max boost on stock sr20 setup?

what is the max boost the sr20det (either red / black top) can put out safely?

ive done some reading, but cannot come to any real conclusion

all i know is it can take 400 hp safely without having to build it up, new headgasket, better pistons and rods. So it depends on what turbo your running and how much boost its creating to make 400 hp.

hrrm

right now, im boosting 8-9psi on pretty much a stock engine/turbo setup. Say i picked up an electronic boost controller, would pushing 12-13-14-15psi be safe? or even doable?

About 12-14psi is gonna be the tops you can go in stock for…

Restrictions:

• t25 runs out of steam around there
  • Depending on your setup and how much power you are making you could be running out of MAF and/or injectors.

15 psi would be max on the stock turbo safely all day long. you can always boost more but then its un predictable what will happen

^^^ its unpredictable what will happen if you listen to this guy

oh wait, no its not. your shit will blow up!

i know a couple guys that ran 14 -15 psi all the time and had no probs what the F@$K you talking about he asked whats maximum so i gave him the maximum

i would talk to sasha like that…have you seen his car
:shock:

assuming your talking you have basic mods… exhaust intercooler fuel pump clutch etc… i wouldnt push it past 12psi… and only every once and a while, dont beat it all day long…

what do you think sasha

there are a couple guys on 240sxforums.com with completely stock motor with stock head gasket who push between 14-18psi and have between 300-400whp with stock internals…

their are to many variables when one would say “whats the max boost my motor will handle”

if the head gasket is already on its way out and you increase the boost, well the gasket probably wont stand up to the added pressure so you’ll finish it off quicker

if you already have a rod bearing going say and you double the boost and drive the piss outta it, odds are your going to throw a rod

if your turbo isnt in the best shape and you crank up the boost you could blow your turbo.

So whatever you decide to do… do at your own risk unless you dont care about blowing something.

^^^ its unpredictable what will happen if you listen to this guy

oh wait, no its not. your shit will blow up![/quote]

no it wont :stuck_out_tongue: well it might depends on your engine.

i was overboosting stock setup for 8 months lol
and nothing happened, but i dont recommend it to anyone !!

but yeah no more than 15psi anything more is pointless turbo cant take it.

overboosting meaning how many psi boost?

1st gear. 19psi…2nd through 20 psi …lol noob forgot to connect the hose from the wastegate so it wasnt oppening at all. :lol:

8 months on that !! … doesnt mean you should do that.

your buddies may claim to run high boost but what they are confusing for high boost is boost spike… hold at 9… shift and it spikes at 14.
if you have a stock SR without any fuel or engine management and you simply turn boost up bad things will happen. maybe not instantly, but in time.

if you run a T25 day in day out at 15psi all the way to redline you will damage your shit. you’re outflowing the maf and the turbo is way inefficient blowing out hot air, T25 cant even hold more than 12psi to redline from what ive seen anyways

I agree with spilner!!! If you just listen to what people say, you will likey blow stuff up.

If you have a stock setup I would not go much more then are now. If you have and upgraded fuel pump, then I would say no more then 11 and I would not run it like that all the time. Next would be an FMIC. Then maybe up to 14-15. After that new turbo for sure and I would be thinking of bigger injecters, computer, MAF, head gasket. The list can go one, just depends on how fast?

Good luck and talk to many people before you just go and do something, unless you have deep pockets and like to have fun, blowing up stuff, You know HAPPY SMOKE.

thanks for all the replies.

Right now, i have a 96 blacktop, fuel pump, FMIC, reactive intake, stage 1 exedy clutch, 3’’ downpipe to catback exhaust. Now, i am looking into upgrading the exhaust manifold, the injectors and probably the cams & springs.

get a new filter

12psi is good

car hardly gets faster above that and its all bad for it.

:werd:

lose the paper K&N rip off filter and run it at 10psi, mint.

i can crap in a bag and say it’s worth a million dollars…if you belive me, like you belive your friends, you’re an idiot too.

i can show you what 17psi constantly will do to a t25…they dont like it…so dont push your shit, upgrade and do it the right way. end of story.

if not you may and probably WILL learn the hard way.