motor specs

i know someone has posted this link before on here or 780tuners it has specs on nissan motors usdm and jdm ! like weigh?t hp? type of block

i haven’t been reading as much as i used too on 240sx.org etc so i need some info from those that have bben reading there are like what 5 different types of sr20det motors excluding the fwd sr20det’s.
so u have red top, blue top ,blacktop ,and s14 notch and s15 notch blacktops or something of that nature the latest i remamber reading.
anyway is it worth spending those extra 500-1500$ on a newer more powerfull sr such as s15 blacktop notch ! rather than getting a s13redtop and using s15 6 speed tranny while using extra money for other upgrades.
otherwise getting the 200-215 hp sr redtop instead of s15 250hp and upgrading the turbo ecu fuelpump and injectors to handle more boost. ?
considering that there isn’t labor cost since you will be doing all the work yourself.
any advise on that?

To me, getting an S15 motor, or trying to bolt on the 6-speed is just a novelty. I’ve never heard of someone mating up the 6-speed, can anyone supply more info on this? If you’re planning on upgrading items here and there for upping the boost and such, spending that extra money on the s15 motor is pointless, at least in my eyes. And the installation of the s15 by yourself may be a little more difficult, I’m not sure the reasons why, but thats what I’ve heard (drive shaft and such).

Redtop and black top (S13 or S14) is a difference of like what, 15hp? To me, not worth the money if you’re planning on upgrading anyway and replacing all that stuff.

CA18 is heavy

The S15 6-speed isn’t as strong as the S13/S14 plus the VSS is located in the rear diff, so you’d have to get the rear diff from the S15 (Which might have different suspension) or fabricate something on the driveshaft of the S13/S14 to make it work.

Anyone who is willing to undertake this swap should have a bottom-less bank account, and lots of fabrication/wiring experience.

Have Fun!
Cory.

since u can use ka tranny on redtop wouldn’t you be able to use ka tranny on s15 blacktop rather than 6 speed one?
also how is s13 blacktop vs redtop is it worth the extra few bux?
ca isn’t havier than sr but i might be wrong

CA is like 20 lbs heavier than an sr.

ka tranny does not line up with and SR. i beleive the internals are close to the same but the bell housing is different. last time i looked no one has bolted up a ka tranny to an SR.

some one correct me if i am wrong :?

Yeah, the KA tranny works, but the bell housing is different all together. You need to get the SR bell, then mate it to the KA tranny, then bolt it up.

^^correct!
so if any of u SR or CA guys blow your trannies keep the KA around for back-up

here are the weights of the engines i found on a 510 site. ignore the L series engines cause there from lthe 70`s.
A12 87 kg
A14/A15 93 kg
CA18DE 113 kg
CA16 113 kg
L16 113 kg
L18 118 kg
CA18ET 118 kg
CA18DET 128 kg
L18SSS 133 kg
L20B 137 kg
SR20DE 139 kg
FJ20E 144 kg
SR20DET 149 kg
FJ20ET 166 kg

so i guess the CA isnt that heavy compared to the sr…

Here are the differences on each SR20 engine. Two different engines were offered in the S13 cars for the SR’s. The red top’s were built from 1991-1993 using Farrett T25 turbo’s which produced about 205HP. Later S13’s built in 1994-1998 had the black top engines with the same T25 turbo rated at 205HP but are better for upgrades because their cylinder head design breathes better that the red top’s.The S14 SR20’s were first built from 1994-1998 using a bigger Garrett T28 turbo which was a hybrid using a T25 turbo, a T3 compressor, and ball bearings. These motors also recieved the Nissan variable valve timing on the intake cam which makes it more responsive in lower RPM’s. The cylinder heads’ were also changed from high-port heads to low-port heads which gives the engine better flow. These engines are rated for 220HP. The S15 SR20 was built from 1999-2001. They made improvments on the T28 turbo, higher boost levels, and bigger 444cc injectors brought the engine to 250HP for manual and about 225HP for automatic. Now about the S15 6-speed manual transmission is not a very strong player. The 6-speed can handle the stock HP but once you turn it up it’s gone to crap. It also uses a shorter driveshaft that the normal 5-speed engines so if you were wanting to go with the 6-speed you would need to swap that as well. Another downer to this tranny is that the speedometer sensor is in the differential as part of the ABS system and not in the transmission. So once again in order to swap this you would need to relocate the sensor. I know this is a lot of writing but I hope this helps somebody lol.

For some reason I heard that the Redtop was better for higher horsepower applications due to the better head flow design, which obviously contridicts your above comments. I’m not saying your wrong, just saying I’ve heard both stories. So why would all of the big power motors in the races cars and such use Redtops most of the time?

I think the redtop is a low port head, and the black top is the high port, but I get this mixed up all the time, so who knows. lol.

red top has the high port and blocks got the low port. the red top’s head design is the better one. ??? resist more detonation???

thats the facts out of SCC

Right, then I got them mixed up. My bad.

I’m pretty sure that I had got all the information right if not correct me please. Hopefully it helps Nismo decide on the SR he’s wanting. Heh so many choices.