Lower Ball joint and some round thing.

I blew a ball joint on the passenger side on my buick last night, got it towed to my house via AAA.

Noticed this morning that there is a round grease covered thing hanging down from i think the tranny.

Its near the CV boot and halfshaft, about 5 inches in from the tip of the control arm.

Its a thin metal and its round, when the tow guy was pulling the car onto the flatbed it was making a ticking noise and he said that was the wheel pulling the halfshaft out of the tranny and he was trying to avoid that.

Lower ball joints are $45 a piece for the parts plus what my mechanic charges to install them,

I need to know what the hell this other thing is.

Sorry No pics, I am at work.

cv joint?

The boot and shaft seem to be intact.

Its probably 5-6 inches in diameter.

you got pic? the only other thing i would be able to thing of if its making the ticking noise would be the cv joint or where the cv joint sits into.

I am at work, So I dont have pics the car is at home.

It doesnt make the noise now, only when the wheel was being pulled wayyy far out.

It just has this part hanging down that is round, thin metal and covered in grease.

lol.

PICS!

wtf is that

from the looks of it thats part of the cv boot. is it rubber with a thin metal crimped strap? definatly looks like the cv joint blew out on you.

that grease is supposed to be in your cv boot.

^ what he said u blew a cv joint. have fun .

the easiest thing to do is buy the whole shaft and cv joints i belive you can find the whole set for about 40ish bucks. and its only a hour or so the throw everything together.

Good Call.

thanx,

thats probably the first time anyone has said something nice to me on this board,lol.

Thanks I was just hoping I didnt need a new tranny.

The tow guy said that the half shaft was pulling on the tranny so that thing prolly popped out from the pulling on that part.

Shouldnt be too bad just more money down the hole

yeah it was coming out of the tranny because there was nothing holding it in.

just make sure you check that the splines o the ends didnt get chewed up.

Part is like $60 new from Advance. which aint to bad.

Im sure hell check the splines but ill remind him.

I have to commend the original ball joints for going 147,000 miles

Idk… I never heard anything good about advanced/autozone parts. You check carquest?

ive been using advance for years, no issues

CV joints from Advance are stronger than the ones from NAPA…not that you’re too concerned with strength. :wink:

well its not like i baby this car.

I drive hard…real hard

i have bought alot of my parts from advance as long as you dont listen to them your fine.lol.