My SR's acting weird. updated. RESOLVED! not SR specific.

Probably passenger side (driver on yours) of my engine bay, dunno if you’d have the same amount of room though. (Since my master cylinder is on the opposite side) You can see there isn’t much there except the A/C heat exchanger, and I plan to yank that in the future anyway.

Since I have two seperate “vents” for the valve covers and the exhaust one is on that side it makes sense to me, I can run form the exhaust side, to the catch can and then back into the intake via the same place it is now.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~gschau/silvia/DSCF0010.jpg

yeah i want it on the drivers siade (my drivers side) too, but i dont know if i have the room. How are you planning on the keeping the steelwool in palce without it getting accidentally sucked into the intake?

Probably put a screen on it, or more likely I’m probably going to vent it and use the existing connection for a recirculating BOV.

There wouldn’t be much flow through the catch can since normally the PCV valve would be closed. If you’re worried about the steel getting sucked into your intake then just leave it out, the can will still do MOST of it’s job.

Or you can put in something bigger, like large shavings (full pieces) or springs or something…
They work best if they have somewhere for the oil to condense on besides the wall of the can.
I might even try to make a “grid” of somekind that the air would pass through rather than the steel wool.
Just means more fabbing, harder to do, harder to drain :wink:

wait i got an idea give me a few minutes to draw it up on mspaint.

http://forums.son240sx.ca/album_pic.php?pic_id=562

woot![/img]

Should work, there is still a “small” chance of the steel getting through, I was just thinking of using screen door material, similar layout with a divider that goes part way down, have 3 or 4 pieces of the screen there
The screen would probably catch “most” of the oil.

THe more I tihnk of steel wool the less I’m inclined to use it, but it would still be the best at getting the oil out of the air and still let the air through…

If it was to atmosphere I’d use steel wool, if I recirculate i think I’d just use screens.

well, you could extend the screen to the bottom of the divider so that it covers the whole tube, then rest the steelwool on the air input side, not output.

It’s just that even a SMALL amount of steel getting into the engine is bad bad bad :wink:
It probably wouldn’t, especially since very little air would even pass through the thing, I’m just paranoid :wink:
I’ll maybe fab something up this weekend and see how it looks.

so are you suggesting just screen? maybe 2 layers?

Worth testing, and if it doesn’t work as well as planned then just drop some steel wool in there :wink:

I wonder if there’d be a way to “clean” the steel wool to make sure there aren’t any small particles to worry about…
Or maybe some kind of plastic would work, like a scouring pad.

i have a feeling that the oil would be really hot, and might melt the pad and compress it, … could cause some problems.

a think screen should be good, but it would have to be metal, the steel wool idea is a good one. And what do you plan to use to seal the tubes into the side of the canister (and other things that would have to be attached to the canister), maybe silicone? epoxy? glue gun!

Probably epoxy a connector on there.

You’re right about the pad, probably melt.
Gotta keep thinkin…
Screen would work though, or even some screen bunched up.

I only worry about the wool because of how it’s produced and usually when you open the package there are little bits in it.

hmmm, i’ll have to search through my dads stuff later today to see if i can find anything useful.

Haha yeah I’m eating at my parent’s place tonight, I’m going to go digging through my dad’s random junk in the basement for useful parts.

I can’t believe I forgot…

Scouring pads, they ALSO come in copper and stainless, that’d be PERFECT.
Infact that’s what I’m going to use!
I’ll build it this weekend probably.

hey, can you get a picture of the scoring pad?

so did you build one?

Here’s an update: Today as i was leaving for work i tightened one bolt that goes into the turbo outlet, and it fucking snapped, so now my car is leaking exhaust smells like shit, AND THE PROBLEM RETURNED!!! so it looks like that was part of the problem too i guess. Hopefully i will fix it soon, except half of the bolt is threaded into the turbo and i have no idea how to get it out … any suggestions?

also to add to my bad day so far, it took me 45 min to drive down the 403 to the 407 in hamilton (usually takes 10min), and as i backed up into my spot i went too far and scrapped my exhaust on the curb!

:x :x :x :x :x !

Get an extractor kit, OR if you’re uber paranoid about fubar’in your turbo you could call around to some machine shops and just ask for a techie and offer $20 for him to pull it out for you.

i dont want to remove anything, … cause i’m lazy. And if i have to remove the turbo its because i’m getting all the seals welded shut. If i remove just the turbo outlet i should be able to get in there are pull it out, but i dont want to remove the outlet.