My Court Experience

I had traffic court today so I decided to give a play-by-play as I was disgusted with the experience. I will be the first to admit that I am biased against cops as I feel the middle class is exploited. It’s also a bit ironic given my girlfriend is an attorney but she is involved with contracts/corporate/tax/etc… rather than traffic. Let’s get it on!

Flash back to a few weeks ago. I was driving a family friend’s SUV but parked waiting for my family (my aunt/godmother) to call me to be picked up. My aunt just had foot surgery and could barely walk. She was at the corner behind my on a fairly busy road. I was on a side street and pulled out of my parked spot doing a UTURN while the light was red. Yep, guilty. However, for the record, I did it for a reason as I was unfamiliar with the area and I didn’t want her to suffer while she waited as I drove around and/or get lost. A copy was sitting in the middle of road behind me watching the entire time. Is that even legal? So, when I pulled the UTurn, I was facing him but he was across the street. He pulled me over and was rude as expected by a local cop. I was extremely polite and told him why I did it. He must have been about 21 years old and barely about 5’6” and 140LBS soaking wet. He came back to the car and just kind of slapped the ticket in my hand and left. Then, the car turned on his lights/siren and stopped traffic while he pulled a UTurn to get back into the middle. It was almost humorous. I guess his logic is that when people see a cop car pulling a UTurn, they will use the brakes and not hit it but when they see my SUV, they will just plow into me. I read the supporting deposition and it said I was traveling and I congested traffic. This is incorrect. I was parked and I made the UTurn while the light was red.

So, I contact the traffic court’s clerk and find out the prosecutor is the cop. How the fuck is that fair? Seriously, the person who gave you the ticket decides your fate? You are naïve if you don’t believe that the judge doesn’t take the recommended plea (It’s always a plea; they want your money). In fact, it’s probably already predetermined even before you get to court. So why waste the tax payer’s money? Just sent out a bill and be done with it. So, you are screwed because the typical rude ass cop who gave you the ticket also determines your plea. So, if you were rude or pissed him off by trying to get out of the ticket or didn’t suck him off, you basically feel the wraith. Sounds fair right? Since it wasn’t a ADA, I didn’t want Crystal to contact the cop or the judge. It’s a touchy subject given it can be construed as ex parte. So, Crystal called her cousin who is a detective in Orange County and a previous Harlem Cop (He is a champ) who made several phone calls to the guy. Apparently, he is a douche canoe. The plan was for him to tell the judge that he forgot and that the ticket would get thrown out.

I show up to court today at 8:45AM as it was supposed to start at 9:30AM. First of all, the White Plains traffic court is NICE. I hope so given the amount of tax we pay. I never met so many miserable public servants in my life. It’s depressing to watch like 5-10 cops/workers sitting around with a miserable look and a fake “how can I help you sir” attitude. It’s surprising given they get paid well and don’t have to do a frigging thing. Where do I sign up for this job? So, I ask a female officer which court room I go to. She told me I wait in a line against the wall until the cop calls me so they can negotiate a plea. It’s the lottery. Everyone gets a plea! No points! Of course, you think they give a shit about points? So, I wait in line and some rather old cop sits at this cheap little table and pulls up a couple of chairs. I see the future unfold in front of my eyes. He waves me over and says it’s a 4 point violation (4 points? Isn’t wreckless driving or DWI or 30MPH+ 4 points? I thought it was 2?) but he is going to give me some 11 something with no points and just a fine. I ask where the accusing officer and the cop told me he is out on the field. At this point, I know I am fucked. So, I decide to throw that cunt under the bus. I said, “Well, he was supposed to be here. I was told that the ticket would be dropped.”. There was a slight pause and the cop basically said he didn’t believe me but I just sat there and shrugged my shoulders. He tried the old “I don’t know what you mean” expression but he knew what I meant. The cop said he would ask the cop if he saw him. I know he wouldn’t but at least someone knows this prick tried to play games.

I go into court and waited for nearly 1 hour. The judge just randomly shows up. No CELL PHONES! MUSIC! READING! EATING! DRINKING! But, the judge can drink some water. The first guy got his ticket dismissed because the time on the supporting deposition was wrong. That’s a bit trivial but whatever. I thought I was, again, out of this. The next person up was some poor old man who got an inspection sticker ticket. He got it fixed 1 day later and they charged him $130 but reduced to $105. I guess any “moving” violation is now $80 surcharge per NYS. So, $80 + $25 = $105. The old Italian man said outside the court room: “This is fucking ridiculous. $30 and I wasted 3 hours here. That’s like minimum wage.”.

I get up and the judge asks me if I am from Schenectady (I haven’t updated my license in many many years; I look good in the pic back when I was 16) and tried to catch me into admitting I still didn’t update with DMV. I explained I updated it right as I moved and I am up-to-date. I explained the situation including how the supporting deposition was wrong (trying to get the same treatment as the first guy). Nope. $100 + $80 surcharged. I asked the judge if I could ask a question and she said “make it quick” (I almost laughed as I waited nearly an hour for her to show up) and asked why the accusing officer was not available and that the clerk said that officer would be prosecuting the case). She said “this is how we do it” similar to the initial officer who gave me the plea. That’s incorrect. You have a right to question the accusing officer. But, it doesn’t matter. You have no rights. You are ignorant if you think you do. You, like I, are a sheep. Period. What can you do? You can’t piss off the judge if you disagree or try to explain your side. You will be ushered out VERY fast or told to be quiet. You just accept the predetermine fate and move on.

:wowcliff notes would be awesome:number1

It’s not worth cliff notes.

edit: nevermind, thought this was one of those cut and paste stories from another forum, didn’t realize this actually happened to you.

anyways, that’s obviously a shitty scenario, it seems to be luck of the draw. i’ve only been to court once (tint ticket) and my experience wasn’t that bad. my “big” ticket (unauthorized speed contest) was settled out of court.

sorry to hear that you have a crap experience

:vlad

seriously though, that sucks

Am not reading all of that.

that blows man, quick question: could i get out of a speeding ticket if my name is spelled wrong on it??

Then don’t bother posting.

I asked the wife and she said it depends on how “wrong” it is. I guess it’s a judgement call for the judge. Given how bad the economy is, I doubt anyone gets breaks. :frowning:

im gonna try, he spelled it john when i spell it jon…soo i guess ill see in a few months. thanks for asking the wifey.

Find out who is prosecuting the case. If ADA, contact them and request plea by mail.

i already mailed my ticket in, i might just wait til my court date, the da knows me and prosecutes the cases. what exactly do you mean by plea by mail?

Some courts allow plea by mail. I got a speeding ticket years ago and plead via phone and just waited for a letter and sent in a check.

Your post wasn’t needed in here either. Go give rides in the Porscheeeee or something!:excited:excited:excited

gotcha, i’ll just drive 5min to the court house instead. thanks.

gotta love the court systems/cops, what a fuckin joke

Yea it sucks, but again, was it not you who pulled the illegal manuever in the first place?

I do agree however that our traffic court system is a debocle. My GF got a ticket, went to court, waited THREE hours AND she was there first. Officer was extremely rude and talked down to her, that is not necessary.

I know being an officer is no easy life, you get the brunt of the B.S, and it’s a thankless job most of the time. (Not to mention the hours blow, and that can destroy a family life) that’s probably why you see so many unhappy cops.

That’s what they signed up to do though. They can’t handle maintaining themselves in an orderly manner maybe they shouldn’t be cops.

Read all of it. Good read.

Can’t wait to go to NISKY for my reckless driving, 70 in a 30, and unlicensed operation…

God I hope you have an attorney.