Mercedes Magic Vision Control

… Coming on new models… Laser cut wiper blades that squirt heated blue joose in multiple directions depending on the movement of the blade? Most expensive wiper blades ever?

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/429897/2013-mercedes-benz-sl-class-magic-vision-control-photo-430015-s-1280x782.jpg

http://cdn0.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/2012-Mercedes-Benz-SL-Class-6.jpg

Just another bit of over-engineering from the Germans… Cool idea, but just another expensive accessory to replace.

Only the best from the best.

Is anyone else amazed it took this long to develop this system? Seems so intuitive. It’ll be commonplace in the next 5-7 years.

I agree 100%. Basic wipers cost a few bucks on a regular car. These are gonna be ridiculous.

GM tried a shit version of this idea with Cavaliers and I think some other models. The wiper fluid is just routed along the wiper arm and squirts from there. It was actually worst than the traditional method.

I could see the wiper blades lasting infinitely longer with some sort of lubrication on the windshield.

Also: if you buy a mercedes you likely do not give a shit about the difference of $5-$100.

this was an idea i had about 10 years ago and documented in one of my engineering classes… so for me, it’s been simple and long awaited. If done right, the “technology” should be in the arm blade system, not the blade system itself. Diverting the fluid from one side of the blade to the other should be as simple as a small ball valve…but i’m sure they found a way to make it complicated.

I also assume they are heated somehow…otherwise it’s likely these wont work well in the cold.

I always wondered why these weren’t already available, seemed like it would be widely available. Only thing that may keep it from the mainstream market is the cost of replacement.

The bolded statement is just complete BS. Just because you purchase a luxury automobile doesn’t mean that you are OK with pissing money away. It’s not as if they are expensive to the point that only the top 1% can afford them.

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Infiniti G35 has the squirter mounted to the wiper arm.

it wasn’t just the concept of mounting a squirter to the arm… but it being directional based on wiper direction, primarily for visabilty reasons, but also extending wiper life and increaseing the fluid coverage to get the entire sweep area.

My bmw and audi blades/squirters are more than fine for me as they are. Nothing else more needed. The blades are great and last a decent amount of time, the rain sensor works well too.

Yea this is really over complicating things my G8 has it routed up arm and it sprays ahead of wiper blade.

dude, GM has a hard time making their wipers swing, let alone coplicating them further.

I’d be ok with it if it only sprayed from one side when its traveling in that direction… but both is neat too. Now when will Saab but dual squirting wipers on their headlights?

Part of me thinks this seems like a good idea and could see it extending the longevity of wiper blades. The other part of me thinks it’s just another part that’s going to break and need repairing.

I could probably buy alot of conventional wiper blades for the cost of fixing this system even one time.

I can’t wait till people go to delta sonic or valvoline for an inspection and they have to replace them, “you’re gonna need new wipers, they streak which fails nys inspection, that’ll be $467.00” LOLOL

People with very little to no money will not appreciate this.

People think that the mpg on rv’s are outrageous and that the who buy them must hate it. They actually don’t at all. They are buying it because they like it and want it, not for the mpg’s.

Same thing is applied here. Someone who’s going to buy this is not buying it because if the wipers and they generally aren’t going to let the maintenance factor stop them.

Funny how a person comes up with something, doesn’t produce it and then said “thing” appears on the market some years later. I designed a small pneumatic hammer that would have worked better than the craftsman battery powered version and be powered by c02 cartriges. Fast forward 15 years and craftsman makes a battery powered one that looks almost identical to what I designed.

But back to the point. Cool idea though slightly over complicated. And ya GM did have something like this on some of their late80’s to mid 90’s vehicles. As long as ice didn’t knock the nozzle off of the wiper arm the system actually worked pretty welll.

my girlfriend’s 95 Lumina squirts from the blades…it’s a good idea but it’s a complicated solution to a simple problem