MazdaSpeed 6 input

i am hopefully getting a “promotion” at my job soon and i want to get a new car when i do. i really like the mazdaspeed 6 but i just wanted input from u guys like whats the good and the bad about the car along with other things

i love mine. its very comfortable, and has great DD pickup-and-go power. all around a really fun car to drive too.

Has handling that surpasses the regular 6, has an AWD system, HIDs, and the turbo 274HP engine.

I have an 06, and I recommend you go for an 07 due to it not being the 1st year it came out. My 06 is getting its clutch and pedal replaced due to a poor design, with a TSB by mazda… but, the 07 clutch feels perfect. It’s my only complaint, soon to be fixed.

I had a regular 6 before this as well, for 60k miles. Hands down, I’m glad with my decision.

I have the Sport version, cause I didnt like my mazda leather. But, I now miss my sunroof on hot/sunny days with the girlfriend in the car always wanting the windows up. I also semi-miss my heated seats in winter.

If you’re gonna get one, get the GT version cause it comes with leather and sunroof. That’s the main differences…

go check out mazda6club.com if you’re interested as well. they have a mazdaspeed section.

Also, PM me if you have specific questions you’re trying to get answered :slight_smile:

Pushes too hard in hard cornering, albeit for the more docile driver it’s very neutral and safe.

Primarily FWD and it shows (can’t really powerslide a FWD biased AWD system).

Other than that, for a very fun daily, it seems great.

:tup:

just curious though, on average what can one expect to pay for such a vehicle?

its like 28,000ish

the awd system is barely “primarily fwd”, in fact the rear diff is always working, accel, decel, turning. More like fwd biased, in the fact that it will send “up to” 50% of the power to the rear diff.

overall I’m pretty happy with my speed6, had it for about 9 months.

Like Badly said, it had nice power, of course i want more but for a stock car it’s pretty quick.

The awd works nice. I did alot of comparison to fwd. One way to see the difference between the awd and it’s fwd counterpart is to simply raise the e-brake one click, which disengages the rear diff completely. You can feel the difference in accel of course, wheelspin city with the awd off. You can feel the difference when bending a curve, with the awd working you can really feel it pushing from the rear. And during decel downshifting, if the awd if off you can definitley feel the front squat alot more.

The dsc (dynamic stability blah blah) works pretty good, it will shunt you fast in dry conditions. But in snow, it will let you fish the back end out quite far before it kicks in with brakes and less gas.

With the dsc off, you have to watch the traction going arond turns because it will kick the back end around. I’ll take that any day instead of understeer though.

The car will oversteer at any speed under about 60, over that speed, the weight really becomes apparent, and the front will push like Daddy says. Still pretty recoverable at any speed though as I found out a few days ago. You push out with the front, then apply a little brake to get the speed down and the car will rotate a little, pointing you in a good position to exit. Pretty neutral overall.

The only 2 versions are the sport and the gt. Sport is the base model, gt adds leather and a sunroof, and advanced keyless. I got the sport version, didn’t like the leather in my tester, and I don’t like sunroofs anymore either. The only other option is navigation for like $2k.

It has some cool little features. The switchblade type key is cool. You can roll the windows down with the key fob, but not back up. You can insert the key in the door to roll the windows up. All 4 windows are auto up/down with that pinch protection. 6 disk changer in the dash. Adjustable headlight aiming. Joint box :slight_smile:

Of course it’s great in the winter. But you have to either get some all season tires, or dedicated wheel/tires for the winter. The stock tires are like hockey pucks when the temp goes below freezing. I got some 17" oem mazda 6 wheels (smallest that will fit due to the 13" brakes), and blizzak tires, for about $600, used.

Gripes, gas mileage = about 15 city for me. Mid to high 20’s highway. Power, who doesn’t want more. $10k would make this car real quick.

At first I hated the clutch, it felt like there was a change in pressure to the pedal right where the clutch would engage. Fugg that I adjusted the whole pedal lower, to the actual spec thay have in the technical manual. It feels like every other clutch now.

Liek Badly said there is a TSB out now for certain batches of the car. They replace the entire clutch everything, from the clutch and pressure plate to the pedal and spring. I’m on the fnece about wether I’m goin to get this done. Probably will wait for CleanBadly to get it done and hopefully check his out. Hey, new clutch.

Mazda has to get their map right also, it runs PIG rich. There is also a problem with the throttle plate refusing to ever open above 75%, and some other issues I haven’t ran into personally.

Like I said I’m pretty happy with the car. I leased this one, the msrp was about $29k, with incentives I saved like $5k off that. I was also looking at the legacy gt, but I couldn’t even get as good of a deal on a wrx as I did on this car. I pay about $330 for a 2 year lease and then my buyout is like $18k. I don’t know if I’m going to keep it past the buyout or not. But I might.

Cheers, good luck and go for a test drive.

here’s some reviews:

motor week: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4162258704673899562&q=mazdaspeed6&total=236&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

top gear:

part1: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7580212520523500619&q=mazdaspeed+6+top+gear&total=4&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

part 2: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=463113354195394908&q=mazdaspeed+6+top+gear&total=4&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Pretty good video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1794708420124625579&q=mazdaspeed6&total=235&start=20&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

I drove one and hated it really…

it quickly makes you understand how much better the STi and EVO really are.

also makes you understand why they sit on the dealer lots and sell for as low as 22K.

it’s not the worst car in the world, it’s just as good as it could have been.

I’d take a mazdaspeed3 over it anyday if you’re a mazda fanboy.

for the price, u can get a much better car, ie: evo, sti,
i like the legacy gt for that price range as well

MS6 is a completely different car than the STi or Evo…

STi and EVO are racers. MS6 is more of a sporty, quick, AWD sedan with a nice interior.

Comparing the LGT and the MS6 is a much better comparison.

The only other car I was looking at was the leg gt. The legacy gt seemed to have a little more pull, but turning the on and off ramps, it felt like the chassis was comming off the wheels compared to the ms6. I didn’t get to drive one of the leg gt spec b.'s, but that one was out of my price range anyways.

Overall, even if there was no rebates and the car was $29k, I would have still chosen it over the leg gt i think.

Speed3 > Speed6.

Meh, no AWD or RWD, no care.

lol. I’m pretty sure the Speed3 is slightly more agile then the Speed6.

Of course it is. It’s a smaller size, and a great platform for sure.

But for the pleasure of driving, I’d rather have AWD or RWD.

All around Speed3 is a better car then the Speed6 and its cheaper.

i fuggin hate a hatch back almost as much as I hate fwd. Now if the speed3 was an awd sedan, and a little bigger, oh wait thats a speed6.

if it retails for 28, why not just got evo or sti?

because the retail doesn’t mean anything on a car that doesn’t sell… dealers are giving them away… 22K or less is some cases.

and the AWD system on this car is more of a burden then a help.

When I drove one it had A/C on and four people in the car… it was a total dog getting off the line… I’d rather have a regular V6 model so I can cruise and not have to beat on it just to get moving.