Name Brand Parts...rant

people just like to get off when ppl ask about parts for example…“that sick exhaust, where’d u get that?”, and they get to say “its super rare dart izumi exhaust, i had to import it from japan and paid over $1000 for it.” they feel it make them special or somethin. id rather just grab some 3" piping and make my own, weld the two pieces onto the end, put a bit of a sideways, upward angle and polish the end. then when ppl ask me bout it i can say i had that shit custom made myself motherfucker. cost me 200 bucks and a case of beer. and it looks and sounds exactly the same as buddys super rare jdm yoshichan kazumato chinachinallucaneatbuffet $1,000 exhaust. in the end it there car, its there money. they can do what they want. its just another fad, like the fast and the furious ricer look eveyone and there brother was hooked on for years

Of course it makes you cooler having name brand parts.

It’s so easy to tell the difference in quality when you put the two parts side by side. Yah sure there is lots of knock off shit that is a good deal and brand name shit that’s waaaay over price, you just need to know where it’s worth spending the money.

I’ve put my buddy club spec 2 exhaust side by side with a dart izumi and it’s obvious how much better quality the dart is.

Don’t get all bent because you can’t afford bomb parts.

yup…

some branded stuff is way way better, worth the money… some is not.

it’s all on a case by case basis really.

Dart exhuast is fucking badass…

JIC multi-link arms? no thanks

HKS cams? yes please?

OBX cams? nah i’ll pass

Garrett turbo? yes thank you

China-turbo? Bye bye

KW Coilovers? sure thing

D2 or godspeed coilovers? nah i’ll pass

knock-off downpipe? sure

knock off BOV? not really

knock off intercooler piping? yes please

knock off differential? umm no

I dont think having a full exhaust 3’’ from the manifold to the tip is just a fad.

+1

if I couldnt afford anything better than tear drops, I’d be pissed off too

darts are only expensive in north america

they go for less than $500 in japan and basically a straight pipe made of full stainless steel

i think its a copy of the trust…i’m not sure which one came out first

either way, exhaust is gangstur and gangsturrr parts come with a somewhat high price.

or you can be like everyone else and have an apex dual one for 1/2 the price…its all preference.

edit: its also because its rare as fuck. scarcity = high price. economics 101

^^^ yep yep

not even economics 101, scarcity = higher price is common sense 101

i thought everyone knew not to buy knock offs that actually have moving parts.

if you do, then you’re ghetto as fuck and will pay for it in the long run.

im sure all of us have seen countless pics of cracked rota’s or obx quality manifolds.

why dont we all just sit down and agree… if you see the average price for something(lets say a clutch kit) is $400 stage 2 450ibs tourqe. do u A. pay top doller for a well known Spec. mediem for a well trusted ACT or go on ebay and spend $100??

if i can afford for it to break ill try the cheap, if i never want the risk and head ache of changing it ill pay top doller and sure the bragging rights goes hand in hand (think about who the fuck does a nice RELIABLE sr20 swap and dosent brag atleast once…)

now comparing lets say Greddy Strut bars(300 F and R), they work as intended… not much can go wrong and if you break it and your car gets warped chances are your car was fucked anyways… now spend 600(front only) for some jap scrap cause its 6inches wide and 3 inches thick with more welding rod then actual steel just so u can say “checkz thiz tool bench i gotz under my hood from japan mang”(most of you know whom im refering to) is rediculous and derserves to be laughed at.

I don’t think that this is just about cars. Name brands relate to everything in general. The best example are clothes. Why do girls spend $200 on a pair of jeans when she can probably get it for much less if she were to make it herself to go directly to a sweat shop or something. And it’d still be the same quality or even better.

People just feel better about themselves when they buy name brand shit. It’s also like people buying fake louis vutton purses as opposed to the real shit. I mean, is anyone even going to notice the difference in general?

So subtle… Bottom line is if you can afford the good stuff you get it, if you can’t you can only bitch about it. Most strut bars do the job, its a dress up peice that looks fucking gangstur that was neither $600 nor made of steel. Some of the most expensive parts on any car worth talking about you can’t even see.

Am I the only one that finds this laughable?

iono about the clothing example.

go into wal-mart or Canadian superstore and try on their Joe brand…

i was in there buying groceries and saw $15 dress shirts OMG! so i tried one on… fuck that shit.

Go into the Burberry store and try on a $150 shirt… fuck it’s incredble. the cut and trim. the materials, the fit…

mass-market clothing it very much a one-size fits all type thing. european clothing is just so fucking kick ass… and you can find it on sale all the time… just gott alook hard.

i bought 2 cashmere sweaters from Saks 7 years ago and i still there them today. Now i only ever buy cashmere sweaters because even though they cost 3 times more than a cotton or wool one if you take care of them they last for years and years and they are just too wicked.

i will always hesitate at buying a dress shirt that is not european made.

car parts is a purely function-based consumer driven market. all shirts to essentially the same time, cover your upper torso.

Wheels and aero can be likened to clothing from a style perspective, but no one sees your coilovers or your brake pads…

from a dollars to dollars perspective the clothing example works… but man, i am soo over cheap clothes… and i am not a fashion snob… i only buy 3-4 articles of clothing a year… i just dont shop at canadian malls anymore.

Bing you high maintenance bastard! lol

from what i hear, in the end, the best aftermarket company jdm or non-jdm will only have completed about a 1/6th of oem durability testing. just another way to look at things. but i think the decision all depends on how extensively/demandingly you plan on using the part in the end.

Show me how many cars on here run on a daily basis and take a real beating at the track with a bunch of no name parts then count how many do with the real shit.

Its been said before and Ill say it again. You gotta pay to play.

Trust me, one day you’ll see that paying for the overpriced shit is actually worth it. It takes time and maturity to realize that. I used to buy crap and then one day I realized that it cost me more in the long run to have it on the car then if I bought a quality piece.

People will always hate just like girl with small tits hate on chicks with big tits that show them off.

No one really sees your underwear or socks either. So why do they sell expensive branded shit?

When I talked about the shirts thing, I meant get it made somewhere else, not go to wal-mart. I was relating it to the guy who said that you can make an exhaust for like $200 as opposed to buying a $1000 brand name one.

But what I’m trying to say is that people will still always pay for brand name shit.

hahaha peter that was awesome. I couldn’t agree more with you on that. +1. Best post in this whole thread.

+10000000
This applies to everything in life. The Talon has cost me SO much more money than the G. It’s way more costly to have a cheap car than an expensive car.

If you can’t admit that this strut bar is baller then you must be jealous.

Someone had a full bottle of haterade lol
If I had that STB, it wouldn’t be on my car, I’d be rubbing it on my crotch.

who’s the douche that said he could remake the izumi for $200 go for it, let us know how it fits, and how long it takes you to learn how to tig that stainless flawlessly

Same for the guy who thinks he could get it made for $400 with the apexi, have fun.