Mixing old *unstable* gas with new gas

Hello,

Well I’ve finally come to a time where I would like to fire up my Datsun 200SX, but it won’t start. The car was running “fine” when I parked it two years ago and put a cover over it, but now it just cranks and doesn’t want to fire.

The injectors are getting Fuel, and I haven’t checked yet but I’m pretty sure there’s spark. I’m almost certain the gas is just unstable.

I left the car below the empty mark when I parked it, so there’s a tiny amount of fuel to become unstable.
I am going to put in a jerry can of new gas, but do you guys think I can mix the old unstable gas with the new, or do I have to drain the tank?

Thanks,

Patrick

Just put in new gas. I go through this problem every year trying to start up my boat engine at the beginning of the season. Old gas becomes as little sludgy and clogs up a bit of the lines. Poor in some fresh gas and it’ll fire right up unless theres something else wrong.

J.

soo true on the boat engines…but usually its only 2 cycle that will gum.
try a few drops of oil in each cylinder to help the rings out a bit.
have you tried quickstart spray?

if that does’t work try to put the new gas in and purge whats in the lines.
this will work…

also check to see that your plugs are clean…
if it is a distributor system you may need to retard the timing if its a really tough start.
after an hour or so of running you can put the timing back.

syphen out the old gas

disconnect the fluel lines from the engine and suck out whats in the lines

put new gas in

oh, and changing the fuel filter prolly wouldnt hurt

I disconnected the hose from the fuel filter into the injector rail and I ran the electric fuel pump until the tank was dry.
Then I connected it and put in $10 of fresh regular fuel.

Started cranking and for about 15 seconds it seemed like it was running on 1 cylinder, then the idle bumped up and it was just like I remembered it. mmmmmmmmmm

This all means I’m one step closer to my TT swap. Time to make an official TT countdown thread.

Thanks guys