LS/VTEC, WHICH BLOCK???

Hey everyone, I am planning on doing a mild build this winter and I wanted to get some of you Honda Gurus opinion on what to go with. Currently right now I have a stock GSR Block and ported head w/5 angle valve job and a stage 1 full race kit w/t304e 60trim. I bought a micropolished LS crank and Manley rods for the LS crank. Havent decided on what pistons or C/R to go with as of yet. I do not plan on sleeving the block and I have heard that the GSR sleeves are stonger than the LS, but in order to use the GSR block you have to eliminate the oil squirters. Would it be easier to use an LS block or to remove the squirters?? Has anyone else heard that the GSR sleeves are stronger than LS?? Thanks ahead of time for the input.

i think you should get an ls block and give me the gsr block… lol

lol thanks for the advice:bigok:

just build the gsr.

GSR = girdle.

stock sleeves are only as good as the tune really never heard anything about the gsr sleeves being better but the gsr does have the girdle. the oil squirters would not be hard to plug, they sell plugs for them.

^ = the answer.

The oil squirters can still be used with an LS crank in the GSR block as long as your piston skirts also clear. I have built and ran the LS crank in a GSR block with a set of wiseco pistons and only needed to slightly bend the ends of the squirters to have everything clear ok. Also, if you decide to just plug them all that is really needed is 4 bolts with the proper threads and little lock-tite. Also as mentioned, the gsr cylinders have better reinforcement at the bottom end at least over the LS due to the 6 bolt girdle which is dowel pinned into the bottom. You can get aftermarket girdles for the LS but most do not use dowel pins.

GSR block with the LS crank. I was thinking that before I even read that you had that already

Ok here is it. the post you guys have been waiting for!!

GSR block vs ls block. 1st thing cost is the cost of the block going to be the same after getting an “ls-vtec” kit? (oil to the head). If so just pick up a GSR block.

The LS girdle will not be an issue at the power lever your going to be at i wouldent worry about that.

Here is my experance with Squirters on my setup I kept them I have a GSR block and an LS crank. It was Close but they fit with room. (84mm)
Vinces motor on '06 was/is a stock sleeve 81.5 weisco piston eagle rod motor. Straigh GSR. Crank and block. THE OIL SQUIRTERS DID NOT FIT. Reason was the Sqirt of the piston was either to thick or to long. so he plugged the holes.

GE sells the Plug kit cheap.

That all i got…discuss

like what joe said above really to know if you can keep the squirters or not with an ls crank depends on the skirt of the piston

thanks everyone for the info, this is my first build so im still a dumb ass w/ this shit :bigthumb: Does anyone know if cp pistons would clear the oil pisserz???

81mm I dont think any will clear

ok now that i think i got all the opinions on the oil pissers give me your opinions on what pistons to go with and what c/r??

Id its just a mild build why not some stock LS Pistons. Those shouldn’t net anything higher the a 10:1 compression. Maybe some RS machines replicas? can be had for $150 with some new hastings rings.

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto.php

alot of good reading material

Will not fly with the rods, and he is shooting for upper 400hp+

Off the shelf JE’s are good and CP’s are good.
I run CP. but JE’s are just as good.
If you are running a GSR head I went with 9:1 with a GSR head and an ls crank it was around 9.4

I would keep it from 9-10:1

I would only get a Reinforced weisco i heard some things about off the shelf pistons. (wristpin terror)

Alright I didn’t know he was shooting that High I was thinking he was going for something more like sub 300. In that case then yea I’d run the CPs also.

what do you mean by off the shelf…as in not custom made/specs?? and Im hoping for around 500 im pretty close to 400 now and compared to Joe I consider it Mild :slight_smile: but then again everything is mild in my book, i have buddies with twin turbo monte carlos and camaros running mid 6 second 1/4s so our little Honda’s are kinda a joke…lol but very impressive jokes for only half the cylinders and still easily achievable 30mpg :slight_smile: