wierd sr problem

Hey guys, like it says in title im having a weird problem which started about yeasterday. Right now its completly stock, the problem is when driving at WOT full boost i notice now that its not going as fast as it should be going. Its like there is something resticting the car from going its full potential at WOT. If you have an sr i know you know what im talking about, even at stock form the sr pulls at WOT. This happens in every gear really noticable in 2nd gear, the RPM shoots up normal but the car is just not moving even when RPM is way up in the 6000’s. If anyones got any input on this it would be great thax guys.

I know what you’re talking about.

You should probably list your mods and what you’ve changed recently just to make it easier for people to help figure out your problem.

The RPM’s are raising just like they did before? Engine making the same noise as before but just not accelerating? If so, this could mean that your clutch is pooched.

yea the rpm’s are going up but the car doesnt feel like its accelerating all that much, like something is holding it back. And i have no mods yet, its stock right now. I’ve changed the injectors but they are stock ones, CAS, and i had to use my ka24e fuel pressure regulator cuz the one i had on the sr was just not working right.

Sounds like a clutch.

RPM’s increase but none in speed = clutch.

yeah, if the engines spinning, but the wheels aren’t turning as fast as they did. somethings slipping. and the only thing that could be doing this to the best of my knowledge would be the clutch. is your shifting sometimes hard to get it in gear, or hard to downshift, or at a stop, hard to find 1st?? my buddys did that kind of stuff just before the clutch started slipping and then it all went away with the new clutch.

however if your engine and tires are both spinning at the same rate they used to, but the engine just doesn’t seem as eager to rev. that’s another problem entirely.

+1 for clutch related issues. Did change ur clutch when swaped sr while it was out?
And is it that ur rpm gage moves faster and non sync to ur speedo needle? Or is it just ur car just don’t feel as torquy/ responsive as it did before(check for boost/exhaust leaks)

Okay, not the clutch, and waht its doing is pretty fucked up. At full boost the car jst does not want to accelerate like it should be at full boost. Its not as torquy like someone said, but its drastically not as torquy as it used to be. The exhaust noise also changes when im in WOT now it seems to get deeper and louder but car not really moving, i mean it moving but not like an sr should be moving in full boost. Sometimes it like it drives a little then something completely stops it, like a sudden jerk that makes the car completely slow down. Anyone think sounds like my maf or turbo might be garbage?

bump

how did u just rule out the “clutch” issue all of a sudden… i’ve had issue’s like that before and 99% of the time its been clutch related.

hmm… have you changed the plugs since you got it?

the loss of power and change in exhuast tone sound like either boost leak or exhuast leak.

yea i thought it was a boost leak too, but i checked all the turbo, intercooler piping and they are fine. I did have an exhaust leak but fixed it on the weekend. Does anyone think it might be ignition timing, or the maf being messed?

if it feels like you are spinning the tires all the way through 4th then your clutch is done and slipping … I had a friend try to tell me this and I had to tell him it was the clutch and laugh

i know by what you guys mean when i have it in gear and it doesn’t move but the rpm’s move. Thats not whats going on, thats why i ruled out clutch.

Maybe your turbo is pootched. Do you have a boost guage? Are you making good boost?

well, if you want some good advice, then you need to share alot more details with everyone. it’s hard to help you out when all you say is “I ruled that out”. we need details and what you have tried allready ect…

okay what i did was test the clutch, i put it in first and let the clutch go to see if i would stall. I did so i am assuming my clutch is still okay cuz it did stall, and i think if the car didnt stall that would mean i have a garbage clutch right? I check all piping going to turbo and away, intercooler piping, all my vacuum hoses, even checked if all the bolts connecting the turbo to the manifold were tight. Everything looked okay and was tight, no leaks. Since i put the motor in i’ve had to put in a new CAS, found some stock injectors on ebay, i have my old KA24E fuel regulator on the sr motor cause the one on the sr was no good, changed spark plugs, had all the wiring checked out properly. Also got a blow off valve but for some reason i can’t get it to work so i bought another pipe to put back in instead of the pipe with the bov. Thats all i’ve done. The turbo is holding to the stock 7 psi but for some reason before i started having this problem the turbo was boosting to around 11 psi and now its staying at 7 psi. So maybe my turbo is gone, but does anyone have an i dea for me now that i have put everything i’ve done to the motor?

How old is the motor? Check all your vaccum lines in regards to the BOV not working.

As for the slipping issues, your clutch can feel fine at low rpm and low load (like mine did) and slip at high rpm. Sometimes the SR20 motors sit on a shelf in japan and the oil seals dry out. My rear main did that and the clutch started slipping, but only under wot.

Check your bellhousing for oil. There is a little diagnotstic plate at the bottom of the bell housing, pop it off and check for oil.

your turbo might have been spiking because of the BOV opening when it shouldn’t have, a boost leak or a faulty boost gauge, or problem with wastegate. and 11psi on stock turbo is perfectly safe, however I wouldn’t want to run it constant that high on the stock intercooler. if you can’t figure out the BOV, don’t just decide not to run one! they increase the life of your turbo drasticaly!

and your clutch test is pure genius!! just kidding…
dropping the clutch at idle you might have 20HP spinning that flywheel, if your clutch slipped then, you wouldn’t even be able to drive the thing. when your clutch starts slipping at higher RPM’s at WOT you probably have 100HP+ spinning that flywheel. BIG DIFFERENCE!! you obviously need to take this to a shop or get another member with alot of mechancal experience to take it for a drive.
good luck!