Merry Christmas Me v.Subaru Built Motors

[quote=“newman,post:20,topic:40149"”]

so ultimately you want to be a young kid with a 80,000 dollar car that is barely streetable?

SWEET!

[/quote]

If I did want that and had the means to afford it I dont see why that would be a problem, unfortunantly I dont have the means to afford it.

[quote=“MOBOOST4U,post:12,topic:40149"”]

Its kinda this ongoing project in my head. I never want to sell the car. Just keep building it more and more. If there is anything I can replace, I want to as money comes my way (which I hope will be a lot more as soon as I am out of school but I do ok for myself for now lol). I set myself little short term yearly goals I would like to reach with the car (this year its just running a reliable 26 psi, maybe a 50 shot to help with lag, and hit low 11’s. Next year (2009) if all goes to plans it will be suspension and stopping, maybe with a side of body, but that is all too far away in the future for me to tell.

I feel, just like any subaru owner, that the car is such a great base for any kind of motorsport you want to throw at it (even drifting lmao) and for that reason I just want to stick with it and pray someday, in the far future, it will be the most badass all around track car ever.

This year though, im just gonna try to stick with keeping it running lol.

[/quote]

Those are the key words…

This is not something that will happen when im “young kid,” When im in my career however, maybe.

i feel like a track ready car with a 45r is probably more then 99% or people on here can handle tracking a car. I mean, newman has a 35r and from what I understand, is damn fast. I doubt that many people will ever be able to push it to the limit on the track.

congrats… maybe ill get to drive it this time? or atleast watch it break out of 13’s <3 hahaha… i kid

it’s not my business to get into the details of your life, but realistically, last summer your GF was driving you to work because the only car you had was an STi that you blew up because you left a hose clamp in the up-pipe?

seems like you might be going too big, too soon…

[quote=“boardjnky4,post:22,topic:40149"”]

i feel like a track ready car with a 45r is probably more then 99% or people on here can handle tracking a car. I mean, newman has a 35r and from what I understand, is damn fast. I doubt that many people will ever be able to push it to the limit on the track.

[/quote]

Well obviously a 45r is painfully inefficient for time attack/autox, and some day I will have to chose what the car will be geared for but like I said, this is allin the distant fufture. So many things can happen untill I wll be able to afford a 45r setup.For now im fine with my 35r but I may even trade down for a 30r depending on how I feel at the end of winter. The lag on the 35 really is a bum feeling untill you hit your 1500rpm powerband. It will probably be a choice between that or a 50 shot

[quote=“MOBOOST4U”"]

So after evaluating all my options I have finally came to my decision as to what will spin my 35r this year (and hopefully the next few, fingers crossed)

I really wanted to just build the ej25 that I already have but my long term goal has a 42r or 45r in it so I have to account for the motor I will need for that. This is what that orignal motor I have will go to.

Only few decisions I have left is what to do with the head and what to do about labor.

Im probably purchasing friday!

[/quote]

Buddy…no way that engine is taking a 42R or 45R. It would take it at low boost, but there’s no point in switching from a 35R to something that huge if you’re not going to really use it. The stock sleeves and semi closed deck design aren’t up to 35+ psi and that kind of cylinder pressure.

Stage 3 is good for the GT35R. I have a customer with a 42R using their stage 5 block that they do feel is up to it.

Also, you’ll have full boost from 4500-8000. That’s a 3500 rpm powerband which is really to stay inside on a road course. I only use 5500-7500 on the strip.

sweet built motor :tup:

Here is the deal in 4 years your going to want a totally different car…if anything right now mild build your stock motor use ur 35r and enjoy the car…we all want to go fast…and if yuo even keep the car long enought to do all your crazy plans then do the whole motor…because their maybe somethign better for you when the time comes…and thats all if you dont want to get out of your which will be 10yr old if not older car when the time comes

Hey willy I hit 12s azz, I should have been hitting 11s tho lmao

[quote=“newman,post:24,topic:40149"”]

it’s not my business to get into the details of your life, but realistically, last summer your GF was driving you to work because the only car you had was an STi that you blew up because you left a hose clamp in the up-pipe?

seems like you might be going too big, too soon…

[/quote]

I get your point, but what do I do then, pay almost the same price and just rebuild my current motor (which in labor will be around the same since thats something I would absolutely done professionally?

“My girl” tended to exaggerate and drove me around for maybe a week collectively and now I have a very reliable 1994 hyundai elantra lol (56000 miles, cant go wrong).

I had nothing to do with the hose clamp other than trusting people to touch my car other than who should have (I got what I payed for… or dint pay for) But shit happens and it alway will ya know.

I get the point your getting at but when I say things like “I dont have the money” I mean within my budget of what im letting myself spend for the year. If there is one thing I know (other than destroying subarus) its how to bank money and like I said,im still young and learning.

The biggest thing I can tell is to max out the GT35R before you even consider going to a 42R because it’s going to cost tens of thousands of dollars for the supporting mods to make that change worthwhile and you have at least ten thousand to go on the 35R before it’s maxed. That doesn’t include the seasonal engine rebuilds, race car maintenance schedule, and lots of broken parts.

Maxing the 35R will give you an idea of how the money you spend goes up exponentially when you get to a certain point.

ive been to axis’s shop and met the owner with disalvo when we went down to pick up his car… the guy knows his subaru motors

even the 35R sucks on pump gas, it really needs more octane to shine (do you really have the budget for $200+ in gas per track day?)
I would scale back and put a green on the stock block with a good tune… then come to dunnville and play - I suspect you’ll find that more power is the least of your problems. I’m only 300whp and my next $2000-$5000 in mods will probably be all suspension toys and diffs.) I certainly don’t need any more power for now.

[quote=“Inn-Tune,post:26,topic:40149"”]

Buddy…no way that engine is taking a 42R or 45R. It would take it at low boost, but there’s no point in switching from a 35R to something that huge if you’re not going to really use it. The stock sleeves and semi closed deck design aren’t up to 35+ psi and that kind of cylinder pressure.

[/quote]

You misunderstood…

That is why im keeping the stock block,and that will be built later down the road to be able to harness the power of a 45r eventually.

Obviously there is no way I would try to put over 28lbs of boost past that stage 3 block. Correct me if im wrong but this stage 3 block is just perfect for a 35r mike?

[quote=“MOBOOST4U,post:33,topic:40149"”]

You misunderstood…

That is why im keeping the stock block,and that will be built later down the road to be able to harness the power of a 45r eventually.

Obviously there is no way I would try to put over 28lbs of boost past that stage 3 block. Correct me if im wrong but this stage 3 block is just perfect for a 35r mike?

[/quote]

28 psi on a 35R is fine on stock when a car is well sorted and you have the right fuel. 35 psi is fine on that stage 3 setup with the right supporting mods and octane.

Last time the car was lacking the sorting and fuel rails. We sorted out some of the oddest install errors I’ve seen, but only the ones we ran across during the other work we were doing. I hope before you drive the car the whole engine bay is gone through because I’m sure there are more problems lurking from the original installs.

BTW…Ron at Axis’ warranty doesn’t apply to cars with Hydra EMS and I’m really seeing why after several recent instances. Just a heads up…

Thanks Mike, I dint know it could take 35psi no matter the fuel. Thats amazing to me. Like I said,I would love for you to do the job of putting the motor in but this time around, if I cant afford it that is, I feel I have the right people/resources to get it done right.

I understand you dont want to clean up another headache of what was my car last year but unless you can work out a credit line I just may have to rough it ;-),

[quote=“MOBOOST4U,post:35,topic:40149"”]

Thanks Mike, I dint know it could take 35psi no matter the fuel. Thats amazing to me. Like I said,I would love for you to do the job of putting the motor in but this time around, if I cant afford it that is, I feel I have the right people/resources to get it done right.

I understand you dont want to clean up another headache of what was my car last year but unless you can work out a credit line I just may have to rough it ;-),

[/quote]

I think you misunderstood what I said about the fuel. I said you need to have the right octane to run 35 psi…something like VP C16 for instance. I wouldn’t do it on 93 with water/meth.

If you can’t afford to do it right, don’t do it. That WAS the lesson learned the first time around. :wink:

I can’t wait to see this when it comes in.

[quote=“Inn-Tune,post:36,topic:40149"”]

I think you misunderstood what I said about the fuel. I said you need to have the right octane to run 35 psi…something like VP C16 for instance. I wouldn’t do it on 93 with water/meth.

If you can’t afford to do it right, don’t do it. That WAS the lesson learned the first time around. :wink:

[/quote]

No I got you the first time, I may be automotive tech illiterate to a point but I understand that thats suicide to almost any subaru block to run 35psi on a 35r with pump gas. I would love the idea of c16, but again, obviously cost is a huge issue.

And as far as doing it right the first time I was told that there is a chance that I could fuck this up big time, and it was a risk I was willing to take to reach a goal I wanted. This time around I have been ensured that “my new guy(s)” are up to the task. Dont get me wrong, I want you to do this job and ill try to make it happen but my other alternative seems more than compitant to handle the job and if I do fuck up again obviously you dont have to touchit (as thats not your business, and probably the worst part of your job)
One thing is for sure and that is that this car will not sit idle all season so in my eyes I have to try and I think I have the right formula…

I know ill never hear the end about it,im too young, stupid, immature, yada yada. But this is what I feel I have to do and hopefully it will work out.

Nothing more I can say I guess, Ill just bite my tounge and pray I can rape voltron come summer jkjk.

But in all seriousness, I want to do this right.

How do you feel about the 50shot just to help it into boost? Ron at axxis says it can take it but how do you feel?

C16 FTW!

Honestly it’s a lot of weight and complication that I wouldn’t bother with if you’re only using it for spoolup. The block can definitely take it.

There’s a whole lot of stuff I’d be buying before a nitrous kit if I was you.