Lazylaser's 97 talon

Wow that sucks man. I have 2 friends that ran pte’s for acouple years and had no problems but since they seem to be breaking now I would question running one. I think turbonetics has a 3 year warranty but you would have to swap out the mani and downpipe ect. This reminds me off all the used turbos I went through in the shelby lol. At one point I had to shut my car off at red lights due to the smoke hahah. I suggest buying a brand new turbo from a company so there is no question if it blows. Here is a trick I had to do to the shelby when it was my only car and the turbo blew. I took out the turbine and shaft and ran a bolt through it and tightened it so the compressor wheel wouldn’t spin or get exhaust leaking into it. Plugged the oil lines and drove around with no boost till I found another turbo.

Haha, yeah I have thought about going boostless if this temp turbo breaks, as I still have to to get around.That will suck with 7.8:1 comp pistons!
Luckly these 14b’s can be had for about $100 so I should be able to find another if this one goes. If the PTE 50 trim gets fixed, I’m selling it right away. They really didn’t make a good impression on me…

Holset and Borgwarner turbos seem to last for awhile for the guys that are using them, I don’t mind having Jeff at 1st try change my down pipe, or buy a new manifold as soon as I get a job. The 14b should last until then :fingers crossed:

HOLSET

What do you think, I haven’t really looked at them yet hx35 with a bullseye turbine housing?

nonono, full t3 footprint with the stock holset exhaust housing. i think most are 12cm housings since they use another measuring scheme instead of a/r.

I mean you can go with a bep housing but .55 a/r scares me. Apparently it does not choke out as fast as most will think.

Borg warner is good too but dont be confused, there are two variations.

Borg Warner/BEP = most t3 footprint turbos and turbos named: S258, S362, S374, etc etc

Full Borg Warners = all t4 housings and named like s200sx 75-70, s300sx 88-75, ETC

HA! my 14b was no longer making any boost. It was on its way out from the moment I put it on. It needed a rebuild so I was really lazy when installing it. I didn’t hook up any water lines…I guess you can’t do that.?..

I bought another 14b from spoolinsteve, I had to get it on my talon and get it running before I left for the dsm shootout. It does not have any shaft play, but it has oil on the turbine fins and I can see where the oil was puddled up and baked onto the center section…I have low expectations for the longevity of this 14b, but with no other options, I’ll bolt it on and hope for the best. No complaints for the price I paid, steve is a good seller

Pics of the next 14b.
As I bought it

Tore down, you can see its filthy with oil…I hope it was a bad feed line and not leaking from the turbo.

LOL, where is the rest of it?
It is so f’in tiny I can’t believe it can actually make boost.

This turbo works, and is healty, I could use it to get some more seat time at the 1/4 mile and play in auto x. Then we’ll all have a better idea of what times and traps are possible from the 14b on a full weight awd 2g…but f that the car is too slow.

The car has been running fine but boost is only ~10psi off of the tial wastegate spring, I can’t have this turbo fail so I’m keeping it really simple for now.

I’ve been in contact with PTE (precisionturbo.net) we worked out a deal (I was at their mercy) at half price on a new centersection, and they would change my turbine housing to T3 with a four bolt exhaust, since the last one (mitsu bolt on) was not salvageable. They said the “45 minute” turbo was because of not enough oil pressure?!? No ballance shafts being fed from the head, oh well.

I guess due to my lack of funds that I’ll be giving the PTE another shot, since its the least expensive option. This time I’ll be feeding from the oil filter housing.

Like I was saying, while the turbo was at PTE I decided to change things up a bit. I’ll be going to a t3 setup, keeping the w/g on the manifold, and ditching the mitsu bolt on stuff.

I got the last of my parts today. (Misc. install parts not pictured.) Using an old turbonetics cast manifold.

More T3 goodness pictured!

I was waiting on this, an eBay 4 bolt on-center o2 housing.

And one last picture of the “T3 50 trim” just to show that this is, in fact, larger than the 14b that is currently on the car.

IDK when I’ll get a chance to go round 2 with the PTE and install it, but one thing is for sure… I’ll be feeding from the oil filter housing.

likes this

word on the 14b, that ish was tighter than darkstars butthole when he was in 2nd grade.

I have a SFP manfiold If you want it dirt cheap if your turbonetics style one does not clear the block. I hope it does though.

OIL it from the OFH with 3an line, see what happens, i ran 4an with a restrictor and still huffed some, never failed though. Told you they would say an oil problem. NEVER oil a pte from the head, you have been reading too many slowboy writeups. : )

GOOD LUCK BEN!!!

nice car…are you from natrona heights area? i see that your friends with dustin.

Thanks man.
Dustin is a good friend of mine, he helped me build my car. I’m always around the Natrona Heights area, actually headed up there now. I don’t think I’ve seen your civic around yet/

thats very suprising you havent saw mine yet. im out driving alot or its parked somewhere in teh heights. if you ever see it stop by normally with alot of cars if my cars parked.

Oh boy Natty Heights parking lot hangouts. LOL

oh no kurt when my car is park not me hanging out. parked eating or its where i leave my car to ride with someone else.

Word!

Back when I worked at the shack the car leaked a decent amount of oil. I would park somewhere, get out, pop the hood, and by the time I checked the oil and closed it there were 400 other kids parked around me with crooked visors leaning on their cars going “yO”.

Alright, I decided to start on project “50trim 2nd attempt”.

I know that changing everything is going to mean than the angles are going to need worked on
and that this is NOT just going to be a bolt on affair like it was with the dsm bolt on.
Here you can see how my dump tube was routed with the SBR cast manifold.

And where my egt was mounted through the JMF heat shield, I’ll drill the turbonetics manifold for EGT, but I’ll have to lose the heat shield which I’m kind of sad about…

Here is the easy part, removing all the old Turbo stuff. It took about an hour by myself.

I’m glad I won’t have to use any water lines with the PTE.

Also pictured more stuff that took time and money to get right that won’t be reused.

…A moment to compare the 14b vs. the 50 trim to know that when it’s all done that it will be worth it.

Now the “fun” part…Mock up time to see what fits and what doesn’t.

Luckily the turbine housing and the inlet cover fit without hitting the block!!!
It’s damn close though.

Turbine housing

Inlet cover
As you can see I found a plug for the water line and used a lot of high temp rtv to keep it plugged.

The turbonetics exhaust manifold really tilts the angle where the turbine housing bolts to it, it’s an odd angle so let’s see how the $100+ ebay four bolt on center o2 fits.

Ebay o2 housing for t3 four bolt on center turbos.

When the bolt holes are lined up, there is a bad angle between the exhaust and the flange that it mates to on the o2.

I really wish I had a v band on the turbo side, I’m going to have to get someone to cut and weld the Stainless steel o2 to fit.
Here is what it looks like on the turbo when the downpipe flange is mated flat.

The flange on the turbine side needs rotated about an inch.

I also know why the turbonetics cast manifold is only for 2g’s, it sticks the wastegate up so damn high.
And again has some crazy angle to it over how the SBR cast manifold positioned the wastegate.

Just barely clears the hood of a 2g.

When my dump tube sits how it used to the angle at the flange is all wrong, the dump tube will have to be changed/welded to fit.

Another few pictures of my fan, I love this fan.

I also found this little Gem under my car, my boot split I’m glad I planned on doing brakes soon anyways at least the car will be jacked up and the wheel will be off, so I’ll already be ¼ of the way there.

:dunno:Now I do have a question about all of this,

I need to know where I can get the cleanest oil to feed my turbo from my 6 bolt oil filter housing.
(Never mind the filth, I had a power steering incident)
There are a couple ports, I need to tap into the cleanest for the turbo oil feed line, and another one for my oil pressure gauge, while keeping the idiot light even if it needs moved. Ideas? Suggestions? Links?

Not sure if there is a difference in where all these ports come from? We always just used the extra blocked off port in the front of the housing.

Thanks stinkbox.
I found my answer.

2!!! RRE wins.

Its a pain sometimes, every oil filter housing i had to remove and heat it up with a torch before the allen plug would come out. and its at some weird ass angle.

Thanks for the heads up, This bitch is getting and big ass allen key bit and the air gun!
Then when shit bolts back on, its off the 1st try to have Jeff weld up my flanges.

I’m just worried about fixing that torn boot.

I got it out and the new 90* to AN fitting in and tight.

I put an allen key in there, then tried with all my might to break it free. Then, I put the closed end of a wrench on the end of the allen key, when it still didn’t move I grabed the air gun and an allen bit for the air gun, bam that sucker was free and shooting oil all over the tools that were still under the car in no time.

Turbo is on. Everything but W/g dump tube and o2 housing are still going to need tweaked, I’m headed to see Jeff tomorrow evening, so the car should be 100% running for the weekend.

If I can steal Asmodeus away long enough for a kick ass tune, I might be able to get to a test & tune, too.

And while I’m under the car replacing the torn boot, I’ll be able to slap these on.
Some fresh HAWK pads, and some DBA sloted rotors, thanks to demon motor works.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t48/my1stpeanut/102_3323.jpg