessary positions around because you’ve turned government jobs into government welfare.

Every time businesses cut jobs, they dump the burden onto the government, in the form of unemployment and welfare. So businesses may become “more efficient” but they just made your taxes go up.