Looking for 300zx experts

A friend of mine is interested in buying a late model 300zxbut he needs the one with the backseat, which the twin turbo model doesnt come with right? So my question is, Would it be feasible to build the n/a motor and turbocharge that? or Is it pretty easy to do a motor swap from the n/a 300zx motor to the twin turbo motor?

google came up with this:

http://www.vintagecomputercafe.com/ZFaq.htm

it was a good read.

my opinion is that working on those motors in that bay is horrible.

Wouldn’t swapping back seats be alot easier than swapping motors?

how would you suggest getting that done?

this was on the site that TwoFortySX posted:
“If you have a non-turbo, and you really want more performance, I’m afraid the best conclusion is to sell it in favor of a turbocharged model.”

I figured like most car interiors it probably just has some screws and bolts holding it in. Unless Nissan did something really crazy where you can’t swap interiors because of how they designed it, I’d just go pull some rear seats out of a junkyard. Last time I was up Wagners on rt.19 I know there were at least 1 or 2 up there.

my buddy has a 300 and we have put a few engines in there. started off n/a then two engines later he decided to go turbo. so its really not that hard

great find, very imformative. thanks.

from that article it seems the 2+2 model is like 6 inches longer, so it cant be done.

what was the cost of putting the twin turbo engine in his?

Talk to flatblackterror, he’s pretty good at breaking 300ZXs…

Your right everything under the hood is crammed in there, the TT is worse

Impossible the 2+2 is has a longer wheel base

Your full of shit…Pics with a penny

exactly correct, look at the drivers side the gas door on the 2 seater is forward of the rear wheel. The 2+2 the gas door is aft of the wheel.

You easily looking at close to $8000-$10,000 dollars.

For more info check the Z forums:

www.twinturbo.net and www.300zxclub.com

IMO dont buy one they are heavy, slow, and require lots of work. Just go buy a 240sx, F-body, or a Mustang

thanks for the info. Ill let my friend know. At this point we are looking at the 2005 GTO very fast out of the box but will be a higher car payment which means no money for the gto’s expensive parts. 1999 Eclipse GSX, quick out of the box but nothing crazy, older so it will mean restoring the car before actually getting to play with it, but very low car payment which will let modifying be very easy. And then the 300zx. those are the cars he is choosing between.

Thats a little crazy lol. Honestly that is a little weird they did that, but hell at least I learned something new today.

A lot of things in this car dont make sense.

lol… x2…

The only main difference between the NA and TT blocks are the position of the oil squirters. other then that you can buy stage 1 TT heads from z1motorsports and build up the rest of the stuff. Im almost finished with my TT swap it took me 5 months so far. But im doing alot more then just the TT swap. I put new subframe bushings on, Diff. bushings, rear upper control arms, rear toe arms, TT motor, UR underdrive crank pully, Areomotive FPR, Z1 1pc drive shaft, Mines ECU, Noltec Urethane motor mounts, Nismo tranny mount, Braided SS brake lines, SS clutch line, EGR removal kit, New Main engine harness, Exhaust wrap, and a front mount IC. If I were you I would buy the 2+2 Z then swap a TT motor in I spent about 2400 on mine. getting a uncut harness isnt that big of a deal, they cost 350 then all of the little odd and ends youll need you spend around 5 or 6 K in parts plus the price of the 2+2. or you could just buy a front clip for around 33 or 3400 shipped. good luck with what ever your friend decides.

you tell this guy that it is impossible.
http://www.300zxclub.com/showthread.php?t=89858&highlight=2+conversion

Also if you remove the EGR, PS, and The AC its not any worse the the NA.

No anything is possible with the right amount of money. But then comes the common sense part, why buy a car to spend that much money to swap it. It doesnt make sense.

i heard bad things about the mines ECU.go with a jwt or ash spec.mince will lean the car out way to much.and if u can go with some good side mount intercoolers.if i knew better when i first bought the car i would have.unless u have a upgraded rad ur gonna have overheating issues