More news/proof that people are leaving NY

Dude, liberalism is about changing with the times. The very nature of conservatism is to keep things the same way they are. You don’t make any sense.

Indeed. Yet this state has been run by liberal democrats since it began. The major problem is they love the social programs because it keeps people dependant on the government, which in turn keeps them in power. We need to reform our welfare system for 1, that is a major problem. The taxes are way to high for the amount not being done. I am not against social programs by any means, so let me further elaborate. Under the current welfare systm, if you are on welfare you are totaly dependant on govt money. you can not go out and get a job because then you lose all benifits. What they should do instead of handing out money is do job training. teach the people a skill that they can use to get a decent job that pays well enough to support themselves. Then as they work, do not cut them off completely, only give them a portion of what was given before. that way they are more independant, paying into taxes, and taking less money that can be more wisly used to help others with differant problems. Alot of poeple really want to work. If we could just even start with this it would make such a huge differance. if we can save 50 a month from these families we are talking millions in savings. Unfortunatly the way NYS is…this will never happen.

Also…STOP raising minimum wage so much! it directly influances inflation and that is why everything is so god damned expensive. If I own a store and I pay my workers $6 and hr to stock the shelves, and now I have to pay them $7, where does that money come from? YOU! the consumer. A minimum wage job is not meant to support a family. it is like your first car, it should be a piece of shit that you hate so you can say “wow this sucks, I am going to do better and work and make something of myself”. Not start afamily and try to raise them while you flip burgers because you smoked too much pot and didint go to school.

I’m outtie …

moving to Florida in Jan

You came from Mpls and u love Blo? uggggh The only downside to Mpls is the housing market is crazay expensive. It is waaay colder, but it doesn’t snow as much as it does here.

Well, you are living in EA, which has some of the worst real estate taxes around… Move to buffalo if you want low real estate taxes.

The grass is always greener on the other side right? I am one of those people that left and came back. and that experience has reminded me of the gold mine this area provides for its citezens. I am actually surprised so many auto enthusiasts would want to leave our traffic free region for the mass congestion just about every other region deals with. How many places you think are out there that provide 5 bdrm homes for less money than a private schools bachelors degree or upscale SUV? The area provides enough entertainment to rival any other big city, yet alot of the activities cost you nothing. And one of the biggest differences ive noticed…the people in this neighborhood are more like one big familiy rather than just people living next to each other. I truly know my neighbors and their families like they were my own, and we hang out and lean on each other like real families do. your not gunna find this openess in any other populous area other than maybe in canada and europe.

yes i will agree with you all about the common gripes. the govt and taxes are a joke. the city itself is rotting away. there are too many people reliant on the generous social services we all pay for ect. but i think this all has more to do with the talented youths like yourselves leaving than it does with high taxes and poor planning. the cost of running a buisness here really isnt all that much different than most other regions. but why would a company take on the risk of building an operation if there isnt any talented workers to hire?

either way I love the fact i can live like a king on my measly income. so unless I somehow lose that income im not going anywhere.

My Aunt sold her house in Florida for $425,000 and she was paying $800/year in taxes.
Buffalo can’t even come close to that.
The reason EA is higher is because the home values are higher.
I am sure I could live in some shithole neighborhood in Buffalo and save money but I am really not interested in that.

:lol: at thinking nice houses in the city are in shithole neighborhood

I am saying to save money on taxes you would have to move to one of the many shithole neighborhoods.
I never said nice houses are in shithole neighborhoods.
A $400,000 house in Buffalo is going to have high taxes.
There is a $449,000 house on Middlesex for sale right now and the taxes are OVER $10,000.
EA does not have higher taxes than buffalo.
$449,000 in EA would be about $6,500 in taxes.
Either way NY is one of the highest in the country.

Edit: On top of the extra $4000 in taxes I would have to send my daughter to private school($7,000?) because Buffalo schools ARE THE WORST.
I will stay in EA.:wink:

i will be gone within the year…gonna move to a.z. then hopefully migrate to san diego.

considering the entire city is a shothole…it makes sense to me :gotme:.

You do know that city honors scores the highest in, oh i dont know, every single comparison, right?
If she can hack it and get in there.

Great thread here. So sad to see so many people go, but I am one of them as well.

I was just talking with a group of my friends who i graduated college with-- They are all killing themselves to get a job that pays 11-12 dollars an hour. I am one of them.

If i did not run a semi lucrative internet business I would be totally broke, and driving a pos dodge omni.

I do not have any healthcare whatsoever. I have worked in several entry it jobs, and it has always been 100 percent at my cost.

Even though I hate the winter, buffalo is a good place to be. The suburb communities really have a sense of family. Housing is dirt cheap here. If I went anywhere else would I have a 900 sq foot apartment smack dab in the middle of suburbia for 435 bucks a month? I think not.

Half of my friends have gone elsewhere. My countdown is at 10 months. My girlfriend is going to a masters program in Phoenix, and I am going with her.

Albany will continue to suck every ounce of life out of the city, and nothing will change. Business as usual. The news stations will yell about it every day, and nothing will change. Thats buffalo for you.

Never said I love Buffalo or that it was better than Minneapolis…reread what I wrote. I ended up here simply because of my job. The salary, benefits, and abiltiy to buy a house at 24 were pretty key in my decision. I could have done what many of my classmates did and go live in the ‘cool’ cities (Boston, NY, Chicago…) and make the same amount of money and hate nothing to show for except living in a shithole appartment away from the best part about the city…downtown. After being here for a few years now I’ve grown to like the area and question why everyone here hates it…my quality of life is much better than my classmates, despite living in a ‘lesser’ city.

The housing in Minneapolis is growing, but so it the city. Traffic is retarded and all the trash from the inner cities are filtering to the suburbs…and bringing their dirty laundry with them. Also, the past few years Buff had shit for snow, while it was colder in MN the snowmobiling was muucccchh better than it was here;)

I feel ya, Maple Grove is BLOWING up. The more trash moves in the farther everyone moves out. I remember when Crooklyn Park was nice, it’s a shithole now. My only gripe with Mpls is the housing and rental market. There are an abundance of jobs, and I think a lot more nice things to do. I am glad you like it here. You are right traffic blows. I never liked those stoplight onramps. I am in St Louis Park, but will be movin to Bloomington, so as long as I stay off of 169 and 35W for work I am happy. If they xpand the train system their hopefully traffic will get better.

Overall it’s a nicer place to live, besides those few gripes.

ORLY? I beg to differ…but whatever you think buddy…where do you live akron? :lol:

Same old same old, people leaving NY…
http://www.bcnys.org/whatsnew/2008/0103unitedvanlines.htm

And what is Spitzers answer to the problem?..
Hiring 2,000 new full-time faculty members for SUNY and CUNY, including “eminent scholars” whose research would attract world-wide attention and funding.
Add 2000 people to the payroll! Brilliant!

while people may be leaving new york state, it isnt necessarily true to assume that the wny population is also shrinking. if i recall correctly, the pace at which people have left this area was at an all time low last year, and probably continues to trend in a good direction this year.

we have seen more construction downtown in the last 3 years than we have in the last 30 years combined. there are more young people moving into the city, more mid-high level housing being built, and more residential support small businesses opening.

for people that think buffalo is still economically at rock bottom, its time to open your eyes and look at some of the key indicators of economic growth. while the rest of the country enjoyed economic prosperity and a real estate boom after the recession in 2001, wny was buffered from that. and similarly with the subprime mortgage crisis now, and impending recession that will hit the rest of the country, wny will not feel nearly close to the effects of this. in addition, with real estate being overpriced in nearly every urban area of the country BUT buffalo, former wny residents will more than likely seek to relocate back to buffalo. all indicators point to the best times for buffalo’s economy being right around the corner. there are a lot of ground breaking events planned in the city within the next 6-12months, and its a good time to be here.

it all starts with education. more SUNY faculty members = more SUNY students = less welfare bums and laborers that get laid off all winter

I’ll be out in 7 months.

Not because I don’t like the area, but my passion and career path takes me elsewhere. There are certainly a lot of things I will miss.