McCain proposes suspending US gasoline taxes this summer

:bigclap:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080415/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_economy

I like the outside-the-box thinking but it does not address the issue at hand. I can deal with band-aid solutions as long as there is a solid solution on the winds. How does McCain plan to fund the government when he’s cutting taxes and paying for the war in Iraq.

^ hopefully by cutting social spending

I’d like to see the social programs spending vs the billions for the war in Iraq. I am all for cutting useless programs that encourage lazy behavior but why not do both.

believe it or not there legit people that rely on welfare. I dont think they should cut any of this money, they should however police the system much better.

couldn’t agree more

however, I feel that cutting out of Iraq would do more harm than good at this point. Maybe that’s not the case, but we went in and fucked them up… the least we can do is make sure they’re able to get back on their feet before running. Just doesn’t seem like the right thing to do.

Right. Cuz, you know, we don’t need the money. We’ll just borrow more from China.

:tinfoilhat:

how about cutting certain programs that are just rediculous in nature…such as something like this:

A polygamist’s additional wives are legally considered single mothers, receiving welfare from the state that funds the community. Hattie Kauffman reports and interviews a woman who escaped.

Fed tax per gallon: $0.184 found here
Gallon per day (US): 868,854,000 consumed June 2007

$159,869,130 per day.

How the fuck does he propose to replace $160 million dollars PER DAY of revenue?

$15,667,174,740 from memorial day to labor day… using last years consumption figures.

:awdrifter:

I want to add my own personal tax of .0001/gal of gas. That would make me a happy man, and no one would ever notice!

Fry: Banish McCain, wouldyah?

Side note: I was a little surprised to see that we used almost a billion gallons a day. wow.

That like 58,000,000 15gal fillups everyday.

:eek:

You mean Jay?

lol sure, as soon as I’m moderator of the world. Muahahahaha!

:lol:

Wait, you mean the internetz don’t extend into the real world…

Fuck.

future unkept promise

Man, thats pretty greedy of you… I’d be happy with a mere .000001.

$316,820/year, and no one would ever notice!

that never happens with politicians… pffft… Bitterman.

Well, we just spent 168 something billion on that economic stimulus package so by comparision 15.6 billion is a deal if it provides any real relief. The bigger question is how much relief does .18/gal really provide.

If you drive 6000 miles over the summer @ 18 mpg @ $4/gal you spend $1333.33. @ 3.82/gal you spend 1273.33, a savings of $60.

Seems like a lot of money to spend to save people $60 in gas.

But lets all be honest here for a minute… this will never happen. It’s an election year, she sheeple want to see politicians doing something to curb gas prices. Since gas prices are not a problem politicians have much control over they propose ideas that will never happen to get votes. McCain will get a bump in the polls from this even if the idea is quickly abandoned. Gas prices are high because the dollar is low. The dollar is low because of the housing/economy mess which will turn around. Once that happens the dollar will go back up, oil will go down to sustainable levels of 70-80/barrel, and gas will follow.

I can’t wait to see Hillary and Obama’s “ideas” next, because you know they’re coming.

Yes, exactly.

I didn’t want to put the whole though process into one post, it would lose most NYSpeeders inteh numbers. :slight_smile:

But back on point - Go talk to Your boy, Jay.

hes saying it but do u honestly think it will happen?