Legalizing Honda 50

I recently picked up a 1976 Honda Z50 Mini Trail. Bike came factory with lights. Iv been playing with the idea of trying to get it street legal in NY. Just curious if any one else has attempted this in NY or has a lead on going about it? So far from what I have found online. There are nys titled Z50’s out there, so I know its possible somehow.

Do it in NH… NH or VT… Probably impossible here in NY unless your swapping title from NH or VT where it was initially done… could be wrong however.

Don’t you need to have a residence in those states to register a bike?

Just a PO box in VT for a car and I wouldn’t think a bike would be any different.

Ah. Still would like to see if anyone knows the in and outs to get this done in NY.

Wrong. You do no need a PO box. Right on their website it says you do not need to be a resident to register a car.

As far as the fifty help I got nothing to contribute other than actual commuting on it would be… interesting.

Vladimir is correct for once.

yep, my trailer is registered in VT. they didnt even ask for ID when i registered

Ok thanks guys. Seems going to a VT DMV is best.

vt rules for shady business practice

i saw a midget on a pocket rocket before. all legal with tag and reg.

so it should be able to pass in the low speed motorcycle section.

http://www.moped2.org/laws/New-York.htm

In NY if you want to use it on the road you’d have to equip it with a horn, muffler, mirrors, windscreen, headlamp, tail lamp, brake lights, turn signals, plate light, and speedometer. Once you have all that you’d contact technical assessment and have them look it over. If all is good they give you a notice of registration acceptability and you’d be able to put it on the road.

So in short register in VT.

You need an inspection in VT as well.

How does it work with getting a title in NY?

Depends on the bike. If it’s a limited use that goes under 40mph it gets a transferable reg. faster it gets a title. In order to get ownership you’d either need proof or ownership from another state such as a transferable reg or title. Or if it’s never been registered the MCO (manufacturers certificate of origin) if it’s a limited use and you have no ownership you could just do a vin tracing and fill out an mv-51 and 51b as long as you’ve had it (or say you’ve had it) for over a year.

I’ll probably just go through VT. Lol

Exactly!

I have done the mv-51b for atv’s before, but I thought the mv-51 was for 72’ and earlier vehicles? basically if I get it registered in VT. I can then transfer that to NY and apply for a NY plate with the registration I obtain from DMV in VT. Kinda using VT as another easier step to get the NY reg.

Exactly. 51 and 51b are basically just a form to use to transfer ownership of a non titled vehicle in lieu of forcing the previous owner to register. You may only have to fill out one of them I’d have to read over the form. But yeah as long as it’s registered as a motorcycle and not an atv in VT it should go right through. Keep in mind though if it doesn’t have all the features I listed in my first post you may get hassled by cops. But as far as registration goes registering in VT and bringing it into NY is far easier than jumping through NYs hurdles.

It would have all those features except windscreen (Never been hassled about that before on my on/off road). I am also actually picking up another thats already in VT. So I may just get that and go right to dmv there in one shot.

Yeah so you should be fine then.