my car died!

I was on my way home from my girlfriends house tonight and im driving on the 404 and the car is running perfectly fine. I get off at 16th and just as i hit the first set of lights the revs drop very low and the engine is barly staying alive so i give it some gas and the engine just bogs out and doesnt want to rev. It was running perfectly fine on the highway, this happend out of the blue totally unexpected. The car is a 1990ka24e with 249,000KM and was running with no problems at all, no buring oil, good compression, no missfire, it was in overall good mechanical condition and now THIS happens.

Im totally stumped i dont know what it could be!

hmmm i had a similar problem before…

check the alternator

hows the battery? do you still have accessory power?

Does it start up again?
Does it crank?
Do the lights/other electrical parts work?

If it starts up, does the engine run smooth/rough?
Can you rev it above 2500-3000 rpm?

The way I understood your post, it’s probably the alternator that’s gone.
On another note, just a joke, but maybe you just ran outta gas? :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

all the accesories work fine and i replaced my alternator not too long ago and my battery is good. The car will not start again, it wants to start up but justs stalls out and when it was running it was running like ass and it wouldnt even rev becuase when i gave it gas it just bogs out completely.

I tried starting it this morning after it was sitting all night and it started up fine and ran smooth for about 10 seconds and then it died again and i cant start it.

Well every internal combustion engine needs 3 things, Air, Fuel and Spark. Check for all three and report back. Sounds to me like possible fuel pump failure.

well i think its the fuel pump like mike said. Its got good spark so its not that.
I hooked up a fuel pressure guage and i was only getting between 20-25psi of fuel pressure and i should be around 43psi i believe. I thought it could have been a bad fual filter so i hooked up the fuel pressure guage without the filter to see if the reading would change and i was still getting 20-25psi so i guess the fuel pump is toast!

Does anyone have a parts car with a good fuel pump or should i just go with a walbro?

its not gas for sure becuase i put half a tank in my car and i only drove about 120km so it cant be out of gas. I can get the car to run but it runs very rough and the fuel pressure is very low. If it were out of gas it wouldnt run at all.

Hate this problem it happend to me not to long ago. First check spark plugs if recently replaceed more than likely it is the fuel pump. You can check by turning the car over not on but to get electrical working you should here the pump priming up the gas if not it’s the fuel pump.

Same scenario as mine if you turn it over and give it gas in neutral it should cut out shortly after on a side note.

Cheers

and hopefully you get it running

Bryce

check your maf connector…or an air leak as well…then the other stuff w2e PM’d about

I have a spare fuel pump and sending unit if you need that.

Make sure you arent running on E like alot of kids around here

One thing I’ve learned and now ALWAYS do whenever there’s a problem is check the fuses! I can’t count anymore how many times something wasn’t working and it’s a blown fuse.

In your case, it’s probably not a fuse, but just check 'em anyways.

It was the fuel pump that was no good. I replaced it today with a Walbro and she’s running great! The only thing is that the Walbro is pretty loud, if you stand at the rear of the car you can hear the pump going, even with my exhaust i can still hear it!

One more question, should i invest in a fuel pressure regulator?
Some people have told me that running a stock ka with a Walbro will make it run too rich.

wassup man… i have the EXACT same problem on my KA with 180km… i need to replace the fuel pump…Andrew do you got a spare one you said?..and if you are going to replace the fuel pressure regulator …plz tell me how…my car wont go pass 3500 when i floor it…well it wud but it takes FOREVER…ummm btw…how much was the Walbro Fuel Pump…is it a good investment…difference in power?..im thinking about to not to jus put a stock one in…and andrew write back about that fuel pump…thanks man

wassup man… i have the EXACT same problem on my KA with 180km… i need to replace the fuel pump…Andrew do you got a spare one you said?..and if you are going to replace the fuel pressure regulator …plz tell me how…my car wont go pass 3500 when i floor it…well it wud but it takes FOREVER…ummm btw…how much was the Walbro Fuel Pump…is it a good investment…difference in power?..im thinking about to not to jus put a stock one in…and andrew write back about that fuel pump…thanks man

Well first make sure that your fuel pressure regulator isnt the problem…if thats ok then there’s really no point in changing the regulator just change the pump. There is no difference in power with the Walbro and its definetly a good investment, and its a very easy install.