Most Reliable Engine

A good friend of mine, in the UK who works on alot of cars, exotics etc… etc… said that the ka24 series engines are amoung the best if not the best 4cyl engine for its reliability. Has anyone else heard of naything like this

every engine can be reliable, its just a matter of maintaining it, regular oil changes and tunes ups are the life line for your engine, as soon as you start swapping in performance parts, your reliability to go out the window

They are good engines if you take care of them as with anycar.

That wasn’t the question guys. Of course any engine runs well if you do the proper maintenance. Better yet, it’ll run better if you follow the manufacturer specs and not what the standard is, but it still doesn’t say anything.
If you run a Rotary engine versus a KA, you’ll do more maintenance to the Rotary, just to be able to get the same type of long lasting reliability as the KA.

gtprince I have heard this about the KA. It is one of the more reliable 4cylinder engines, mainly for the fact that it was originally built to be a work truck engine. It can handle most abuse assuming you stay within its performance limits and even if you do exceed it, the engine takes a while to destruct.
Let just say if you put a KA versus your typical Honda engine, then based the block construction alone the KA would win in reliability hands down.

most nissan engines are quite good. they are very well oiled and most have semi closed decks. hondas are fairly well oiled too, but they have open decks… i would never do a build on an open deck motor.

yes, both are very well oiled. I can’t stand most Honda engines though because of the open deck design. How can Honda claim strength with no support around the cylinders and open water jackets???

open deck design actually isnt that bad its reliable, as long as you dont do what most honda guys do and go chip ur ecu to rev to 9k with stock internals, and put a connector rod though the block or drop a valve, ive never had any problems with my civic only thing ive had to change on it was the head gasket, and the engine has 307,xxx clicks on it, still starts and runs beautiful every morning

a N/A 1.6 would need those kind of RPM’s to make power though, theres no other way, and when you do rev them, the walls move around and crack. but yeah, they are reliable if you dont modify them. i saw an acura once with 600k on it.

my KA runs nice and strong. i love it.
hope i can drive her soon again.

one of the down falls of a open deck design is you cant really abuse them to much, they tend to start burning oil prematurally, thats where the closed deck has its advantage, it can handle more abuse