MR2 Spyder

I agree with Walt. Anyone intentionally buying Motegi’s, wrapping them in the CHEAPEST rubber they can find, on a car whose only + is it’s handling potential = No. Not even going to get into kits.

If you really have near that much money to spend on a car to leave at home while you’re in school (not financing…). There are eleventy billion cars out there that’d be better, cheaper, resell better…

yeah your right, the front definitely isnt a lip, but it looked like the sides were to me, but maybe not. i didnt really catch that, but i would still rather see it in person to judge it, because the other side seems to fit pretty flush, as does the rear. there is no way to say if it is fiberglass for sure or not. and i see a lot of cars with motegis, it could have been some teen or even an older person, who some them at a pepboys nearby and thought they looked good. you never know. if i can get it for the deal that i want, then i might end up taking it. which is either an even trade or $10k. like i said, if not then im not going to make a big deal about it, and i will walk.

i would much rather have a manual prelude, or even a higher mileage s2000, but i cant find an s2000 around here in my price range, and a manual prelude with decent mileage is just about impossible to find. if you guys find anything, then let me know haha. thanks for the input everyone

I wouldn’t be quite that harsh about that… It could be the angle that pic was taken at to give it an illusion of fitting crappy in that spot. And, I’ve seen a LOT worse than that…

One thing I would point out is the horrible offset of those Motegi’s for the car.

mr-s engine goes kaboom.
be willing to risk having no car…although dealer will take care if it, it’s time consuming. . .

^ ive done a lot of reading, and people say as long as you remove the precats before they go bad, then your engine will be fine. slowly they deteriorate and pieces get into the engine, which causes it to seize. if i look at that car, i just need to make sure the precats are still intact, if not already removed.

anyone around here have one that i could talk to or even go take a look at it?

I replaced a motor in one for a friend. Man, what a b!tch of a job.

But I did run it hard up in the Santa Cruz mountains, and it was a lot of fun. The one I worked on/drove had a header, catback and some sort of cai. It was still dog-slow straight line. You floored it and it just got louder and buzzier, almost painfully so, but didn’t really feel like it was going anywhere. But what a joy it was on the tighter twistier roads. I went back on another board and found the post I made after driving it:

-TJ

i have had a few people i know drive those…i was told about some negative steering issues when accelerating on a corner and a tendancy to spin out on corners at the track here in vegas…in my humble opinion…i think the balance is all wrong for that car…i wouldent invest in a platform that only has limited or costly upgradeability…thats my 2 cents…

And if they only spin out at tracks in Vegas, I guess the OP shouldn’t worry since he’s in PA. :kekegay:

Seriously, do you have any idea what you’re talking about? Do you track/race cars? It’s a RWD mid-engined car, if you’re “accelerating on a corner” which I’ll take to mean accelerating through a corner, sure it’ll spin out if you get it wrong. Same for my 'vette, I guess that platform has limited potential too. RWD mid-engine cars just drive differently and require the proper setup and driving style. But I found the one I ran to be very predictable and controllable and actually confidence inspiring. But I’m okay with having the tail out from time to time. Actually, in the MR-S it feels more like the car is rotating around you, with the front end tucking into the turn and the rear coming out then in a front-engine RWD car where it feels like the car rotates about the motor.

-TJ

i keep it slideways everyweekend bud…i have a 560sel amg mercedes F/R…s13…current build…allso a 928 F/R…the balance is what i was talking about…the way the car rotates when over accelerated in a corner the mid set up rides tend to rotate faster when eccelerating in throu a corner…ie spin out…with a F/R…you can controll this with the eccelerator…once the mid spins its hard to recover due to the engine being in the rear and the wieght …ie…inertia…forcing the car to continue its rotaton even after letting off of the gas…as for the negative steering issue…with negative steering you can counter it by rippin the ebrake and rotating the car in the corner…but not with the mid engine…again the mid engines weight plays an important factor in its rotation…and like i posted…it was what my road racing buds said…not from experience…i do however know…there is limited upgradeability…and as far as a platform for me…i wouldent waste my cash…as far as me not knowing what im talking about…im sure that you race on the track dayly and are some racing god…that’s your point of view lets keep posting with positive information and lets keep it informative…thank you.:rant:

And then…

with negative steering you can counter it by rippin the ebrake and rotating the car in the corner…

Alright dude not to be a dick. But if ripping the ebrake is your idea of getting a car to correct its path mid corner, then we are talking on different levels here. Try cornering normally with the MR-S, its just fine. The engine over the back requires you to adjust your driving style, if you start flinging it around like a civic/miata (picked those two since they are similar size but different drivetrain setups) then yea the MR-S is going to spin. Every time I’ve driven one you can use the engine in the back to your advantage, faster rotation and it has the weight over the drive wheels already so traction is less of a issue (not that it has alot of power to spin the wheels anyways).

there is limited upgradeability…and as far as a platform for me…i wouldent waste my cash.

We just mentioned 2 engine swaps in this thread alone. I’ve seen boosted ones before. You can buy coilovers, wheels, etc for them. What else do you need :confused: Again not defending the MR-S, but they aren’t terrible either.

actually there are 3 engine swaps: 2zz, whatever the camry v6 is, and the k20. you can even boost the stock engine and make a good amount of power from it, without harming it too much.

and i have found out that there is a guy, Che, who makes exact replica PPE parts i believe, or some pretty reputable performance brand, and they are high quality for about a third of the price. i am actually leaning towards this car again because there are many options for it, and it can be a fun little car. still an upgrade from my prelude.

I appreciate everyones opinions. im going to keep doing some research

decided not to go with the spyder. even though i found one that looks sexy as hell and the guy is from spyderchat, and knows pretty much everything there is to know about them, i realized its not very practical. ive decided to go with a wrx, if i can just find one now

Actually he does roadrace/autocross his z06 quite often.