Miata Peoples

Ive been thinking about depowering my rack for a while. But Im worried as a DD I will hate it. Any of you out there depowered? Id love to go for a drive first to see what its like before I make a decision.

couldnt you loop them with a fitting, throw on a shorter acc belt, drive it a while, decide?

Thats how alot of people do it, but Id have to cut the metal lines in order to loop them. So if I didnt like it I would have to replace the lines, and Im a cheap/poor bastard.

No PS here. You could take mine for a spin if you wanted.

I dont really mind it but I also haven’t driven mine much at all.

Loop them at the pump… throw plugs / caps on the pump fittings ( < $5 ) :dunno:

I would love that, I should be getting mine back from storage in a few days. I cant wait!

I didnt think of that… Thanks.

Im hella busy and the car isn’t registered as of yet but just shoot me a pm and you can come out and take it around my block a bunch of times if you want.

Just curious, Why would you want to do this?

Better steering feel. The car is very light so PS isnt really needed.

In the rx7 community that question is brought up a lot. And the two cars are very similiar. I guess these things are usually what’s considered:

1.) is this car mostly highway driven (speeds over 50mph?)
2.)do you autocross?
3.)do you roadrace?
4.)removing it for weight/clutter in engine bay?
5.) stock steering wheel?

Then how to decide:
1.)improves highway feel x100
2.)extremely hard to handle at autox without PS (lower speeds, more turns)
3.)improves roadracing feel (higher speeds)
4.)removing the ABS clears up more weight and clutter than removing PS
5.) I don’t know what year your miata is but an aftermarket wheel will make a big difference if you do remove PS

1.) is this car mostly highway driven (speeds over 50mph?)
2.)do you autocross?
3.)do you roadrace?
4.)removing it for weight/clutter in engine bay?
5.) stock steering wheel?

1.) Id say its an even % between above 50 and below.
2.) Nope.
3.) Nope, but Id like to.
4.) Anything that makes my engine bay look better is a plus.
5.) Looking to replace the stock wheel. Have the original (1990) and its alittle beaten up.

I’d do it then. Get a new wheel… THEN remove PS. :wink:

If you’re around here, Swerve can get you a good deal on momo stuff.

Around here as in? Im in the Falls. Swerve where you at?

Edit: Searched Swerve, went to the website, searched. The only piece they have for sale specific to my car is a hub. Which Im sure any momo wheel would fit.

i swapped to non-power rack in my '96 miata (my '94 miata still has it) jumping from car to car you feel it but its not a big deal. just turn the wheel when the cars rolling and your fine

oh hi.

I depowered my powered rack…It was ok.
Close to being too stiff but I liked it. Looping the lines would have helped.

Do it this way.
http://flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php?x=1

I was planning something temp until I was sure how I felt about it. Then I would prolly order one of the kits.

Sorry, what I meant was he’s a momo distributor and gives all NYSpeeders 5% off + free shipping, just because it’s not on his site doesn’t mean he can’t get it.

Let us know how it turns out!

you have to loop your rack or it will fuck shit up

the poor honda ppl just remove it and dont even loop it usually, big no no

i like no power steering a lot better than power steering, especially on a lowered car

and yeah go to swerve, or just give the shop a call n talk to pauly!

Not a kit. Just a guide on how to rip the seals out.

Why not?

How did you depower the miata? I want to know what you did so I can plan my game plan

:slight_smile: