Maxwell's '74 cb450 cafe build.

I took apart the stock pan and threw it on the bike. I kinda like it and it will save me some $ while also allowing me to use the folding and locking functionality. All I need to do is get some yoga pad and wrap it with some sort of vinyl leather or suede. What do you think, black or brown?

-Paul

I think brown with gold stitching would be super classy on there…

Word. I’m still on the fence about it. We’ll see. Speaking of which, I don’t have a sewing machine. Does anyone know a good tailor or seamstress?

Also, i’m going to clean up the frame some more and hit it with some black. I see the frame inevitably coming in contact with fuel. What sort of paint would you guys recommend?

I like this build a lot. Clean and simple :tup:

and now I’m in the process of purchasing another bike, bastards.

if it comes in contact with fuel, it’s spraypainted…you can touch it up…

that said, I think the Rust-oleum engine enamel is the one that is resistant to fuel…

Thx GV!

Nick, i’ll give the engine enamel a shot. I think I may try to find some gold enamel to paint the engine mounts for another subtle touch of gold.

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

EDIT: I also found out that my GF’s mother has a sewing machine. Oh boy, this could be funny.

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

I cut off the excess material and the turn signal marker tabs, and started to round it out last night before hockey. It shows past the seat pan just a hair… I’m cool with this. If anything, I can mount new turn signals here or something. Maybe next year i’ll hoop the tail and put a true cafe pan on there. For now, this is just fine.

-Paul

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

EDIT: I really need to take this lifeproof case off my phone. It gets foggy in the garage from the cold and takes turrrible pictures. My bad.

What if you did a shorty fender mounted there just between the remainder of frame left…would give you a nice place to mount a tail light/plate mount combo, as well as keep mudd/gravel/water off your back…I happen to have about 8" of rear fender left from the bobber…

watchout elmwood…

jk man looking good nice progress since the summer!

Thx Kramer, you dusty ankle bender.

I have the stock rear fender that I was hoping to cut down a bit and weld to the swingarm as a floating rear fender (coughyouweldcough). That should keep the crap off the filters if I ever get stuck in the rain.

I don’t think I want to have any fender poking through back there. I already have a few good idea’s for a taillight, but i’m not 100% sure yet.

LOL, gotcha

Speaking of which, you busy this weekend? If I get that swingarm done I can start painting things while the other crap is on order.

not sure yet…Saturday is up in the air, Sunday night is out for sure…I’ll let you know. Plus I’m running a little low on wire in the welder.

We’ll talk about Saturday. I’d like to get at the very least the frame and swingarm done and sprayed while I wait on these parts and work on this seat fabric.

fyi, this is a pretty good representation of what I meant by a little bitty fender out back:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/3af8938a98225a481f6332fee0a9e1c9/tumblr_mf6lfdQNUb1rl1zk0o1_500.jpg

I also noticed the orange bike you posted above seems to have a very similar fender treatment, just in black instead of silver…

Just putting it out there…you’ll have to see how you feel about the look once the swingarm and rear wheel are back on the frame…

Word. I need to take a closer look at rear fender treatments this weekend.

Hey, I’m going to take my rims to have new tires mounted and balanced this weekend. What was the name of that local shop again?

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

EDIT: Nevermind, dug it out of PM’s. Calling them now.

Empire Cycle on Southwestern Blvd. I’ll be stopping in with the wheels Saturday AM! I spoke with an older sounding guy named Lee. Is that the same guy you were talking about Nick?

yup! Lee is the fucking MAN

sweet deal. I’m going to run the same sizing as the green 450 above from that inspiration build thread. I’ll most likely go with the Avon tires too.

continuing my search for a honda bike. I will keep an eye on this build, hopefully have one myself!

:tup:

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Honda’s are like the new… Hondas.

Did I start a fad? I’ve had my CB550 cafe racer for 6yrs now lol.