Motorcycle Registration

Hello, just wondering if anyone knows if I can get insure and register a motorcycle in NY without have a motorcycle license or a permit.
With standard D license.
Thank you

Why would you if you don’t mind me asking? (not 100% sure but I believe you can) If you are going to go to the DMV to register is why would you not get a permit while you are there???

Yea, there is no requirements for registering it as far as I know, but the permit test takes so little time that you might as well do it while you are there rather than having to wait in line again. As far as the permit test goes, I didn’t look at a single book before taking mine and I think I got 1 question wrong on the whole test… lol.

Yeah I went in there blind as well, without studying.

Niskyspy - most riders I know don’t have true license, and you don’t need one to register.

I’m pretty sure you need one to insure but you just need a drivers license not necessarily M endorsement.

I am pretty sure you can insure your bike with just a permit, not sure if you don’t even have a permit. Call DMV/insurance and find out.

Why not just go ahead and get the license?

You need at least a permit to register a motorcycle in nys

I see nothing listed on their site about requiring a motorcycle permit to register a motorcycle. It only says that proof of identity and date of birth are required (non-license id card, etc). I am almost positive that anyone can register a vehicle whether they have a permit, license, whatever…

This is correct. As long as you have a NYS drivers ID of some sort you can register it.

Some insurance companies may require you to have a class DM license, but not all of them.

you need at least a permit to insure the bike.

Went to DMV today,
You just need a Driver License to register a bike, doesn’t have to an M one.

I believe the way it goes is you can’t insure it without having a license, and you can’t get plates without insurance.

Yes, but not all insurances require the motorcycle license to insure it. Its been a little while, but I don’t think I had my permit yet when I insured my R6. I’m almost positive that I insured it (to get the insurance documents), then went to DMV and registered the bike and took my permit test.

Where is our resident DMV expert when you need him?

Just have to be 16 and have proper ID and proof of insurance actually. Good luck insuring it with out a license though lol.

it looks like Geico needs M license, but Progressive doesn’t. The reason I was trying to figure it out is that I didn’t have time to get a license and I was looking at a bike yesterday. In case I bought it I wanted it registered so that one of my friends can ride it down to my place. The bike turned out to be kinda crappy so that plan is scrapped and I am getting my Permit next week and signed up for MSF in May.

I had progressive with my first bike and with just the permit.

Good call on MSF. :number1

PM NickAlero. He knows all about this shit.

not true, you dont need anything to insure or register it

To insure - depends on insurer: some do some don’t.

To register to own, you need nothing.

To register to put on the road, you need insurance - see above.

This guy.

:skid:skid:skid:skid:skid:skid:skid:skid:skid:skid