My New Wheel

HAH

I waited a month once to download every episode of top gear :smiley:
Had that torrent going every night.
I’ll grab the real thing if the demo is solid (just for online play)

Hahaha your computer has a nicer steering wheel than most cars. :lol:

Quick! Get a cage for your computer desk!

DFP has been pretty good, but after this year’s auto-x season and jumping right into GT4, I noticed the flaws that I never noticed before. The biggest one is how slowly it returns to center.

BTW, I should mention it here, the racing game to play this winter is probably going to be rFactor for the PC. The more I read about it, the better it sounds.

Me too. debating on building a PC now, I’m way overdue, and rFactor may be the motivation I need.

I haven’t tried any of these but it looks like there are plenty to choose from
http://www.mininova.org/search/?search=gtr

My complaint with that Logictec setup, despite looking slick… look how far apart the brake and gas pedals are… first thing I would be doing would be tearing down/redrilling so I could actually heel/toe.

Well the demo of GTR is rather kickass.
And now it is time to man up and get a wheel…

Suggestions?

Logitech is way to go nowadays.

Or if you are really, really, really cheap you could find an old MS FF sidewinder wheel for $10-30 range on eBay. The gear drive is noisy, but I’ve beat the fuck out of mine for 3 years now with no issue. Not sure if it will work with Vista though.

Wanna get together and lan some GTR2?
I need to buy a wheel first though.

Hell yeah, I already have it loaded let me know. :slight_smile:

Downloading the rFactor trial as we speak…I know nothing about it, and the website is quite vague. What sets this sim apart from popular titles like gtr2?

The sim is open source, i.e. the code is open to the gaming community for customization, modding, etc. Sky’s the limit.

Image Space, the company that made the game is pretty big in the sim world. They did a lot of EA’s sim games (F12000, Sports Car GT, etc. etc.) for EA before they got sick of EA’s tactics and told them to shove it.

If you ever check out some of the sites like the US Pits, Sports Car GT, EA Nascar 200x, etc. were big in the sim world for modability. People took the physics engine (which was awesome), and added new cars, tracks, etc and basically extended the life of the game 10x over. Touring cars, Australian V8 cars, LeMans style cars, tracks like The Ring (not spelling it), Brands Hatch, etc. etc. were all made for these games.

I see…so by downloading the trial, there’s nothing else to buy?

Not exactly. I’m assuming since I haven’t bought the game yet, but the trial is just that, a trial. A lot of the features and database libraries you will need for development projects are included in the main purchase. I’m pretty sure they lock down many of the features (extensively tuning the car, etc) in the trial version, and they will code it slightly differently from the main release. So if you like it, you will probably need to buy the full version. But the full version will be worth it, because the mod community will be expanding it to the point where you may not need another racing sim for a very long time.

After reading some posts over at RSC forums, I just picked up GTR2 today. Many there seemed to prefer it to rFactor, and it was only $20 at Best Buy. Now all I need is a new PC to run it on. I almost walked out of there with an HP that was well beyond the recommended specs but I know better than to buy an off-the-shelf OEM computer without doing a little research first…

Here are some wheels, not sure which you would like.

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000H4EO6K.01.SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V59884531.jpg

Well Neurokinetik brought over GT-R 2 and we tested it on Itagaki’s Falcon Northwest gaming rig using Neurokinetik’s new Logitech G25…

I’m hooked :jawdrop:

I’ll be picking up my copy tomorrow. Very realistic racing, plus you can setup a designated server. This is my excuse to finally build an up to date desktop computer.

Minglor/Fuzzy do you guys have a dedicated server setup? I read in the instructions what seems to be the ability to have a fullout online league, with points and stuff. What’s your experience with this?

Definitely time to form a league. After seeing GTR2 in action, the console games look like crap. Why have I been wasting my time with these console games again? :gotme:

GTR2. :tspry:

Gonna have to order a G25 this week.