LT1 questions.

yeah yeah…

Couldn’t keep myself away from RWD V8 domestics with stick. Just bought a black '95 convertible m6 Trans Am with 97K. Going to get the coolant & brake fluid flushed right off, stock clutch replaced, and plan to install the MSD Opti-Spark unit.

Couple questions I have are what plugs, plug wires, diff & trans fluids do the LT1 guys recommend? I just want to get this thing tuned up with all clean fluids. I would like to either use Amsoil or Redline in the trans & diff, but want your input first. Thanks in advance.

FWIW - I’m just keeping it stock. Will probably install a skip shift elim & Hurst shifter eventually, maybe a CAI & Borla exhaust - but nothing beyond that. Just want to pay it off so my gf has a nice car for when she moves down here next year :slight_smile:

IB4LS1

Vert transams are nice. one of the few 4th gens I really like.

thanks man :tup:

yeah, it totally rubbed me the right way. Wasn’t even really in the market for a droptop, but couldn’t beat the price and i knew the girl would love it. despite my undying passion for the outstanding build quality of my GSR, she hates my milano pink hotness, says it looks like a cavalier…

I’ll post pics for the el tea juan haters later on this week when I get it waxed up :touchy:

honestly I personally dont care for F bodies as Verts but I wouldnt kick one out of my garage : )

I dunno about the T56 but the 4L60E prefers Dexron, anything aftermarket has a tendency to help them go down hill fast

I would go with whatever the General originally recomended

i have a shifter for sale if you want it

[quote=“9c1ny,post:4,topic:36022"”]

honestly I personally dont care for F bodies as Verts but I wouldnt kick one out of my garage : )

I dunno about the T56 but the 4L60E prefers Dexron, anything aftermarket has a tendency to help them go down hill fast

I would go with whatever the General originally recomended

[/quote]

dex III, six speed inc says mobil 1 or dex III IRC.

o and taylor OTV WIRES, with ngk plugs.

Buy a LS1 fuck that garbage

[quote=“FormulaLS1,post:7,topic:36022"”]

Buy a LS1 fuck that garbage

[/quote]

:shoot::shoot:

[quote=“ly555is”"]

…Going to get the coolant & brake fluid flushed right off, stock clutch replaced, and plan to install the MSD Opti-Spark unit.

Couple questions I have are what plugs, plug wires, diff & trans fluids do the LT1 guys recommend? I just want to get this thing tuned up with all clean fluids. I would like to either use Amsoil or Redline in the trans & diff, but want your input first. Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

Coolant & brake flush wouldn’t be a bad idea on a 1997 car. A new clutch couldn’t hurt. As far as the MSD Opti replacement it is a great piece, but at $525 for just the part I wouldn’t replace your stocker if it isn’t broken. I have seen many high mileage LT1s with stock vented Optis still going strong. Plugs I tend to prefer NGK TR55 for stock LT1 and LS1 cars. Wires MSD, Taylor, Accel, etc… they are all good. Dexron III in a stock tranny (brand not important) Diff 80w90 or if synthetic 75w90 can go wrong with either 2 you mentioned

MSD Wires
NGK Plugs
MSD Opti is a nice unit especially with the timing control feature but for $500 I wouldn’t replace it unless you need it. If your staying relatively stock I would just go with a stock GM unit.

[quote=“J&J,post:9,topic:36022"”]

Coolant & brake flush wouldn’t be a bad idea on a 1997 car. A new clutch couldn’t hurt. As far as the MSD Opti replacement it is a great piece, but at $525 for just the part I wouldn’t replace your stocker if it isn’t broken. I have seen many high mileage LT1s with stock vented Optis still going strong. Plugs I tend to prefer NGK TR55 for stock LT1 and LS1 cars. Wires MSD, Taylor, Accel, etc… they are all good. Dexron III in a stock tranny (brand not important) Diff 80w90 or if synthetic 75w90 can go wrong with either 2 you mentioned

[/quote]

:word: wow can’t believe I just said that.

I just used Autolite Copper plugs, the NGK’s sucked and didn’t last for the $$ I paid. Wires are kind of a crap shoot; Almost all I know of someone has had arcing issues; I ran Taylors with no issues though.

T-56 fluids - Honda ATF; great stuff or Mobil 1 Dextron III.

Rear-axle -whatever you really want, just make sure to use real GM limited slip additive.

As for the Opti, like was said, don’t f-with it unless it’s broken. If it works, LEAVE IT. Mine lasted for 75K until I got a Delteq setup. And even the “broken” one was ok once I opened it up, it was another issue that was causing it to run like shit.

the arcing is typically because of the install which is why the taylors are nice, you dont have to run the wires through the primaries.

[quote=“97FormulaWS-6,post:12,topic:36022"”]

Rear-axle -whatever you really want, just make sure to use real GM limited slip additive.

[/quote]

:word: GM # 1052358

cool, thanks for all the input guys :tup: I really appreciate it.

The water pump weep hole’s going pretty good - I just don’t want to have this all apart 2x. MSD Opti it is. I need to trust this car if I ever have to get rid of the GSR. Having the plugs/wires done at the same time, def getting a stock clutch as well. I’ll go for the Taylor wires, then :slight_smile:

Ordered new clutch slave & master as well. Rear main seal’s going to be replaced as long as it’s apart.

Real pleased with the car so far, even handled the car wash wayyyy better than the c5! Less leaks rule.

PS flush, tint (legal), decent head unit, new rear wheel bearing, and driver’s side window motor, think I’ll be set.

for the price the accell opti is a better deal imo. save yourself $200.

you should probably be asking the “LT1 KING” these questions … :lol:

meh - too late. Heard nothing but good from lots of peeps on the MSD, already ordered it from Jeg’s :tup:

LT1 KING?

ahh its just a inside joke…theres good info already stated in the thread :tup:

I love TA verts good buy. I wont rag on the LT1 only because you say you are just wanting to drive the car and dont plan to heavily mod. Post some pics i would like to see it. TAs with a nice set of wheels look HOT! BTW if there are already pics and my stupid gov computer just blocks them my bad.