My LS1 Powered FD Pictures Condensed

damn dude, looks awesome! would like too see this thing in person!

lol@small turbo.

badass man

Thanks man. I can’t wait to get the underside painted and back together! This project is a ton of work. I <3 it.

A few parts came back from powder. Nothing is final installed yet just in place. A ton more is at powder and I just took the throttle body apart tonight to go to powder as well. Most everything else going on the motor is going to be the grey color covering and “relaxing” the gold if you will. I am VERY happy with how this stuff looks in person to say the least.

Then I spent many hours getting the wheel wells and under body ready for paint. The car is literally down to a unibody shell right now. A little intimidating……but not really haha. A ton a good old labor getting these wheel wells and such to almost ready for paint. Oof

Took apart some axles today. These are the custom centers to ford inners and mazda outers that I run to my 8.8” rear setup. I am having these all powdered as well and changing the inners. Nothing on this build will be overlooked!!! Ok some will but im trying my best haha. Also I am aware one of the Ford inners is not pictured.

Ok no back onto some oh so pretty stuff.

I had already take out every single bushing, ball joint, and bearing that I could which led me to this…in my trunk!

Then everything blasted and now it is all at powder and let me tell you these guys(Suzukiriderman and spam16v) are staying ahead of my schedule which is quite hard to do.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn302/ablake211/imagejpeg_2_3.jpg

Holy shit Drew…this is coming along great. I’m impressed you’re going as far as taking the axles apart merely for powder coating…:tup:! This will no doubt be a rewarding build for you!

Thanks man, Yeah I am going a lil crazy. Even if something takes xx hours if I feel it is the way it is the way it should be done, then that is how I am doing it.

packing, moving, and packing today… new house fun and excitement soon. mental health day away from the office today with all I have going. all 3 ovens get hot tomorrow, I’ll exchange as much of the large parts, and what ever else I get done tomorrow and pick up the sticks and cups friday PM, or saturday depending how our schedules coincide. might be when the sun’s up so i can see the elephants and giraffes again! yay aminals.

So I went out to clean up the garage before I get started on installing 220/gas and all new power out there tomorrow for the new compressor/welder. Figured I would snag a few pics of some stuff.

100% ready for paint. Just took one pic for ya. The wheel wells and underbody are all so clean you could eat off of it. 

Front/Rear subframes, Trans brace, 8.8” mount back from powder. Sorry I didn’t snag pics before I stacked it all together like this.

Wheel bearings, studs, caliper rebuild kits

New fuel rails

Adj alt bracket(warning might be on wrong just tossed it on lol)

Undercoat I am using and the gun with it.

New compressor 

Everything came in to make the turbo kit, doing everything in stainless, didn’t feel like unpacking it all for a pic srry.

holy shit.

Long day! Paint tomorrow unless I wake up and have no motivation.

MOAR POWER!

Almost paint time!

Wow great work this car is going to be a killer, it’s nice to see more swapped RX7s locally, one day we’ll all have to get a meet organized!:wink: I’d love to see this car in person some day! keep up the great work!

Undercoat finally sprayed!!!

With the pearl gray subframes, wheels, calipers, black wheel wells and car I think it will all flow great.

Here is the progress as it stands on the LS1 engine harness.

Drew and I knew of some issues when we pulled it out of the car…but, I uncovered more.

Exposed wires:

Good thing this does not power anything high voltage, oh wait:

Just to point out…holes this small can lead to a completely torched car.

Broken wires suck the most because half the time you can’t find what they went to very easily:

Melted wires:

Umm, WTF…?!..This was all the same wire traced back to the main loom:

When I pulled out all the dead wire I had over 2 feet of singed, melted goodness:

Cool, hidden treasures:

MOAR hidden garbage:

I’ll let the pictures do the talking:

Other “problems” just involved horrid loom and massive amounts of electrical tape:

Now that all the issues have been identified I can begin fixing this debacle. The plan is to re-wire and re-loom the entire harness. Some connectors are being lengthened while others are being relocated. I spent the better part of the weekend replacing all the bad wiring. Right now I am about 18 hours into this harness on just stripping loom/tape, cleaning, inspecting and repairing.

Here you can see the melted black/white wire and the exposed orange wire:

Due to re-looming the wire each end will be finished. Therefore, I need to get tubing on the wire I want to cover. For the wires that are not cut/damaged already simply remove the pins. Pins can be removed, usually. No need to cut wires.

Slide main tubing on to cover the wire bundle that will get loomed:

Cut exposed area of wire. Don’t forget that every connection needs insulation so be sure to slide a piece of tubing on before you solder it. Then, re-strip for clean copper and wrap the wire. This is where I get the most questions/debate. Do me a favor, hook your index fingers together and pull. Yeah, STONGEST. FUCKING. CONNECTION.

Then slide the tubing over the connection and shrink.

Most of this is “wash, rinse, and repeat.” I got stuck on a few wire lengths and locations. A quick trip to Drew’s garage got me back on track. More to come…

Some more stuff from powder. Yes I even powdered my boor and hood hinges. This stuff looks SOOOOO good in person. I am going to start putting the car back to being a roller this weekend probably then start making this darn turbo kit. Oh where does the time go.

Now to show some contrast of the colors together.

Sooooooooo sorry I didn’t get any in progress pics I was ummmm busy. Motor and trans installed. The subframe and everything look SO GOOD. Under the car looks mint as hell. My new bellhousing will be powdercoated and I want to make the trans look cleaner as well. As always I am taking pics at night with limited lighting so I did some with and without flash to show the colors.

Well I wasn’t able to get as much as I wanted done this week mostly due to laziness but here is some progress pics. I need to rebuild the calipers and figure out what I am doing with the axle boot situation. Then just replace the tie rod boots and we are good to go. Maybe by next weekend we shall see.

After I already started hitting the rear with a wire wheel for awhile

Painted 1st coat then 2nd using nason chassis coat

SS brake lines for the entire car. Yeahhhh Boieeeee obv zip tied to the old ones

Powdercoated driveshaft and oh yeah I pressed all of my bushings back in. All delrin and the pillow balls.

such a sick build…any updates?

I have another thread that is up to date.