Maxwell's '74 cb450 cafe build.

I scratch-sewed the seat for my bike but it beat the shit out of my mom’s sewing machine to the point where it doesn’t work well anymore… and that was only a few seams. You really need a good sewing machine to sew leather or vinyl or canvas:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/ctnewman3/17.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

Pshhh, mine had clipons in 2005 sucka.

ive sewed a few armrests in my day…yes i have a machine:gay2:

Hrmmm… I don’t know how nice the machine is, but I don’t see it being too high end. I was going to check it out this weekend.

I was also told about a place called Richards Upholstery in Hamburg, NY. I guess I wouldn’t be opposed to having the seat professionally done, but I really want to try it myself for the experience and satisfaction. I guess if a good upholstery place won’t charge me an arm and a leg i’d consider it.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for an upholstery guy? Personal experience?

Also, i’m still really torn on black fabric/leather with possibly gold stitching… or brown leather. The entire bike is black/orange/gold, and while the brown would compliment the color scheme nicely, so would the black. What do you guys think?

If you ever want to change anything brown leather is going to be a stopping point. I’d use black.

Exactly. Nothing else is going to be brown. hrmm. hrmmmm.

As unproductive as today felt I guess I still got a lot done. I cleaned, de-greased, and finalized the grinding on the frame,scooped up some engine enamel for the frame in black, and some in gold for the engine mounts, and I dropped off the wheels to Lee at Empire Cycles in OP! I also placed this big order below. I bought pre-made clipons and the nice progressive shocks with the HD springs, but I think it will be well worth the extra dough. I also scooped some universal clipons since the ones focusinprogress hooked me up with from an r6 won’t work on both sides.

Item
EBC Rear Brake Shoes - (Fits: CB/CL 450, 500 and 550K/F)
Honda CB/CL Rear Brake Rod Spring 95014-73300
Stainless Steel Tie Wraps DCC-SSTW
1/4" Translucent Brass Fuel Line 35-4200
1/8" Translucent Brass Colored Vent Line
5/16" Translucent Brass Fuel Line
35mm Chrome Clip-ons
Universal 12 Volt Ignition Coil - (Fits: Single’s & Twin’s) SI-47
Vintage Cloth Spark Plug Wire Kit - (Yellow/Black) P-ELEC-PlugWire-Cloth-Y
M10 x 1.25 Chrome Suspension/Engine Top End Acorn Cap Nuts
Chrome Steering Stem Nut - (Fits: CB/CL360K/T, CB400F, CB450, CX500, CB500T, CB550F/K, & CB750F/K)
Progressive Vintage “12 Series” 13" Eye to Clevis Gas Charged Shocks - (Black or Chrome)Select Springs Heavy Duty Black
Thick Chrome Steering Stem Bolt Washer - (Fits: Most CB/CL’s) 90503-283-000
Loaded Gun Universal Cafe Racer Rearsets LGC-REARSETS
DCC Originals Universal Cafe Racer Rearset Linkage Kit DCC-RSLINKAGE
8-Ball Valve Stem Cap 13-00952

I was also told today that the sewing machine I was going to borrow cannot hold up to leather, just like newman said, so I won’t be able to use that. I am really not quite sure what to do with the tail section at the moment but i’ve got some time to figure it out. I cut a chunk of the original foam and slapped in on there just for shits and giggles.

LOVE IT!
Mind saying how much that list cost ya?

i had a cafe style xs650 in 2003…jusssayin

I hate days where I have tons of ambition but lack the supplies to really do anything about it…

even worse is being on a wild goose chase for the supplies but not finding them local AT ALL. I just need some fucking bronze inserts/bushings to make my god damn forward controls and all my fab work will be done. I finished just about everything else there is to make today… (must have been a solstice or something cause it looks like every one of us with a build thread has updates today lol)

Just get em from mcmaster.

I found out Grainger carries them, but they weren’t open today. I’ll stop on my lunchbreak monday and see if I can get what I need. If I get the foot controls done this week the bike is ready for full breakdown and paint.

Thanks man. It was just a hair over 600, but keep in mind the rear springs were almost half that.

So true… and to top it off I had to run around for half the day to help the lady with a few things around her place.

Prepping the frame sucks. I am in the process of sanding down some of the surface rust and cleaning everything some more. This brings up a question. So, i’ll be rattle canning the frame with duplicolor engine enamel. Right now I am hitting some of the rust spots with 220 and it’s exposing raw metal. Should I use some sort of self etching primer after I hit everything with 440 and clean it with mineral spirits? Or should I just say fuck it and hit it with the engine enamel after cleaning things the best I can?

I got really sick of working on the frame and my ADD kicked in, so I started to degrease the engine a bit with some simplegreen. I need to get some decent brushes to get into some of the cracks. Any recommendations?

Sometimes those rattle cans say no primer is needed. If you do use primer make sure you use non sanding primer so you don’t have to sand the frame twice.

I’ll read the can and go from there. Good call on a no sanding primer.

Purple power + simple green + dawn dish soap.

Trust me.

And go to HF and get their miscellaneous brush kit. Has SS brushes, brass and nylon.

Just that easy, eh? Thanks dude.

So, do I mix up all three and wait for the explosion, or what?

if you’re going to use ANY primer, I’d highly reccomend a self-etching primer on the spots that are bare frame.

for brushes, I’ve had good luck using cheap toilet brushes and assorted bottle-brushes from the dollar store lol.

Yeah, i may just spot prime the frame where I have exposed bare metal, prep the surface one more time, and hit it with 2 coats of this enamel. Good call on self etching. I will look to see what the can recommends as well, when I get to that point.